ENT: Star Trek Enterprise - The miserable years

rugger

I have just been thinking, and have noticed something. Is it just me, or does enterprise seem crewed by a bunch of miserable farts.

When I watch TNG, I can easily see that the crew actually enjoys their job .... they are having fun romping around the galaxy in their starship. You can feel it in the way Patrick Stewart plays the captain, almost every time he says "engage", you can tell that Picard can't wait to find out what is around the next corner. Same with most of the other characters. Their enthusiasm is infectious and it draws the viewer in.

On the other hand, Enterprise seems like the exact opposite. The captain has barely smiled in all 4 seasons, he seems like he is only on the ship because it is his job. The other characters are hardly any better, with only the doctor ever really showing any joy in his work. Sure, they take a lot of pride in their work, but there simply isn't any fun.

It was only really the mirror episodes that showed this difference to me, because unlike most eps, the crew of enterprise seem to be at least having some fun.

Guest c4evap

You may well have hit the nail on the head. I noticed that as well. Probably one reason I didn't become more of a fan. There were other reasons as well:

Scott Bakula in the captain's role (couldn't get Quantum Leap outta my head).

UPN9 moved the show all over the dial.

Crummy uniforms and opening music (I actually like the song but not for a Star Trek show).

Less than adequate story lines...

Shall I continue..?

c4 B)

(At first: Is there there an Anti-Enterprise/Anti-Scott Bakula wave building up in this forum, or what??? That sucks.)

One reason why the crew barely smiles could be that there isn't much to smile about what they're doing.

Season 1: Tons of new enemies or other species that want to blow up Enterprise

Season 2: Shockwave, Minefield, Cease Fire

Season 3: OK, that's obvious

Season 4: Augments, Klingons, Terra Prime; but in "Home" at least Archer smiled sometimes, if I remember it correctly

Enterprise was meant to be a serious series. Everything is new for everyone. Enterprise was facing many threats. Enterprise had 2 seasons of Exploration and in this seasons most of the species they met were hostile.

The whole series was full of good but serious episodes and I think this is meant to be an important part of the show.

I like Enterprise, its setting, its stories and the less than perfect but evolving society of the 22nd century.

(At first: Is there there an Anti-Enterprise/Anti-Scott Bakula wave building up in this forum, or what??? That sucks.)

I don't really have anything against the acting in enterprise, but then am hardly difficult to please in that department. However, I have been quite unhappy with much of the writing, especially before season 4. The worst would have be do with any episode dealing with the "tempral cold war". And the introduction ... blah .... long live the terran empire is all I can say to the normal intro :D

One reason why the crew barely smiles could be that there isn't much to smile about what they're doing.

Season 1: Tons of new enemies or other species that want to blow up Enterprise

Season 2: Shockwave, Minefield, Cease Fire

Season 3: OK, that's obvious

Season 4: Augments, Klingons, Terra Prime; but in "Home" at least Archer smiled sometimes, if I remember it correctly

Enterprise was meant to be a serious series. Everything is new for everyone. Enterprise was facing many threats. Enterprise had 2 seasons of Exploration and in this seasons most of the species they met were hostile.

Not really that much worse then anything that happened in TNG or DS9. Blame it on the script and poor character designs that nothing fun ever happened on enterprise. Even klingon ships are more fun. The crew dynamics on enterprise just suck all round.

The whole series was full of good but serious episodes and I think this is meant to be an important part of the show.

I like Enterprise, its setting, its stories and the less than perfect but evolving society of the 22nd century.

I give it a so-so. Some episodes are very good, other episodes are so bad I want to cry.

However' date=' I have been quite unhappy with much of the writing, especially before season 4. The worst would have be do with any episode dealing with the "tempral cold war". And the introduction ... blah .... long live the terran empire is all I can say to the normal intro :D [/quote']

Hmm OK, I also don't like most of the Temporal Cold War episodes and yes there were some bad episodes and I also agree that it all went better with season 4, but the previous years had many many great episodes.

