> good big screen 15.4

> must hae good ventaliation

> 2 year warantee would be nice

> good make too

i was thinking of a dell currently i have a HP laptop

thanks for ur help

£500 O_O

That's about 650 euros.

You won't get anything special or guaranteed high quality for such a price.

Looks to me like you're looking for a budget laptop. That means:

- no gaming

- no very good battery life

- no high quality screen

imo, the best you can do in this case is just buy the cheapest you can, whose looks you like and take extra warranty for the left-overs of your budget.

Don't expect anything fancy. ^^

btw. I went to the Dell website and the cheapest Dell laptop I could find, that I'd consider buying, was 700 euros. Tho I'm certain you could find a similar model cheaper elsewhere, Dell had a free 1-to-3 year on-site warranty upgrade available which would make it competitive again.

hmmm, I'm not to sure what notebook prices are like in the UK but cant get much with that here is AUS. £500 will give you about AU$1050. If you were willing to spend another $500(£250), you could get what your after.

I recently went through this and ended up with a mac, if you want vista I would recommend a Toshiba for your instance. Very reliable and most do look quite nice with a glossy black finish. If not that a Sony.

I'm not a big fan of the dell/hp/Acer notebooks, they seem to come have problems more often than not.. Not to say that if you got one you'll definitely get a problem, but they have a higher

rate of being so, IMO and from what I've found out of course.

On a Toshiba for $1500(£750) you could get 2gb ram, dedicated 128mb video card, 2.4ghz core 2 duo, 15.4" monitor, dvd burner of course, Wifi, blue tooth, looks good and vista stock. you would have to consult who ever you were purchasing it off for a waranty.

BUT, just remembered then, there is a new sony out, which is very cheap i think $1100 - $1200. And i believe it comes in pink! lol

I'll track it down.

---------------------------------

OK, i found it.. Heres the link for purchase at amazon, got some specs there etc.

Only thing is it comes with 14.1" display. :thinking:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VGN-CR320E-Laptop-Processor-Premium/dp/B00108IHJM

41w2Qm2nRmL._AA280_.jpg31pGl55hN6L._AA280_.jpg

I'll see if i can find the Toshiba models!

---------------------------------

I found the Toshiba one i was looking at a couple weeks ago.

Its the Toshiba Satellite A200/G01 Notebook.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XC4204

This is an Australian site so just cut the prices in half for pounds pretty much.. Unless electronics are cheaper/more expensive in UK.

Its also a nice looking notebook! :cyclops:

Toshiba_SatelliteA200(2).jpg

humm i picked up a samsung q45 for around £550, not bad has vista HP, 1.66 c2d, 2 gigs ram, 250gb hdd, 1.3pxcam, upto 6hrs battery.

down side is well its small (1.9kg), 13" screen oh yeah it has an intel onborad graphics...

(well you didn't say you wanted a gaming platform!)  :p

The only way to know which is 'best' is to find some similarly critical people who actually have those models and ask them.

From just the specs, I can say the DELL is both cheaper and has a faster processor. The other specs are virtually identical, at least the parts that they've published in easily accessible places. The Sony looks like it's had some more money spend on the exterior design, but that could just as well be photoshop at work.

In short, the pure specs seem to indicate the DELL is the better buy, though that doesn't say anything about ease of use and reliability of course. =)

we do a lot of laptop repairs, could be because we get a lot of students.

So stay away from toshiba, acer and mitac. they are our most popular repairs

sony vaio's are great. only ever had the one .............well two if you count the one that had a fist imprint

hp seem to be good too

I guess a big question is how long do you expect to need it? and for what? If it is games and heavy graphics then a laptop may not be the best bet unless you are prepared to spend big.

Budget laptops are fine depending on what you're using it for. If it's just word processing, older games like Unreal Tournament and watching movies then a budget laptop should do fine.