Dr Who S4E09 Forest Of The Dead (2 of 2)

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 9 of the 2008 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome.

[glow=white,2,300]This Episode will air at 7:00pm (GMT +1) [/glow]

Synopsis:

As the shadows rise and march, the Doctor forges an alliance with the mysterious River Song. But can anyone stop the Vashta Nerada? While the Doctor discovers long-buried secrets and revelations about his own future, the sinister Nodes declare that Donna is doomed.

That was a powerful episode with David Tennant doing a great performance. I'm going to have to watch it again to get all the nuances I think but I liked it a lot. The hints about "River Song" (ok that was a weak bit with that name lol) knowing the Doctor's name and their future together were good, I've told my daughter to keep watchng the series and maybe in 50 years she'll find out what that was on about :)

But any show featuring the delectable Talullah Riley is a winner in my book :)

I didnt see it until early Sunday morning but was well worth that little extra waiting. If Moffat continues with his usual excellent storylines Ill be more than happy but I prefer his 1 episode titles but I can live with his doubles :)

The net was crawling last week with rumours and theories about CAL, River Song etc and where some were close to the truth it wasnt as dramatic as some of them made out to be, ok she was definitely just someone from his far future so nothing for us classic whovians to get excited about as many thought she may have been a future incarnation of the Doctor, a living TARDIS or even Romana.

I was intrigued however by what she whispered in the Doctor's ear, apparently she whispered his real name. I really hope were not going to find out what it is, it will completely ruin the mystery of this 45 year old show. If they do reveal it , then 2000ad may as well take off Judge Dredd's helmet and show us his face after all these years.

Gotta keep the mystery alive guys. :)

Season almost done, awaiting anxiously for Davros.

LMAO! "Judge Dredd's helmet" I trust you cried Sacriledge!!! upon seeing Stallone do that very act in the movie, like me? :)

But Dr Who's name hmm it'd have to be something embarassing like Humphrey... actually Dr Humprey Who kinda works, don't it :)

YAAAAAWN!

Predictable in the extreme. I didn't QUITE see ER girl dying but it was obvious she'd not be coming back anytime soon.

More specifically, the whole artificial reality was rather predictable and extremely tedious. I realised how this episode was such a monumental waste... We had people running around in a library... Libraries can be pretty creepy but this made them less than scary. There was just so little suspense. Pretty boring, really.

How can you fail to make it scary?! Bah.

Now Ive seen the second part it now all makes more sense, over all I did like this 2 parter, not quite up there with Moffets other great stories (Blink/Girl in the fireplace) but certainly better than most of the rest of this season....

Ms Tate acting in my view along with Tennents was very good!

But truely its the Davros story I cant wait for!! (and rose being back in it!).

Hmmmm. I did really like this episode. I suppose I was just glad they didn't dissapoint us with the conclusion to this two-parter, since they can sometimes screw them up, like with the Sontaran story.

It was nice, but some predictable moments - I still loved it whenever the Doctor said "You've got 2 shadows" or something - it was a bit overused, but it was still scary :D

I had already suspected that the girl was CAL, though I am still curious about Alex Kingston's character - will we see her again?

Well I thought Doctor Moon was going to be a bad guy but he was simply a manifestation of the 'Doctor Moon' orbiting above the library planet.

Probably not Moffat's best but still better than most.

Midnight could be scary, I love things that go BUMP and noone knows what it is Mwahahahah! :)

It was a bit of a flat ending, I felt... the logic of sticking cables to your brain was totally dubious and clearly an ironic way of having the intersecting lives of the Doctor and ER doctorologist be juxtaposed with her last meeting of him being their first. It was mind numbingly idiotic and so totally pointless that any sentiment that might have been invested in the moment was totally lost...

The artificial reality was just kind of stupid... it felt like it was just a dead end beyond providing some semblance of a happy ending. You knew those collar things would have to do something.

I think that the "count your shadows!" thing was a bit too much like "Don't blink!" Also, the face things... naff. Totally naff. All in all, it just didn't feel like the parts fitted together and the tension was pretty weak. I'd say that it failed because it was trying to do too much but ultimately became somewhat listless.

• TFMF unpinned this topic