Do you Smoke?

Detor

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats!

Good job beating the odds! Any tips u can give us?

We have Killer Piggies too! Feed them a little late, and they hunger for my fingers!

Seeth

The best way to do it is to set a date.

(Get your mind set ready)

You really must want to do it!

Then just go cold turkey!

It really is the best way, I have had a go at just cutting down.

You never stick to it.

The only way is COLD TURKEY.

You will be going mad for a smoke for a few days, but then it starts to wear off.

I would say in my case ( I smoked for 20 years ) It took me about 5 days for the really bad craving to die down.

then it just got eaiser from then on.

I just keept saying to myself, its been X amount of days, Dont spoil all that hard work.

Remember if you even just have one to ease the craving then you have lost, as you will only be kidding yourself.

Good luck with your quitting.

It's one of those questions I cannot answer right away, since there is smoking and smoking. I used to smoke cigarettes, but I quit about 5 years ago. About 4 years ago I started smoking the water pipe (aka sheesha, kelyan/kalyan or hukkah) and about 2 years ago I added cigars (the good expensive kind - Romeo y Julieta, Partagas, Punch etc.). I smoke about two sheesha loads a day or one cigar a day. While my doctor does not exactly recommend smoking, he believes that a) it's better than smoking a pack a day and b) as long as it helps me relax (which it does).

I gave up 4.5 years ago, after 20+ years. Was smoking 20-40 a day, just finished smoking a ciggie & thought to myself ' I don't enjoy this anymore' & gave up.

I found it easy, have never felt the urge (although I have had cause, Mother dying from Cancer, Wife leaving me & My business folding, leaving me bankrupt for £130,000).

If you set a date - you can talk yourself out of it, you really have to want to do it.

When you want it - you will just do it, no cutting down, no patches, no New Year resolution, just a smoke free zone!

When you do it, after a while you will find you can taste things you didn't before(yummy!), you can smell on other people what you used to smell like (Barf!).

But remember - you are VERY likley to put weight on, watch out! (it took me 3 years to lose what I put on).

All you have to do is.... Want it, Mean it & you will do it.

If you are planning to give up - I wish you luck, you won't look back.

;)

^ Well ok - i would also like to know when other people started smoking

I was 11 years old.

c4 :stare:

More fool you! chances are back then your lungs were not fully formed for you to them abuse them! Your lung capacity must be beyond #### right now...You find it hard to go up and down stairs quickly, dont you? how about walking a mile or so? or running 100 yards??

SMOKERS ARE THE SCUM OF THE EARTH AND ARE ALL THAT IS BAD IN THE WORLD

THEY SHOULD BE ANNHILATED

And you, trying to make it all a big joke, trying to make it sound cool...You sure wont think that in some years to come when you're diagnosed with cancer or something worse....i pitty you. I would make that a WHOLE lot worse, but I may be warned off this amazing site...

well i think it's unfair to say that - everyone can have there own oppinion and it is the point of this topic

I was 11 years old.

More fool you! chances are back then your lungs were not fully formed for you to them abuse them! Your lung capacity must be beyond #### right now...You find it hard to go up and down stairs quickly, dont you? how about walking a mile or so? or running 100 yards??

And you, trying to make it all a big joke, trying to make it sound cool...You sure wont think that in some years to come when you're diagnosed with cancer or something worse....i pitty you. I would make that a WHOLE lot worse, but I may be warned off this amazing site...

well i think it's unfair to say that - everyone can have there own oppinion and it is the point of this topic

Thank you TFMF for setting this fool straight. I wanted to PM this "person" and let them know that their post was moderated but there is no way to contact him (her?). I guess it's easy to shoot your mouth off when no one can find you. Again...TY.

c4 B)

I was 11 years old.

Thank you TFMF for setting this fool straight. I wanted to PM this "person" and let them know that their post was moderated but there is no way to contact him (her?). I guess it's easy to shoot your mouth off when no one can find you. Again...TY.

c4 B)

TFMF = Moderator in his own way ;)

Well this Slash will find fewer friends on this forum

It's easy for non-smokers to be smug and self righteous, however, sometimes it isn't so easy. A lot smokers would like to pack, but the addiction is too strong. It it's a hell of a lot of will power, believe me I know.

I've been packed in for 3 months now, and it's still a struggle.

For those non smokers, who say you should never of started fair point, but again things aren't always so easy. For me peer pressure was a very strong. tired of being different I desperately wanted to fit in with crowd and be 'normal.' Smoking tends to be a social activity - especially on breaks at work.

Another point is that there is plenty of awareness about the dangers of smoking these days and the majority of people here are fairly young. This was not always the case and a lot of people who started smoking weren't completely aware of the hazards.

Finally there arew some people out there that just enjoy a good smoke. As long as they are they aren't endangering others then why the hell shouldn't they. As with anything in life (including these boards) you will always get arrogant people who are ignorrant of other eeds and desires, so unfortunately you will always get inconsiderate smokers (and posters) - Challenge them, Ask them to put it out or go away - politely and postiveity it can work wonders.

I've been packed in for 3 months now, and it's still a struggle.

Well keep going!!!

I've never really had an addiction, except for Star Wars KOTOR 2 which i keep playing so much, so i don't really know how it would feel to give somthing like smoking up but it's obviously very difficult.