Space Above And Beyond

sinergy

Yeah, I really liked this show. I saw it when it was first aired in the UK by the BBC, back in 96/97 I think. I already knew it had been cancelled stateside though but was still disappointed to see that it only got 1 series. It deserved better imho.

I think I really liked the 'Top Gun in space' & the 'Platoon' aspects of it. It was a bit more gritty and mucky and I liked that.

The FX were really good too. Movie quality. I especially recall the cartwheeling space fighter during some desert planet attack scene.

Yup - thought it was good - so good I got all the episodes.

If anyone wants a copy, let me know - I do all in .avi or, I have converted the episodes onto 6 DVDR's.

I can do a torrent for either.

:)

Remember it? Only reason I finally ended up, years of waiting for it to come out on dvd, haunting the boards to trying and get an avi and et voila! Nite fixes me up sweeeet! Would've loved to see what was going to happen in season 2 though ...

I grabbet the S:AAB torrent a week or so ago, and have been watching it again. My Brother and I used to watch this show a lot back in 'the day', thanks so much for it :)

Does S:AAB remind anyone else of the new BSG at all, or is it just me?

I watched all the episodes season 1 and 2, in one day...

I really was impressed with the style of the show in the first season, but there was a clear shift in the writing for season 2. At that point It seemed as if the writing became typical and formulaic (sp?)... The second season was either a desperate attempt of increasing viewership, that failed, or the result of a psychotic focus group. In either case if you chose to revist the series watch the seasons seperately.. seems like two seperate shows...

• 1 month later...

It was an interesting mixture of ideas... I think it was good in idea if not execution. It was a bit much that the people were elite fighter pilots AND marines. A bit much... and it could have done with more detail but compared to most of the stuff out there, it was pretty enjoyable.

Yeah I remeber now I just looked it up. I didn't think it was a bad show but wasn't really on long enough to really go anywhere. Sometimes hard in Australia to know if shows were axed or they kept going but didn't rate well enough here. I do remember it was a bit gung ho but hard to compare to Star Trek only set in 2063 not 3-400 years into future.

One interesting thing I noticed was Tucker Smallwood who played Commodore Glen Ross has been in a lot of similar Sci Fi including Enterprise (Xindi Primate), Deep Impact, Contact and even Babylon 5

Hardly unusual - once you get into the sci-fi niche, you'll see that actors get a whole lot of reusing. I mean, just look at the Farscape/Andromeda/Stargate cross-pollination. Basically, American Network television and sci-fi tends to be hugely efficient at recycling these actors.