A tree falls in a forest

lamp

A tree falls in a forest but no one is around to hear in' date=' does it make a sound?[/quote']

...If a tree falls in the forest and there is nobody nearby, the sound that it makes is very different and often not recognized as the sound of a tree falling.... from this page->

getodd.com

"......Well I'm standin' next to a mountain' date=' an' I chop it down with the edge of my hand."[/b']

-Jimi Hendrix

;)

Doesn't count... Jimi was tripping on LSD.

That's just a portal to non-consensual reality ... still counts, at least for Jimi! Sorta like all the shamanic journeys through the ages ... subjectively real, just not frequently shared by anybody else.

An interesting and legal experience in small-group non-consensual reality can be had by lying in a star configuration, heads together. Everybody starts out in a garden, in their imaginations. Breathing slowly and deeply (eyes closed), people speak their perceptions. You all head for the rainbow bridge and each describes the experience of climbing up the colors and crossing over. Then each describes their experience on the "other side." People riff off each others' experiences. It's an exercise in group-self-hypnosis and Very interesting. Consensus generally emerges, experiences merge, even when one or two people try to go off in a different direction than the group. They either get sucked back into the group imagination, or the group follows them into a new experience.

http://www.castaneda.com/

And what is sound? Vibration. A tree falling w/o creating vibration would directly contradict our current understandings of the physical universe. Is their sound w/o a listener? IMHO' date=' yes[/quote']

you wouldnt beleive how many times i've brought that up. some people just dont get it. :stare:

i noticed kirk calling it LDS as well but i was wondering if it was meant to be or a slip of the tongue they let go.

It was a funny. On the other hand, if you really did do too much LDS in the 60's, it's probably a disturbing flashback and not funny at all!

If the tree were real it would fall and it would send vibrations through Earth and Air and scare squirrels and birds. Well, that is if Earth, Air, Squirrels, and birds are real. I personally don't doubt reality. I have seen trees lying on the ground and there was no evidence that my ears or anybody elses had anything to do with it.

Besides with all the noise created by airplanes crashing into buildings and the constant thumping of rap music coming from my neighbors I doubt I would have heard it anyway.

So, in conclusion, I state that the right question to ask would be:

"If a tree falls in a forest and there is nobody standing directly beneath it does it really matter whether it fell at all?"