What do you think is the inspiration behind the Peg Leg Pirate Myth/Legends

BorisP

Probably because amputating a wounded leg was the only way to save a life back then. But I've heard more "Pegleg Pete" legends of desert prospectors than of pirates. With pirates it always seems to be the eyepatch and parot, with a hook running second place.

its the same thing with blues singers. off topic perhaps but its a comparison.

i find, invariably with your average common or garden variety blues artiste that they are always "gettin on a train" or "wakin up in the mornin".

i have to say i find both hard to believe. the gettin on a train thing, ok, maybe, but there are other modes of transport too. successful recording artists usually take the bloody plane.

and whats this about gettin up in the bloody morning?! yeah right.

after a hard night of playing guitar gettin dumped by your chic and drinkin til the early hours i find it very hard to believe they would surface til any time the following afternoon.

ok, ok so perhaps they do all get up in the mornings, hungover and dog tired and maybe with a train to catch lookin, no doubt like shjt cos they havent slept.......and we're back to zombies :stare:

Movies and cartoons create a kind of archetype.

Example, picture in your mind for a moment Frankenstien's monster? The vision in your head probably looks a lot like Boris Karloff's monster. Why? Because the movie archetype presented in the Univeral version has taken hold in our culture.

Pirates are the same way. Blame Disney for the wooden leg pirate.

BorisP... why did you talk about peglegs, when that model pirate has a stump and a walking stick? A 'peglegged' pirate has to have a wooden prosthesis strapped to his stump...

Edit: Anyways, good medicine of any kind was hard to come by in those times, and on ship? Forget it. You got a cut, and it got infected, off went the limb.

People simply refuse to think. They are so caught up in the emotional garbage they cannot perform their shipboard duties.

I said a gay people and masturbating people frequently have a bad eye, bad leg and bad arm.

Would you, as an intelligent officer aboard the USS NiteShadow, make the connection between Happeh Theory which says gay or masturbation will make a person crippled with a bad eye, bad arm and bad leg.....

and a 6 inch tall, extremely clear picture of a pirate with an eye patch, a hook hand and a peg leg?

If you don't make the connection, you just got sent from the away team back to maintenance. Still a prestigious job. One you cannot cause problems at with your inattention and slow thought processes.

This is as obvious as the toy for 3 year olds with a board with 3 holes, square, round, triangle, and 3 pegs, square, round, triangle.

Whee... more anti-homosexual propaganda...

And YOU aren't that observant, are you? That 'peg' isn't attached to his stump, therefore he's not a 'peg leg' pirate. Pure observational deduction. Don't attack me because of your own failures.

Good Lord. I missed some spectacular fun.

What's particularly peculiar about Boris is his politics (anti-Bush reactionism, anti-establishment screed) is opposite to the normal social stance (anti-Semitic, homophobic, anti-onanism.)

I know there are a lot of folk in this forum who have allowed Boris and even encouraged him through polite discourse, to elaborate on his ideas. I know there's been a tendency to treat him as a wayward child or misguided soul who needed help. He doesn't need it. In a way, I hold him in the same light as the guys over on Demonoid who are posting Holocaust denial material and anti-Semitic propaganda films without deletion by the Demonoid admins.

It's wrong, we all know it's wrong, and our attempts to be "StarFleet" and allow open discussion are themselves misguided. There is no compelling argument to allow anti-semitism and homophobic rants in the name of free speech. And there's no reason not to push back when these ideas are proposed.