{poll} Why do you like science Fiction?

elderbear

But I have friends that are so deep into the science of sci-fi they miss the pure enjoyment out of it, they will sit painstakingly correcting a sci-fi RPG rulebook to the nearest decimal point in the calculations and stats section for vehicles that don't even exist.

Is there such a thing as too much science in science fiction?

If it damages the story! Science Fiction is LITERATURE! What if Shakespear had filled Henry V with a tactical and strategic analysis of Agincourt? Or Romeo and Juliet with a treatise on ethics and child-rearing?

There are many, many excellent, interesting, and accessible books on pretty much any aspect of science available. Read them. Read Scientific American - if that's too technical, read Omni or Discover.

Heinlein spent time calculating a transfer orbit - but he didn't bore the reader with those calculations, he simply used the calculations to have a realistic transit time.

In literature, it's the human element that's interesting, where the heros and villains tug at our guts, where we find ourselves saying "No! No! Don't do that!" and the characters do it anyhow. Science fiction gives the writer an advantage over other forms of fiction - the ability to create a universe custom built to explore how beings can relate to situations that we've never been able to encounter before.

And that's where the learning takes place, IMHO, when we see other ways of being, of reacting - when we see potential consequences of societal behavior, when we envision how other ways of organizing society might turn out.

Rant mode off - gotta go finish up Enterprise!

As a writer myself I agree with you there elderbear. It's in the creation of the story that I find my greatest pleasure, the characters be they good or evil - even the world setting if it's a brand new frontier, or a dingy backwater planet - sometimes even home.

There are dozens of fantastic books on science and technology, it does not hurt to have a base knowledge in the subject at hand but even Douglas Adams invented the Infinite Improbability Drive and I know if I had to sit through an hour long discussion by some people, on how it would work, then I can only imagine what he had to put up with.

Ok, I didn't have to sit through it, but it was raining outside and in a quite remote location to leave (at a convention).

I think Science fiction is full of more pit holes for the writer compared to say fantasy. I write fantasy a lot, but I always try and steer away from the norm in what I do. Which is why I have a hankering to write a Science fiction book at one point.

So that was a good rant, but Soul told me that you were a passionate guy in that respect. A truly excellent answer.

I think Sci Fi is just entertaining .the rest of the answers are really just a subset as to why it is entertaining .also I would put Rose Tylers(Dr Who companion) chest up against any one elses :P

Mmmmmm... Rose.

And yes, Rose by any other name, would smell as sweet.

Oh, ya. Back to the Poll. SF is better than the lame-ass, canned-laughter sitcom crap that we are feed by the TV blokes, who, for some strange reason, think that we like it. Stupid Ratings systems.

Whoa, I think that I need my meds... :-0

I think Sci Fi is just entertaining .the rest of the answers are really just a subset as to why it is entertaining .also I would put Rose Tylers(Dr Who companion) chest up against any one elses :P

Mmmmmm... Rose.

And yes, Rose by any other name, would smell as sweet.

Oh, ya. Back to the Poll. SF is better than the lame-ass, canned-laughter sitcom crap that we are feed by the TV blokes, who, for some strange reason, think that we like it. Stupid Ratings systems.

Whoa, I think that I need my meds... :-0

I have some Prozium for that Rose addiction.

Just kidding, on the subject of Rose...yes...she is a comley Dr. Who companion indeed *G*

I agree with the canned laughter crap too, I get so sick of it, probably why I hardly watch TV any more.

I like Star Trek (not Sci-Fi in general, though) because of interesting and complicated story lines. So much of TV nowadays is just plain $hit. Star Trek offers entertainment beyond the shallow drivel of Britney and Kevin or American Idol, with meaningful stories that act as a metaphor for the issues of our own society.

On the other hand, I enjoy Sci-Fi comedy like Hitchhiker's Guide or Red Dwarf because it makes fun of the Sci-Fi genre while at the same time making fun of the innate qualities of human kind. Which is a more realistic version of the future, Red Dwarf, or Star Trek? The answer is obviously Red Dwarf. If the citizens of Earth ever really do come together in unity, it won't be to go exploring, it'll be because we've stripped our planet's resources and need to find them on other planets. Perhaps you may think I'm a bit of a pessimist, but I'm just being realistic.

So enjoy your future, I'll still be around in 2063 to see "first contact", and only in my late 70s.

Why, I consider most of the answers correct... Difficult to choose!!!

Sci-fi is really entertaining to me, and you can learn many things watching Sci-fi, and it gives you new ideas, shows the reasons for the possible future (if it's not good) or ways of acheiving it (if it's good), challenge your morale (especially Star Trek)... So, when you think about it... It is entertaining, educational, stimulating you resourcefulness, your ethics... What more could one possibly want? :D ;)

Well, it feels that way at least for me! :)

If the citizens of Earth ever really do come together in unity' date=' it won't be to go exploring, it'll be because we've stripped our planet's resources and need to find them on other planets. Perhaps you may think I'm a bit of a pessimist, but I'm just being realistic.[/quote']

MrLapage, I think you miss the point a bit... Don't you agree that the unity of the humans on Earth is already a miracle, and it is a HUGE one??? Even though the reason is so, how can I say, selfish? It is a step ahead after all! And it will bring other steps ahead after! That is not pessimistic, YOU ARE AN OPTIMIST allright!!! In a way it is the same like you and I talking with each other in this forum... You probably are hundreds of miles away from me... and yet we are both here and... talk!

Nobody here says what is on Star Trek will happen, nobody says it will be THAT way... But don't you want that furute instead of humanity dies in the ruins of the Earth? If even half of the people ever watched Star Trek, or Babylon 5, or any other Sci-fi show had liked it, they may live their lives trying to do something to achieve (or prevent) such a future... And THAT IS WHAT MATTERS.

That's the point - to TRY TO MAKE IT DIFFERENCE, as once Picard and Kirk have said. ;)

Jeez, I'm glad somebody finally replied to my post!

I would agree with you, the idea of Earthling citizens ever coming together in unity at all is a rather big step... I guess I just get sick of all the preachy BS Star Trek pictures the future as--and so I appreciate a more realistic prediction in series' like Red Dwarf. Granted, Star Trek is fiction, and fiction created originally with the intention of giving the public a window into a future that hasn't been self-annihilated. The 60s/70s were scary times if you really knew what was going on, and in my opinion, TOS was a major factor in relieving domestic tension. Star Trek made a difference...and had some pretty smegging awesome stories at the same time.

If you ask me, the worldwide community of THE INTERNET is going to be what saves us from ourselves. How can we blow somebody up whom we've just conversed on a Star Trek message board with? Granted, the bourgiose don't give a damn what us proles think.

I've grown up only a couple dozen miles away from Kirk's hometown, in case you wanted to know.

Wow, this has gotten off topic. Good thing nobody here cares! :)

as a child I had no friends, was constantly beat up, and teased, and my only escape was science fiction, wether it was books, or tv, or movies, for me it is a way out, a way to leave it all behind.........................