Star Trek in comparisson to other Sci-Fi

gjnave

• 1 month later...

It is my opinion that Star Wars and Star Trek are very similar in significance. I've found Star Wars to be more consistent however and therefore more appealing to a wider audience than Star Trek. Star Trek does have and always will have a lot of money and room to make more Trek than Star Wars can make more movies. George Lucas is getting older unfortunately and so are all the other people who made the six Star Wars movies. Unless you plan on making a film with Jake Lloyd as a 15 year old Anakin or Natalie Portman as a 20 year old Padme I don't think Star Wars can be expanded upon on screen.

bbbb said:

It is my opinion that Star Wars and Star Trek are very similar in significance. I've found Star Wars to be more consistent however and therefore more appealing to a wider audience than Star Trek. Star Trek does have and always will have a lot of money and room to make more Trek than Star Wars can make more movies. George Lucas is getting older unfortunately and so are all the other people who made the six Star Wars movies. Unless you plan on making a film with Jake Lloyd as a 15 year old Anakin or Natalie Portman as a 20 year old Padme I don't think Star Wars can be expanded upon on screen

Thats the beautiful thing about Star Wars Though. Its gone much, much farther then the movies. The games, books, short stories, etc take the story so much further. The Star Wars universe has expanded so much farther then luke skywalker, hand solo, anakin or padme. I mean, why not a movie back in the early days of the Old Republic, placed in the KOTOR era?

i like trek loads and star wars too. thats about the only sci fi i really enjoy. i watched farscape for a bit but was left with a feeling that i didnt really know what was goin on.

trek is more accessible. and wars ig £%&ing great

I "own" all four season of farscape, and if you ever get the chance to watch them in order it has one of the best story arc's ever, however as you found out if you jump into the middle you can get lost. I love ST and always will but once I started watching farscape is became a close second in my mind. d/l the first season and give it a shot.

Doctor Who followed closely by Star Trek TOS and Stargate SG-1. Farscape fits in but I'm not so sure where (its hard to just veg watching the show but its still ranking among the best sci-fi). I think the quirkier the show the higher I'm going to rate it. The remaining star trek is purly for vegging purposes and to me ranks significantly below the greats. I give SG-1 mucho kudos because its the first modern series in a long time to garner a significant quirkiness factor that I would compare closely to the original Star Trek (Tioke (sp?????) does what every vulcan after TOS could not do since Spock).

edit: Oh, I would put my % as 45 Star Trek (all series) : 55 StargateSG1-Who-Farscape.

Star Wars, unlike Star Trek, never really fell in popularity with the general public. Star Trek often gets the shaft from the general public. I think the only real times in recent memory that it has gained wide applause was (apart from TOS and TNG) ST:IV and ST:First Contact. Nemesis did quite poorly at the box office. I read on some websites that it has actually gained less money at the box office than ST:V, which is unfair since Nemesis was well done and ST:V was not as good as its predecessors and even its successors.

What's your opinion? For me it's 80/20 :D

I would rank Star Trek a lot higher if crap like Voyager/Enterprise didn't exist. Those two shows knocked Trek off it's pedestal and threw it in a pile of shit.

Anyway best way to answer this question is just to rank my favorite shows:

1 - babylon 5

2 - DS9

3 - stargate atlantis

4 - stargate sg-1

5 - TNG/TOS (tie)

6 - quantum leap

7 - new galactica

8 - seaquest

9 - planet of the apes

10 - voyagers

11 - ENT

12 - battlestar galactica (old)

13 - buck rogers

14 - firefly

15 - earth final conflict

16 - doctor who (old)

17 - earth2

18 - space above and beyond

19 - andromeda

20 - VOY

*critic mode: on

Given the amount of sci-fi I've seen, the x/y thing would have a very small value of x even if I valued them all roughly the same... as some of them were less than stellar, I'd have to say it'd be around 20/80...

I found Star Trek was, in general, a series that mostly rehashed stuff that was introduced by other sci-fi series, books, and movies... and there are VERY big holes in the setting (i.e. the exact nature of the Federation government, hierarchy, legal system, and non-military life, among other things), but then again... TV series can only introduce so many setting details. Books are much better at that... and it IS a mite unfair to compare TV serials to sci-fi novels ^^

Still... in some ways, the Star Trek universe is pretty darned hollow and flat, simultaneously... but it shares that with much TV sci-fi.

Star trek has it's peaks, but it has a lot of pits, too... and it's hard to overlook the sheer number of story elements that are 'borrowed' with minimal changes. Nostalgia and 'Ooh, lookee' factor aside, there's very little new introduced by Star Trek to anyone with any familiarity with the genre... which excludes a large chunk of the viewing audience, I suspect.

It's a good watch, but other than the odd episode, I've never been -really- compelled to watch it over without a lot of time between viewings, and there are a lot of episodes in all of the Star Trek series that I can't even stand to rewatch... and I will never, ever rewatch any of the movies...

*critic mode: off

*whew* I'm glad THAT's done with. ^_^'

All that aside, I recommend watching through all of 'em anyways ^_^