stem cell research

frodoxxx

do you think that stem cell research is the best way to find a cure for diseases like m.s. or m.d.

I dont know if it is THE BEST way to find cures but its definitely a very good avenue to follow.

In my opinion The Best way is to flood Gene Therapy research with billions of dollars. Most (99%) of the diseases are based on our genetics and if we can 'fix' our genes, we can cure just about any disease. Therefore most cancers, most autoimmune disorders (like MS) would be easily cured with gene thearapy..

Of course I am a little biased because I did research in gene therapy but I did see the potential like few people on the outside word can see.

do you think that stem cell research is the best way to find a cure for diseases like m.s. or m.d.

Stem cell research shows promise for most diseases and/or injuries that involve tissue being destroyed - also includes diabetes and spinal cord injuries, possibly even Alzheimers.

This opens a very big ethical can of worms when the source of stem cells is fetal tissue.

I've got an uncle who who was struck young with Parkinson's Disease. Stem cell research offers hope, but it's probably going to come too late to do him any good.

When it comes to weighing the good of the already living vs. what might be a potential life ... I've have severe qualms, but I know I'd choose for my uncle any day of the week.

(As an interesting side note, nobody in his family has ever had Parkinson's as far back as we can trace. But everybody in his family and his wife's family who lived in Oroville, CA during the '70s has been smitten with one freakish disorder or another - fibromyalgia being the most common. Oroville has a number of EPA superfund sites - mostly contaminants from wood processing. Makes me wonder ...)

I'd kill an entire nursery of newborns with my bare hands' date=' if it ment that MS, Cancer, and all the other things that Stem Cell Research could cure would be cured.[/quote']

well well, you have been seduced by the dark side of the force!

i'm for stem cell research. and no you don't have to kill newborns.

stem cell research would help us in the long run with cures for diseases and ailments from the hard to cure to the common cold. once we delve into our own genes who knows what else can be accomplished. longer lifespans and yes even genetically advanced humans. not necessarily like star trek but more like the movie Gattaca.

Ah' date=' everyone already knew THAT, daffy :)[/quote']

well :) instead of going to the dark side, what you really need to do is get rid of the Sith Lord. ;) The guy spent nearly 400 billion dollars(or maybe even more, I have lost count) on this war. If only 200 billion of that money had been spent on research, your MS, cancer and many other diseases would be much closer to being cured.

When it comes to research, much of it is dependent on research money. The more money there is, the more people they will employ to do research.

I remember there were some great research proposals that were submited from our lab to the American Heart association for grants got denied due to funding. And these grants werent even that big, only 200k. But because of the competition and availability of funds, the grants were rejected. That grant would not only have created research and journal articles but also jobs for technicians, laboratory assitants, and of course some of the money spread over 100s of biotech companies that provide supplies and reagents.

So instead of increasing the NIH funding by a mere 1 or 2 billion dollars, they are always asking for 70 billion, 80 billion, whatever they desire from congress and it gets funded like its nothing.

One thing to take into consideration is that they use aborted fetuses. Not that the person/persons aborting the fetus going to care what happens to the fetus after the abortions done. At least some good should come out of a soon to be mother or father deciding not to be one.

And if someone sees they can be cured from cancer (or another ailment), but won't take the treatment because it resulted from stem cell research, but uses insulin for diabetes. Insulin that came about by the testing of animals. that seems to me a bit of a hypocrite.

All they need to do is figure out how to force human cells to spontaneously undifferentiate without going cancerous (i.e. become stem cells), and we're set! Newts do THAT all the time, but the problem is figuring out how they do it...

Stem cell research has to go through it's own "playing God" phase of medicine. Almost all new research has been thought of that way, this is just the latest. After a while, everyone will get used to hearing about stem cell research, cloning, and genetic engineering and eventually they will all calm down about it. Once that happens, then the money can start flowing in which of course is the real limitation here.

Guest c4evap
Stem cell research has to go through it's own "playing God" phase of medicine. Almost all new research has been thought of that way' date=' this is just the latest. After a while, everyone will get used to hearing about stem cell research, cloning, and genetic engineering and eventually they will all calm down about it. Once that happens, then the money can start flowing in which of course is the real limitation here.[/quote']

Whoa...check out the big brain on Ipkis. Seriously though, check out this cloning website.

Weird stuff...

c4 ;)

its a tough one.

the boundaries seem to change annually on issues like these. there is no limit it seems to the lengths that science is prepared to go to and no laws which can successfully linit the progress.

i hate saying that this or that should be thought about when there is a reality to deal with but there must be a limit. the way things look at the moment it is simply a matter of time.

stem cell research and cloning could have a powerful effect on society and are too open to abuse.

shame about human nature ay

Whoa...check out the big brain on Ipkis. Seriously though, check out this cloning website.

Weird stuff...

c4 ;)

BLEAH! I've heard about that cult -_-'... that's all they are, by the way... a cult wrapped around pseudoscience and alien-god theology. They claimed to have successfully cloned humans, yet didn't supply any proof that they weren't bulling everyone...

Have you heard about Raelian communes? Bleah... -_-'

Edit: If you didn't know, their claim of successful human cloning is a hoax.

Yeah, cloning Picard didn't turn out to well... :)

When it comes to curing m.s. with stem cells - I don't know... a theory is that an endo virus (very old retrovirus (which is one that incorporates itself into the host genome)that has been part of our genome for mio. of years) becomming activated for some unknown reason in the glial cells of the neuronal tissus. When glial cells have a particular endo virus activated the relase a toxin that kills off the neurons - m.s.

I guess if you could coax the stem cells into forming new neurons you could prolong an m.s. patients active life...perhaps...but finding a cure from stem cells I dunno. After all, the genome is the same in those cells as in the rest of your body.

Guest c4evap

Weird stuff...

c4 ;)

BLEAH! I've heard about that cult -_-'... that's all they are, by the way... a cult wrapped around pseudoscience and alien-god theology. They claimed to have successfully cloned humans, yet didn't supply any proof that they weren't bulling everyone...

Have you heard about Raelian communes? Bleah... -_-'

Yeah, I knew that. Petty much goes without saying...doncha think?

c4 :p

hey,

if ya's didn't hear about this already:

Scientists can now take a stem cell from your nose!!

They take an orfactory cell from your nose,

this is actually an adult stem cell,

they culture it in a lab (replicate it thousands of times),

and then stick the stem cell back in your nose.

How cool.

Now we can grow organs for ourselves, with our own cells :)

South Korea, the leading country in gene therapy research, has the majority of its citizens pro-gene therapy research. Smart people, they are. Also, the leading researcher in cloning is utterly convinced we wont be able to produce a clone for the next century. Its just too hard.

Look it up here:

[http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20050606/cloning.html]

=Han=

• 2 weeks later...