Sapphire & Steel

One of the main rivals to Dr. Who at the time was a small show known as Sapphire and Steel, now I don't know if anyone here remembers it muchly apart from say Mad Martha and a couple of others, but the storytelling was dark and twisted, the plots were usually quite compelling and it featured two very good actors.

David McAllum and Joanna Lumley.

The whole thing hinged on the idea that there were all sorts of paranormal problems out there in the world and a special set of elements took human form to battle evil, ghosts and other such entities...two of those were Sapphire and Steel.

It was very much in the same vein as the early years of Doctor Who and created quite a stir when it first aired.

Now Mad Martha has kindly put up the first torrent to give us something new to chew on at Nites.

For anyone that wants more detail or is just interested in another look at Brit Sci-fi that's not Dr. Who or Blakes 7 -- here's the link: Sapphire and Steel

yeah i remember this series ....bloody ell i aint seen Sapphire & Steel in donkey years. all i can remember is that they where some sort of agents named after minerals and metals lol...wouldnt mind seeing them again...if my memory serves me right it was quite dark in style

joanna lumley doing sci fi' date=' rofl, i think it would take me a while to stop thinking about absolutely fabulous[/quote']

"lets have some nibbles....and champers my dear old steal" erm naww dont have the same ring to it, actually i think she acts quite seriously in it, will find out laters when i finish the download lol

One of the main rivals to Dr. Who at the time was a small show known as Sapphire and Steel, now I don't know if anyone here remembers it muchly apart from say Mad Martha and a couple of others, but the storytelling was dark and twisted, the plots were usually quite compelling and it featured two very good actors.

David McAllum and Joanna Lumley.

The whole thing hinged on the idea that there were all sorts of paranormal problems out there in the world and a special set of elements took human form to battle evil, ghosts and other such entities...two of those were Sapphire and Steel.

It was very much in the same vein as the early years of Doctor Who and created quite a stir when it first aired.

Now Mad Martha has kindly put up the first torrent to give us something new to chew on at Nites.

For anyone that wants more detail or is just interested in another look at Brit Sci-fi that's not Dr. Who or Blakes 7 -- here's the link: Sapphire and Steel

Yes, I've seen a couple of these on PBS. Glad to see there's a torrent. I'm in! B)

Fantastic, we owe MM another debt of thanks!

S&S had very little in the way of comedy and was very dark, twisted you might say - right up my alley in that case. I remember it clearly, since it left a big impression upon me in my youth and Joanna Lumley is less sinister than David but only just.

Just watched the first episode. It's excellent. Dark, scary, and a good alternative to Doctor Who. The only problem is there's a cliffhanger and no more torrents. :(

Can't wait till the next episode! Thanks for putting this up.

I'v just watched the first two episodes and I LOVE It, I did some research on the show as well, and this is definitly my thing. Love all the complexity and original themes to it, I miss Hard Sci-fi, stuff like this rules ! Big thankyou to Mad Martha!

INTRODUCTION

Sapphire & Steel was a unique blend of science-fiction and thriller to emerge from the studios of ATV (ITV Midlands region) between 1979 and 1982. The series concerned two time detectives (David McCallum and Joanna Lumley) who rectified time disturbances and their bizarre effects. The fact that they often used less-than-decent means to achieve their aims meant that the viewer never entirely trusted them.

The series was intensely claustrophobic and theatrical in its settings, with the atmosphere of menace and unease being conveyed by lighting, sound-effects and moody music. The production team took the restrictions of the show (low budget, small cast, simple special effects, no location filming) and turned them into strengths. Direction was extremely taut with much use being made of cleverly composed visuals. Sapphire & Steel was use of the televisual medium at its best although it never managed to be properly repeated or sold abroad.

After a sporadic four year run the show ended in 1982 due to the high production costs, frequent unavailability of the two lead stars and the reformation of ATV into Central. Little was seen of the series until its home video release in 1992, when highly respectable reviews and sales of the tapes showed that the stories were still just as fresh and imaginative as they were over a decade earlier.