Dr Who fans.Why do you watch the new Dr Who series?

coolcat13

well I chose more than 1 reason those bieng choices 1,3,and 4

since i was a classic Dr Who fan I was inevitably going to watch this series as soon as I heard it was coming on

the week to week eps are certainly great and would keep me watching by themselves but as you know the absolute enigma of the Bad Wolf / time war theme has given me the insatiable desire to see the season through

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere years ago, that if Stephen King published his shopping list, then (some) people would buy it. I think for me its little like that with Dr Who, its got a rich history mixed with great and terrible stories as well as great and terrible effects (hehe). I was sceptical at first this season but after Rose I was suitably impressed and theres been very little to dampen my enthusiasm for the rest of the year ad infinitum, not even Eccleston quitting, which Ive come to terms with now, I no longer hate CE as a Dr anymore but just looking forward to his demise and onto Tennant to see if he can impress us equally. To be honest RTD wouldnt have cast him and he certainly wont air any shows if Tennant proves to be cack, hes not like that, one of Whos better directors, even though he can be a littel campy and have silly long alien names :)

Long live the Doctor!

1,3,4 for sure.

The whole Bad Wolf theme/idea has me buzzing with just the thought of it. It's a masterful stroke of genius to be honest and yeah the wolf theme is a draw for me heh.

I am a classic Who fan though and I still get shivers from the new music, the TARDIS interior and the hum of the sonic screwdriver. I so want that DVD Cabinet case but it's astronomical in price.

I fell in love with the series when I first saw the last five minutes of the second part of Androids of Tara. So I had to see if this series would capture me in the same way . It did.

Also it is now a new family tradition. My husband and I would watch it with our families on the weekends when we were growning up. (When Wisconsin Public Telelvision would show the whole shows on Sundays). Now that it is passed on to our kids sitting with us.

I am also still trying to make up my mind about the new format. I was so used to seeing the episodes in there entirity that the new format is hard for me to get used to. But that is a minor issue.

I so want that DVD Cabinet case but it's astronomical in price.

Ummmm. . . .

What DVD Cabinet? Do you have a link to a site from which it can be purchased? A pic? A price? Anything?

Don't leave me hanging my haeart can't handle the suspense.

Mainly I watch it because I was fond of it as a child. But the high production values and serious attempt to modernize the series have kept me watching.

I do wish RTD would keep his sense of humor a bit more in reign in the future, though. The standout scripts of this season have been everyone BUT RTD as far as I'm concerned. THE LONG GAME was a nice step for him, and I hope he continues more along that sort of storytelling as opposed to burping trashcans.

Some of my earliest memories are of early Saturday evenings glued to the box....and then trying to apply enough solvent so that I could get into the sitting room and watch the Doctor. I'm nearly 35 and can barely remember Jon Pertwee as the lead actor, so nearly everything Who oriented was Tom Baker.

Despite the wobbly sets, the squeaky clean good guys and hysterics from the female assistant, I was enthralled by events that went on week after week. I was more than dumbstruck when I found out Tom Baker was leaving and, what was more, the BBC were going to drop him off a radio telescope.

After that, Dr Who for me was more than a little patchy. I could see that Peter Davison was trying his damnedest, but the era of greatness had passed with little hope of it's restoration. To my mind, the only reprieves from the mediocrity were "The Five Doctors" and "Earthshock".

Colin Baker.....Sylvester McCoy.....(vomits noisily into waste disposal unit).

I'm so glad to see that a significant degree of quality has been reintroduced into the series. After a hiatus of over 15 years, I for one was more than champing at the bit to see what the BBC had to offer. I have yet to be disappointed. The choice of actor as the Doctor, the story thread, the practical "realism" of the show makes it stand head and shoulder above most anything else on the television these days (and I'm hard pressed to even think of anything superior....come to think of it, I can't!) It's a shame CE is leaving after only one season but, in the vortex, surely anything can happen?

"Broken watches stop Time Wars"

B)

Nice to see another old Who fan :)

Anything can and will happen in the vortex, which is why it's so fun. As for McCoy, he really only got good material later on in his career as the Dr.

I wasn't too fond of Colin Baker's Dr. myself, but we all have our loves and hates.

Dito for all of the other posts. The new blood that the BBC breathed in to it is, on the whole, well received.

However, I have a bit of a strange reason for watching. More of a side benefit to the show, I guess. I really enjoy seeing London's scenery. I've always wanted to go there and visit and now, more than ever.

Also, both of my young sons now speak with British accents and play Doctor Who in the backyard instead of watching tv all day.

