Favorite U.S.S. Enterprise

Looney247

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smaller ships indeed. I like the idea of speed boats. I wonder how long it would take to get to the moon with modern spacecraft technology?

Well with the Space Shuttle traveling at speeds of 28,291KPH, in orbit, and the distance between the center of the earth to the center of the moon being 384,403 km, simple logic would dictate that it would take approx. 13.587465978579760347813792372132 hours. Of course with developing tech and ongoing research that time should be ever decreasing.

Well with the Space Shuttle traveling at speeds of 28,291KPH, in orbit, and the distance between the center of the earth to the center of the moon being 384,403 km, simple logic would dictate that it would take approx. 13.587465978579760347813792372132 hours. Of course with developing tech and ongoing research that time should be ever decreasing.

Approximately eh... right...

Anyway, I'm affraid simple logic won't do, not as simple as you put in anyway, but that's something for another time and another thread. ;D

• 3 weeks later...

The International Space Station is not very far up into orbit (comparatively), and it has no real engines to speak of (only boosters to maintain altitude). It's orbital momentum is somewhere in the 27000 kph area. I would imagine that any object would have to maintain a similar velocity (from a greater distance than the ISS, obviously) to keep a "Standard Orbit".

What is the normal speed for a geostationary orbit? This second question may sound odd as well but does a probe have the same speed in that kind of orbit as a bigger/heavier object?

The speed required to maintain such an orbit is 3.07 km/s.. A quick google search yielded that one..

As for the second question, i don't know why i know, but i do.. and yes it would. The idea behind a geostationary orbit is for a satellite to appear stationary with respect to a fixed point on the rotating Earth, this then has advantages in dealing with communications. Thus, is the reason why we can global communications today.

Geostat.gif

However when you mentioned the weight of the object, i assume you mean due to the gravitational pull from the earth... I don't think this would matter because it becomes all relative. We can say, because the orbit is stationary with respect to earth, that:

F(g) [force Gravitational] = F© [force centripetal].

Equating this we have:

Fg = Fc

Ms x Ag = Ms x Ac

[mass of satellite] x [acceleration due to gravity(9.81ms^2)] = [mass of satellite] x [acceleration due to centripetal forces]

Because the mass of the satellite is on both sides of the equation it is independent of geosynchronous orbit. Meaning the mass of the object doesn't matter.

Unless it's 0. :p

(there's still discussion on which specific particles may have mass and which don't, but somehow I think that's beyond the scope of what you intended :cyclops: )

[me=TetsuoShima]seems to be a smart**s today ^^[/me]

Maybe just a little :P... my brain works on big things, It doesn't seem to work to well when it comes to things such as quantum physics.. As far as my universe is concerned everything has a mass. lol.

Hayden thanks for answering my questions about this matter.

No worries! :P

I am mathematicalled out.

Haha, too funny.

Not at all. I have a history of saying how great this community is. Keeping it alive is a worthy goal for all concerned. Keeping forum activity high is also a good thing because we have something here that I have yet to see on other websites. We have a great community here and if I appear too enthusiastic I apologize.

If I may go back on topic, I wonder if we'll see more adventures of the Enterprise-E if the new movie does well?

Enterprise-E, new movie, ... *does not compute - error*

Wasn't the new movie supposed to be about a pre-60's TOS Enterprise with Kirk & Co as youngsters? I don't think that would have any new productivity reflection on the Picardo's adventures. *giggle*

You'd think I'm drunk, but believe me, I'm not.

:cyclops:

Enterprise-E, new movie, ... *does not compute - error*

Wasn't the new movie supposed to be about a pre-60's TOS Enterprise with Kirk & Co as youngsters? I don't think that would have any new productivity reflection on the Picardo's adventures. *giggle*

You'd think I'm drunk, but believe me, I'm not.

:cyclops:

sounds like you are drunk... what bbbb is saying, is that if the new movie goes well, will we be able to see new adventures of Enterprise E...

What i'm interesed in, is what kind of enterprise will be in the upcoming movie. Something between the nx01 and the 1701?

I have to say the D was surely my favorite, it was the most sleek and modern looking I think,  but the E definitely earned my respect when they rammed the Scimitar in Nemesis.  Takes a pretty tough ship to survive a ship to ship head-on in space, but I think it was too hard an attemp at looking more modern than the D.