Soylent Green

bbbb

Have any of you seen Soylent Green? If so what did you think of the big themes presented in the movie? Do they compare to the challenges currently facing the world? (apart from using 60s era phones and typewriters in the first half of the 21st century...)

I saw the original movie and both loved and was disturbed by it. Seeing it the first time, I wasn't ready for the punch line. Subsequent viewings, though, never really alluded to soylent green being made from people until Saul's trip to the euthanasia center sort of gave you a veiled hint to that being the case.

The only realism I can relate to the current world is the food shortage situation occurring in Asia and India. I can't throw Africa into this mix since they've always had food shortages. It will be interesting to see how the remake is handled.

http://www.moviesonline.ca/freeemail/movienews_56/movienews_1741.html

The big themes were overpopulation, eco-devestation, and Soylent Green Is People, weren't they?

The movie is based on a book, you know? The idea of overcrowding and how it affects/will affect humanity's ability to act humanely has been around for a long time. Usually, the scenario means that humanity did/will damage the ecology as it eats everything possible. Cannabilism seems to be the easiest answer and most probable outcome for some writers.

I don't mind, as long as I get to eat disease free food and don't get eaten myself. :grin:

j/k

Totally agree. ;D

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE! DO YOU HEAR ME, YOU DAMNED DIRTY APES? IT'S PEEEEPLE!!!!!!

Too funny!

Laughing_RoflSmileyLJ.gif