Comments On The HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE Movie...

WreckGar

I liked it, because it was yet another way to tell the story.

My family has seen it twice now (BTW it's funnier if you watch it in a drive, probally because you can talk to your other passengers)

But I have heard too many complaints from people who have never heard of any other of the Hitchhiker series, that it was just stupid. One guy at work was complaining about the CGI effects (There aren't any, he thought there was), there was too much dialoge, why wasn't it more like Monty Python.

His comments made me mad, because.

Most people I have talked to don't realize that you can make a sci-fi comedy. I guess the two genres are not supposed to be put together in their minds.

Why does all British humor have to be measured against Monty Python? Haven't these people seen Black Adder, Red Drawf, The Young Ones, the Office, or even Keeping up Apperances.

Why does a story have to rely on special effects?

I won't go into that, but it gives you an idea of his mentality.

These were the type of people that had to be introduced to this story. I'm glad they didn't dumb it down to the point where he said "Awsome movie." I would have cried my eyes out.

I will buy the DVD, it will sit right next to the TV series VHS's

One guy at work was complaining about the CGI effects (There aren't any' date=' he thought there was)[/quote']

Isn't Marvin a CGI-effect?

mind you, I haven't seen the movie yet, so I personally don't really know, and I'm a bit scared to go. Hollywood has a history of butchering up potentially good movies.

ok, when i go and see based on book movies, i never have any high hopes, because no matter what, they are going to slaughter it, and even with low expectations, i was very dissapointed...but, i did kinda like the dolphins sining a show tune at the beginning :D :p :D

I noticed most of the script omissions already mentioned, and was dissapointed.

I was extremely dissapointed with how they did Zaphod. In the older video version, the second head looked fake, but I still liked it. Why did they have to abandon the side-by-side heads? With today's special effects they could have made it look completely real. Then again, we would have only had half the movie to enjoy them thanks to that kook that wanted to be worshipped. (Was he a rip-off from the "Wild Wild West" movie?)

With a voice as great as Stephen Fry for the book, I wish they wouldn't have cut so much of that part. But I suppose they didn't think it would translate so well to the big screen, or younger audiences would find it boring.

I did like Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast and his whole sequence with Arthur. Neat effects. And I thought they did a good job of demonstrating the extreme beautocratic nature of the Vogons. (But as someone already observed, the poetry reading itself was messed up.)

Overall, I'd say it's Hitchhiker's Guide Lite. Less filling, fewer calories, nonfat, low cholesterol, sugar free.

Heh... about 'younger audiences'... I'm kind of amazed at what 'younger audiences' find boring... and disturbed that these 'younger audience' members are as old as 30 to 40... I think it's more of a general decline.

Anyways, going to see the movie today... that and Star Wars EP 3, now that I have some spare moments to rub together ^^