Dr. Who saves family drama

petra1989

I'm beyond despairing about Hollywood's decisions ever since they referred to the MidWest as "fly over country". ::shakes head::

The fun part now is showing the eps to the American public that supposedly wouldn't watch the series on US TV and having to supply them with regular episodes lest they go in withdraw. I've created more new fans this way than I ever could the traditional way.

As for me, I'm investing in a region-free DVD player and the BBC imports for my official copies.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fun part now is showing the eps to the American public that supposedly wouldn't watch the series on US TV and having to supply them with regular episodes lest they go in withdraw. I've created more new fans this way than I ever could the traditional way.

As for me, I'm investing in a region-free DVD player and the BBC imports for my official copies.

Same here. I want the DVD's for christmas.

I will admit I got suckered in to watching American Idols finale. I will never watch that show again. Too much talking and not enough performing. Of course if that is an example of what type of British shows they want to force on the United states. I am so sad.

Thank god we live in an age where there is a way to get them. Altough not legal. Which could start me on the whole; if I want the item in question make it so I can buy, watch, etc. it. Instead of assuming I won't be interested. (I make the same arguement with music. Half of my collection is not availble in the United states, even though they sing in english and sound 10x better than whats on the radio.)

lol i dont think you guys over the great pond will have to long to wait as the BBC will want to make money off Dr Who's new series so I wouldnt be suprised if they already have'nt already been talking about a station buying the rights to it.

Some of us across the great pond already get it ^^ (i.e. Canada), and I won't miss a single episode on TV, even if I grab the episodes off the net, too.

... and when I can buy them on DVD, I'll be buying 'em. This IS Doctor Who we're talking about ^^

lol i dont think you guys over the great pond will have to long to wait as the BBC will want to make money off Dr Who's new series so I wouldnt be suprised if they already have'nt already been talking about a station buying the rights to it.

Been living in a cave, have ye? ;)

BBC tried hawking it to US TV. SciFi Channel passed on it saying it was "lacking". HBO strung them along so they could get rights to another comedy series. NBC said great concept can we nick the rights and make our own version. US TV execs are beyond pathetic.

Crying shame here is the PBS stations would love it except they can't afford it and BBC ain't offering. I get MPT, one of the few remaining PBS stations that still air Classic Who (watching The Krotons now). BBC decided not to renew their contract. So come August, I won't even be able to see Classic Who regularly.

Thank goodness for private libraries and friends with broadband.

Oh yeah, and region free DVD players that convert PAL to NTSC. I've got the BBC Official Disc One en route across that pond.

BBC tried hawking it to US TV. SciFi Channel passed on it saying it was "lacking". HBO strung them along so they could get rights to another comedy series. NBC said great concept can we nick the rights and make our own version. US TV execs are beyond pathetic.

You know, on reading that my general level of surprisedness didn't only not increase, but it dropped by half...

Been living in a cave, have ye? ;)

Crying shame here is the PBS stations would love it except they can't afford it and BBC ain't offering. I get MPT, one of the few remaining PBS stations that still air Classic Who (watching The Krotons now). BBC decided not to renew their contract. So come August, I won't even be able to see Classic Who regularly.

Thank goodness for private libraries and friends with broadband.

Oh yeah, and region free DVD players that convert PAL to NTSC. I've got the BBC Official Disc One en route across that pond.

Lmao naww we brits dont live in caves now, upgraded to a straw hut lmao...naww seriously we dont actually follow whats going on over in america reference your tv companies.

Typical aint it, trying to buy the rights and making a american version, glad the BBC said nutz to it. and the rest there also nutz passing on it.

Typical aint it, trying to buy the rights and making a american version, glad the BBC said nutz to it. and the rest there also nutz passing on it.

They tried it with Red Drawf, made a pilot, and realized that it was not a good show. I have not seen it, but my friends who have said they would have rather watched paint dry and get a root canal.

BTW don't be surprised if NBC suddenly has a new sci fi show that has a time traveler. Any Network here will gladly steal a good idea and destroy it.

I'm surprised that they haven't yet made a TV show based on H.G. Wells: The Time Machine. I think the closest program to modern time-travel would be Quantum Leap and that wasn't really time-travel in the context we're using it.

BTW don't be surprised if NBC suddenly has a new sci fi show that has a time traveler. Any Network here will gladly steal a good idea and destroy it.

*whew!* That'd be another reason I'm glad not to have a TV. Well, unless they actually managed to pull off a half-decent show. (Didn't mention 'fully decent', since I doubt NBC (or any other US network television producer) is capable of 'fully decent' shows)

...naww seriously we dont actually follow whats going on over in america reference your tv companies.

Hey, most Americans don't follow their own TV industry. The market is so splintered these days, most are tuning out and plugging in DVDs instead. Lots of reasons for that (poor quality, inability to replay, lack of on demand scheduling). Why do you think the industry is so hot to shutdown digital traders? They're stuck in a typical "bombs are falling let's dig really big shelters and force everyone in" mentality.

On another note, I posted a little thread on OG about my experiences showing Who to non-fans in US (the ones the industry here says wouldn't like it). Been getting my dad into it and this weekend we had a family viewing party of Empty Child (4 kids, 2 adults and a grandfather). The kids gave me my first "hide behind the sofa" moment but it was "hide behind the throw pillow". Oh the fun you Brits get to have!!!

Nothing has done that to my family since maybe watching a Disney movie DVD.

Spread the word of Who' date=' RebelRevana, that's the way![/quote']

We aim to please. :D

It's actually getting hysterical around here. My dad is now raving about the series trying to woo the known Who haters. God, this series is addictive, isn't it?

It's a very clever regeneration of Doctor Who, that's for certain, appealing to a lot of new fans as well as diehards like me. I also love the way they have seamlessly integrated the internet into the whole show as well.

Remote Edit: Geocomtex allows the use of the word internet, under applicable copyright laws.

I have to admit Im delighted that this new Dr Who is getting some major thumbs up with our cousins across the great pond. At first I thought that because normally the BBC dont have the same power in finacing huge projects it might not appeal to the Canadian and American TV viewers.

But its great you guys watch it for there stories which is probably the BBC's better strong points in drama. Also i was suprised when i first started watching the new series is the vast improvement in the BBC's special effects which has come along in leaps and bounds since the early 90's.

They tried it with Red Drawf, made a pilot, and realized that it was not a good show. I have not seen it, but my friends who have said they would have rather watched paint dry and get a root canal.

hehe i say let em try and copy a time series, they have a tough act to follow if you ask me and not to mention Dr Whos 30 odd years history.

Oh by the way does Nite watch Dr Who? seeing as its his site be intresting to hear what he thinks about the new series.