What in the world is the show "Lost" about?

TV Man

Sorry if this is off-topic. I was told the show was sci-fi, but I don't think it is. Read on...

Some friends told me "you have to watch Lost, it's really good sci-fi and you'll like it because you like sci-fi." So I watched a couple of episodes, and could not make sense of what the show is really about.

First, there doesn't seem to be anything Sci-Fi about it. It looks to me like a modern day Gilligan's Island without the comedy, or Lord of the Flies without the kids. Am I missing something cuz I don't see the sci-fi in it.

Second, what is the big deal? Why does everyone seem to like the show? So a bunch of people are stranded on a tropical island. Is that the extent of the show?

Guest c4evap

Synopsis:

From J.J. Abrams, the creator of Alias, and Damon Lindelof (Crossing Jordan) comes an action-packed adventure that will bring out the very best and the very worst in the people who are lost.

Out of the blackness, the first thing Jack (Matthew Fox, Party of Five) senses is pain. Then burning sun. A Bamboo forest. Smoke. Screams. With a rush comes the horrible awareness that the plane he was on tore apart in mid-air and crashed on a Pacific island. From there it's a blur, as his doctor's instinct kicks in: people need his help.

Stripped of everything, the 48 survivors scavenge what they can from the plane for their survival. Some panic. Some pin their hopes on rescue. A few find inner strength they never knew they had  like Kate (Evangeline Lilly), who, with no medical training, suddenly finds herself suturing the doctor's wounds. Hurley (Jorge Garcia)  a man with a warm sense of humor despite the desperate situation  does his best to keep his cool as he helps those around him to survive. Charlie (Dominic Monaghan) is a faded rock star who harbors a painful secret. Sayid (Naveen Andrews) is a Middle Eastern man who must wrestle with the racial profiling directed at him by some of his fellow survivors. Jin (Daniel Dae Kim) and Sun (Yunjin Kim) are a Korean couple whose traditions, values and language are foreign and thus causes much to get lost in the translation. Sawyer (Josh Holloway) has an air of danger surrounding him, and his intense sense of mistrust for everyone around him could prove to be fatal to his fellow castaways. Michael (Harold Perrineau) has just gained custody of his nine-year-old son, Walt (Malcolm David Kelley), after the death of his ex-wife  they are a father and son who don't even know each other. Locke (Terry O'Quinn) is a mysterious man who keeps to himself, and who harbors a deeper connection to the island than any of the others. And self-centered Shannon (Maggie Grace)  who actually gives herself a pedicure amid the chaos  and her estranged controlling brother, Boone (Ian Somerhalder)  constantly bicker and must learn to get along if they are to survive.

The band of friends, family, enemies and strangers must work together against the cruel weather and harsh terrain if they want to stay alive. But the island holds many secrets, including the intense howls of the mysterious creatures stalking the jungle, which fill them all with fear. Fortunately, thanks to the calm leadership of quick-thinking Jack and level-headed Kate, they have hope. But even heroes have secrets, as the survivors will come to learn.

I don't watch it myself. It reminds me of an old show from the early 70s called "The New People". It was 45 minutes long. It followed "The David Steinberg Show" (also 45 minutes long).

c4 B)

I'm a big Lost fan. I wouldn't call it sci-fi. I'd say it's a drama, though it does have some fantasy elements. Mysterious things happen on the island, but the the main part of the story takes place in flashbacks. Each week, the show centers around a different character, memories of their past and how they relate to the situation in that episode. It's a very cool show because you start out not knowing anything about the castaways, and little by little you learn that things are not always as they seem.

I WAS a big LOST fan... this is basically what the show is about.... Keep you guessing for an entire episode about WHAT is going on (and there are some weird things going on)... don't answer ANY of the questions that you have raised the whole season long... and then for the season finale, not only don't give ANY answers, but raise more. I feel used by the producers of this show and am done watching it. Besides that it's great

Lost is a great show! It does keep you guessing, but if you pay close attention, some things you can try to infer.

Lost seems to have a double meaning. Yes they are lost on the island. Each of them seemed lost inside their lives, and themselves. During their time lost, they seem to have regained some of their humanity. Until next season when they will have to eat each other, or something...

Seeth

Guest c4evap

Well, since LOST isn't a sci/fi show... ;)

Has anyone here seen ALIAS? Just watched season one and I'm hooked!

c4 B)

Well, since LOST isn't a sci/fi show... ;)

Has anyone here seen ALIAS? Just watched season one and I'm hooked!

c4 B)

I've never seen Alias, but as for Lost the Sci-Fi Wire has reports on it, and they only follow Sci-Fi programs:

New 'Lost' Regular A Clue To Upcoming Storyline

Author: Wayne Hall

Date: 06-27-2005

Source: SciFi Wire

The following contains possible MINOR spoilers for the second season of "Lost."

The character of Ana-Lucia Cortez, who will be played by Michelle Rodriguez on ABC's "Lost" in its sophomore season, presents a possible hint for a storyline the show is likely to explore, according to Javier Grillo-Marxuach, writer and supervising producer for the show.

In an interview with SciFi Wire, Grillo-Marxuach referred to the character's brief appearance with Jack, played by Matthew Fox, in the season finale. "We know she made mention of sitting in the back of the plane," he said. "So does that mean if she survived, others survived? I guess it could mean that, couldn't it? It's just one of those things where you have to go, 'Uh, ha!'"

http://www.syfyportal.com/article.php?id=1898

So I don't know how it is Sci-Fi, but it looks like it is being put into our fave genre. Kinda weird.

I suppose the answer is that it "may" be sci-fi, but it is simply to early in the storyline to tell - I saw one report that indicated that it might be a 4-5 Season run.

If it turns out that all of the Lost have been abducted by aliens and are in some sort of lab experiment on some other world (the end of Season 1 could feasably lead to such a storyline) then no doubt we would say it was definitely sci-fi, however atm it could go in serveral directions.

I think you just have to approach it like life - don't know what the hell its really supposed to be about but just have to get on with it (and hopefully enjoy the ride).

that might explain the character "who seems to know more about the island than the others", might be an alien observing them all up close. That could be an interesting twist.

but I dont watch the show, and probably wouldnt bother while it is a drama about the characters, yawn.

Didn't when the guy was in the plane before it fell reach somebody on the radio and when he said they were FLight FooBarBin, the guy on the other side said something like "But Flight FooBarBin didn't crash" or something like that?

Didn't when the guy was in the plane before it fell reach somebody on the radio and when he said they were FLight FooBarBin' date=' the guy on the other side said something like "But Flight FooBarBin didn't crash" or something like that?[/quote']

It said that there were "no survivors" from that crash.

My dad is hooked on Lost, and I even watched one episode of it. I just didn;t 'get' it, I guess. However, it WAS more entertaining then Survivor, but less entertaining then getting mugged in a parking lot.

• 2 weeks later...