(I also got them lightsabers today. You know what they say,

"Spare the lightsaber, spoil the child".)

1, 5 and other: actually well-written and entertaining to the adult me.

I can't stand post-Davidson Who, and I have a very, very hard time sitting through anythign with Davidson in it, although he gives great interview in the Confidentials!

The new show has impressed me with every aspect of its production. I'll be watching. Plus, I very much like Ecceleston in the role. Sorry I'll be to see him go, but Tennant will probably be fine. Maybe this will end up being my favourite season of Who ever!

Yeah i kinda went off Who after davidson didnt think sly was suitable for the part, eccelston seems to have his own style which actually fits in well with WHO. Shame he aint staying as I think he is doing a brill job.

Despite the wobbly sets, the squeaky clean good guys and hysterics from the female assistant, I was enthralled by events that went on week after week. I was more than dumbstruck when I found out Tom Baker was leaving and, what was more, the BBC were going to drop him off a radio telescope.

After that, Dr Who for me was more than a little patchy. I could see that Peter Davison was trying his damnedest, but the era of greatness had passed with little hope of it's restoration. To my mind, the only reprieves from the mediocrity were "The Five Doctors" and "Earthshock".

Colin Baker.....Sylvester McCoy.....(vomits noisily into waste disposal unit).

B)

One of the reasons I liked Dr Who was because of his assistants. Tom Baker had 4 or 5 and each one had her own unique and likable personality. Not a sexpot in the bunch. Just real live women who had their own personalities.

I think Peter Davison hated the role. There was too much pressure for him. Following Tom Baker, anyone was going to fail. I swear I could see Peter Davison breaking down as each new episode appeared. I stopped watching after 2 or 3 shows because it was so painful to watch him.

Sylvester McCoy and Colin Baker are a perfect example of what ails the world these days. People only see the external. They have lost the ability to see the internal in people.

The BBC thought if they got any buffoonish or clownish person and put them in crazy clothes, that would be Tom Baker.

Tom Baker is one of the more unique personalities I have encountered in my entire life. I think it is because he was old. His biography said he grew up during WWII. That and I think his religious training gave him an indefinable something that one rarely encounters anywhere, much less on TV.

Tom Baker was smart. He was intellectual, he was sarcastic, he was my hero. He could put bad guys in their place by simply pointing out how stupid they were and talking circles around them. The only chance bad guys had against Tom Baker's intellect was if they were so evil that they acted first without listening.

Any bad guy who stopped to listen to Tom Baker was history. He would talk them into a pretzel. You could see their poor brains doing circles and loop de loops trying to keep up with him.

I loved that man. A role model. One of the few sarcastic intellectuals on TV for us hyper intelligent types. ;) The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is William Buckley and he is a news guy, not an actor. Really boring stuff. And he was kinda mean. Dr Who was always lighthearted in his putdowns. No maliciousness

Easily the first, though if I could add another reason, because I'm generally a fan of British Sci-fi, particularly when it has strokes of comedy. I *tried* the new series 'cause of the name. I continue watching it, though, because it's easily one of the best shows I've seen. Brilliant. Same good writing, but a WAY better budget.

I chose more than 1 reason too. I'm a Classic Who fan (still tune into MPT Saturday nights to see the repeats even though I have all on VHS, many digitized and turned into DVDs just for the broadcast experience), but I'm a selective fan of the series. I pretty much enjoyed all the televised Who (some less than others), collected some of the audios and a few books (most I left aside because they bored me).

I was waiting for the rumored US release, and feared the series would be like that 1996 movie, so I didn't bother until mid-April. Then a friend gave me a link, I discovered Azureus, tried new Who and quickly feel head over heels. The series is better than I could ever hope to imagine. Fun, witty, silly, serious, creepy, and adventurous. It makes you want to take a trip of a lifetime.

Now I'm busy watching and recruiting more and more fans to the show. I've given away my Disc One (eps 1-3) DVD about half a dozen times so far to new fans (actually households of 5 members and up). You let folks watch one or two eps and they beat your door down for more. It's amazing how well this series is appealing to non-fans. And a crying shame US execs can't figure that out.

Oh well. Now I await my Region 2 DVDs to arrive.

I've liked Doctor Who since the Tom Baker days (first one shown out here in sunny So Cal), and actually the Davidson years were my favorite! I thought they were better then the T. Baker's! But I started to lose interest with C. Baker. I just really didn't like his characterization, and the PBS station stopped showing it before half the first season of McCoy was shown. But I had to see this new version, and I think it's "Fantasitc" ;) Eggleston had me hooked from the first scenes, and even my husband, and avid Doctor Who-hater loves this new show!