Not really that much worse then anything that happened in TNG or DS9. Blame it on the script and poor character designs that nothing fun ever happened on enterprise. Even klingon ships are more fun. The crew dynamics on enterprise just suck all round.

OK, but all the other STAR TREK series had some years time for the crew to become a good team, ENTi only had 4 years, so there was simply not enough time. But I got the impression that after "Home" the Crew was more like a team and they worked pretty well together in season 4. I also liked the friendship between the characters especially Trip-Reed and Trip-Archer. Except in TOS I never got the impression that crew members of a Trek series were close friends. This was well shown in Enterprise.

Guest c4evap
(At first: Is there there an Anti-Enterprise/Anti-Scott Bakula wave building up in this forum' date=' or what??? That sucks.)[/quote']

I just didn't think he (Bakula) was right for the role. I like him as an actor. I was a hugh fan of Quantum Leap. Watched every single ep and was saddened to see it end. I think the producers should have gone with a less well known actor. Like I said...UPN9 moved the show all over the dial and that makes it hard to get a good lock on the show. Plus pre-emptions for ball games and such. I will say I'm starting to explore the show more closely now that I can DL the EPs. Who knows...maybe I'll become a die-hard fan.

EDIT: You know who would have made a good captain (IMHO)? The actor who played the captain in the Mirror Darkly EPs. I thought he did a fine job (while he lasted).

c4 B)

the admiral forrest guy? Eh... he'd probably be too old. Archer wasn't very old, he was a bit younger then Zefram Cochrane, so his son couldn't be as old as the artist formely known as admiral forrest (i don't know his name :( )...

Guest c4evap
the admiral forrest guy? Eh... he'd probably be too old. Archer wasn't very old' date=' he was a bit younger then Zefram Cochrane, so his son couldn't be as old as the artist formely known as admiral forrest (i don't know his name :( )... [/quote']

Huh? I'm talking about Captain Maximilian Forrest (played by Vaughn Armstrong). He was the Captain of the Enterprise in the mirror universe before Archer seized power. I didn't think he was too old.

c4 B)

The crew of the enterprise used to have fun... when they were pursuing their original mission during the first season and somewhat during the second season. For example, when they discover "the biggest comet in earth's history" Archer is practically beaming. The problem is that after season two they're no longer pure explorers. Ya, they get to "explore" the expanse but only because the Xindi are about to destroy earth. Try smiling when your planet is about to be destroyed. In season 4 it appears that they have now become star fleet's troubleshooters. Any problem earth has (augments, the bombing of earth's embassy on vulcan, war between the andorians and tellarites) is now the enterprise's problem.

However, despite their situation Rugger is right they should enjoy themselves a bit more. When voyager was trying to get home about 98% of the species they met in the delta quadrent were trying destroy them in one way or another but that crew kept their spirits up. Perhaps enterprise should do something more fun than "movie night", or maybe they just need a morale officer like neelix (*shudder*).

Enterprise is still awesome tho... I can't wait to see tonights episodes. Too bad I have to steal them (can't get UPN by me).

I think Scot Bakula made an excellent captain. And the Enterprise crew indeed encountered many threats, without a huge Federation to back them up.

About the writing, I disliked the mirror episodes and the one af thoses episodes, but the rest was quite awesome.

Season 3 with the Xindi threat ended in a great climax after many well written episodes.

Why trashtalk the Enterprise?:mad: It was absolutely awesome!!

Did the TNG crew do much exploring? Of the episodes I remember they always seemed to be lurking round Federation territory trying to help the locals in some way, or on diplomatic or covert missions to the Romulous and Klingon empires. There's a few where they're taking to where "no human has ever bothered to g to before" (the opening line for the next series I bet) but most of the time it seemed they were just prancing around Federation space.

Maybe the ENT crew not been able to smile because all other aliens have shield and they have hull plating. They even get photon torpedo after a lot of episodes.

For me, it's miserable when they decided to cancel the show.

• 2 weeks later...