Comedy in Sci-Fi

Dprogo

"I Liked It" - Arthur Dent

I feel I might get stoned out of existence here for saying this, but I did rather enjoy The Hitchhiker's Guide Movie. I read most of the previous posts, and yes, most your points are valid. It lost a bit of Britishness (didn't like at all the Pub scene with Mos Def). It WAS different. But you know what? For what it was, I rather liked it. And since when, might I ask, are any two mediums of Hitchhiker's Guide the Same?

How many of you can honestly say you've read the Books, listened to the Radio Series, watched the BBC Mini-series, played the adventure game, had a go with the HHG Towel, and even seen the Universe on thirty Altarian Dollars a day and been thoroughly amazed at how 'faithful' all these renditions were to each other? By far the TV series and Radio are the closest, but even that's a stretch.

I quite liked the film for exactly what it was. A big-budget representation of the Hitchhiker's guide. I felt that the Guide animations were brilliant and attractive, that the new material was very Douglas-like, and that the actors really portrayed their characters rather well (barring noted exceptions above with the Ford Bar scene).

I think it's really difficlt to judge a 2-hour movie based on the HHG corpus of 5 1/2 books, 26 radio 'fits', the 3-hour tv mini-series and more because in terms of content, it's very hard for things to get established.

I was thrilled they made the film, beause in my opinion, the American market is devoid of any Sci-Fi comedy.

-Farscape came close to being comedy, but it was trying to achieve other things.

-Men in Black was alright.

-George Lucas' hand at comedy is, well, terrible (Honestly, "I'm beside myself?") stick to what you're good at, George, 'cause Star Wars is great.

-Galaxy Quest was fab, but somewhat hindered by being a spoof.

But to introduce this into the mainstream American market means that more might be on its way. Personally, I really hope they make a sequel, because I think that only then will the writers (writer? Douglas being dead now) and actors feel comfortable in their own version of the HHG Universe, and it will allow us to see what potential this version has.

So, to finish, I'd say, yes, I was disappointed by a few of the choices they made in making the movie, but overall, I applaud their efforts and creativity. The Heart of Gold sequences (especially the way it warped about) were fabulous. Their tributes (Douglas' Head randomly popping up, Marvin, and Simon Jones' cameo were all great.) And Marvin, though not Stephen Moore, was done just fine by Alan Rickman (one of the best parts of Galaxy Quest, in my opinion).

I feel that one of the greatest things about Hitchhikers is that Douglas never felt tied to keep things the same. Or even constant. And I feel that the movie was good for the same reasons I liked the Harry Potter films. Not because they were faithful, dead-accurate representations of the book, but because they allowed me to better see myself in that world, and to imagine how cool a sequel is going to be.

Please, feel free to comment. I would generally like to know what you all feel about Comedy in Sci-Fi. 'Cause I'm nuts for it (I'm just waiting for the impending Doctor Who announcement, what with them 'waiting to see how the new series fares in the States' and all)

I think comedy in any genre is very hard to do. Trying to get the right feel that's not OTT in science fiction for instance is a vast undertaking, Red Dwarf succeeded admirably in that respect and Douglas Adams was a master of it.

I think a certain tongue-in-cheek sense is required, a certain mindset and certainly a personality that's willing to roll with the punches if something goes wrong.

Not everyone likes the same brand of humour, just read some of the Dr. Who fans comments re: Aliens of London with the fart jokes.

RTD has got to watch that kind of humour, he's well known for it. Though the line that appealed to me most was:

Would you mind not farting, while I am trying to save the world? (Or something similar)

I read a review which stated something to the effect of "why do all good sci fi comedies have Alan Rickman and Sam Rockwell in them?"

Of course he or she was talking about Galaxy Quest there. But so many people cannot comprehend that sci fi can be a comedy. I think that turned a lot of people of Hitchhiker's. all I can say is that the day I saw it the audience was laughing and at theend when Marvin saved the day. there was cheering, so it was not that bad.

For me the movie just does not match the TV show, a lot of the HHGTTG in-jokes were lost in the film. The comedy timing, which has to be spot on with science fiction was off in a few places - I still enjoyed it, but the TV series is king for me :)

Oh, the Hitchhiker's Guide movie... It was good, I guess, and vaguely Hitchhiker shaped... but it wasn't the same story. It may have -looked- a lot like the Hitchhiker's Guide, but they made too many story changes...

Yup, now I've just got to track down the BBC series again... now THAT was quite faithful to the book ^^

Erm. It isn't meant to be a comedy, just tongue in cheek amusing. I doubt DA ever thought it would reach the popularity it obtained.

The film is okay if you haven't read the books, watched the original series or listened to the radio plays (I did), but it has too many in-jokes for the layman.

And like it or not, that's exactly like what some brit pubs are like.

I like comedy mixed in with my sci-fi if it's done well. I do prefer the HHGTTG books and TV series to the new movie. Red Dwarf is also great!

And most Sci-fi dramas do have occasional comedic moments. Again, if it's done well, I like it!

I like serious AND comedic sci-fi ^^

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed by the new movie, though... but it was closer to the book at points than the TV series(as one example, they DID leave Magrathea before going to the Restaurant in the book, as opposed to just poofing there after nearly dying)

They stuck Vogons where they were never meant to be stuck, in my opinion, and truncated too many jokes that could have been told given a few extra moments...

... but this isn't a 'rate the movie' topic, so I'll stop there ^^

I loved Red Dwarf (what I've seen of it), and hope more comedic sci-fi pops up in time ^^

I loved Red Dwarf (what I've seen of it), and hope more comedic sci-fi pops up in time ^^

Same here. Try to explain it some people and they will not get it. It's one of those shows you have to make people watch.

It's funny when my husband calls someone a smeghead. If they hear him they either ignore him or grin. If they grin, then usually we start up a conversation. great way to met fellow fans.

I think most sci fi needs some comedic aspect to it, we all remember Generations: Data ".........Oh....Shit........ I mean when in StarTrek had we ever heard the word shit used, and to here it from data of all people, I think comedy is essential in sci fi............