you are the weakest link....good bye

Ulysses

I feel that I must defend Starbuck.

I think Katee Sackhoff is doing a good job and is believable in her role. She is tough but feminine if she lets her guard down. I think the show will reveal why she is so tough at a later point. Possibly because of her childhood and her relationship with her father. I think she has hidden depths.

what is most annoying for me about her is that histerical laughter witch she pulls on a periodical bases - its just spooky for me, like she is a bit loony (smack! put yourself together girl!) and really alienate her as a likeable caracter for me. not to mention the cheezy dialogs.. no offence, Im just saying why I dislike the caracter. is it the script then?

• 4 weeks later...

I think her character is (like most charas in this show, eh) very well written and I actually like her very much, and I think we're going to find out some shockers in her past that explain why she's got that "gung-ho" facade she keeps up most of the time. I just love it when some emotion gets through the cracks ("the Farm", anyone?).

Look properly, there's always something to see; these writers are too good for "one-dimensional characters".

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just love it when some emotion gets through the cracks ("the Farm"' date=' anyone?).[/quote']

acctually in "the farm" stbck is not annoying at all (to me at least) and I can acctually relate to her. I like that episode - one of the best. maybe becose she is not in her "gung-ho" facade?

it must be that - I dont like pretenders in real life and becose of that stbcks attitude bugs me sometimes. it seems so unecesary to me.. I mean sometimes she is really selfdestructive with that attitude. a wise path is not (yoda would said:))

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry... the FEMALE STARBUCK is the worst character in BSG in my opinion.

I never liked her... I tried n now I like her even less.

Specially whenever I remember the original Starbuck.

People can say re-imagined n all that what they want.

BUT

I'll just ask one thing.

Would you like a re-imagined version of Capt. Kirk... where he's a Transexual Chinese boy !?

Or a RE-Imagined version of Capt. picard... where he's a trash talking black brotha.

OR

A Re-imagined version of Spider-man... where he's a distinguished Black woman.

There's you're answer. Some character changes you can live with... 'cause they fit... or they are more interesting this way... like the Female Cylon sharon.

BUT

Starbuck... nooo thank you.

Yes a re-imaged Captain Sulu where hes a gay Captain.........LMAO.........please if your American dont create a post telling me that Sulu's actor in real life is gay........that was the joke! ;-)

Dumn male opinion time......Starbuck isnt so bad.......I rather watch a women than a man on TV any day!

I think perhaps she should be a little tougher though.........shes a bit of nancy in a fist fight. She needs to be be like Shane from SAAB.........just the perfect blend there.........a bit of a stunner with enough power.

If Starbuck were male in the new series he would probably be as dull as Apollo............and I wouldnt of bought the DVD's!

Yeah but which would u rather prefer !?

An annoying... low self esteemed... "trying hard to edgy n cool n dramatic" for the sake of it [The current Sturbuck].

OR

The the funny... carefree wiseass hero like the Original Starbuck.

If you say the 1st one... then well buddy u got some weird idea about taste.

If you say they NEED to improve her character... my point is... THEY DIDN'T

They just changed her enough to add so called "DRAMA... EDGYNESS"

In our language we have a word called... "JOR... KORA"

means... you try desperately hard to put something in... which it isn't.

Example... STEALTH n 2 FAST 2 FURIOUS tried desperately to act cool n moody... but they were still 2 garbage movies.

Same with the current STARBUCK... on top of that... she hurts my eyes.

I mean I knew she was a woman 'cause I read about it... my friend was confused as to whether she was a pretty boy... or actually a girl.

The old Starbuck was a wooden character.........like most of the characters on TV at the time. His character in the A-Team was identical.........although I thought the name Templton Peck was a far cooler name than Starbuck........well I mean.........it sounds like some bloke who fiddles with horses!

2 Fast 2 Furious is a Chavs film.......I`d rather watch 24 hours of paint drying......or proceed to pluck out all my finger nails!

I mean I knew she was a woman 'cause I read about it... my friend was confused as to whether she was a pretty boy... or actually a girl.

Its whatever floats your boat mate! Well I dont think shes a lady boy or anything.......hell I wish she was sat on my knee right now rather than just talking about it. In Season 1 she gives Boltar one, wasnt your mate watching?!?

The trying too hard to be cool is what this character is all about. Shes the war hero and card gambler on the outside but inside shes troubled, fragile and lonely. In life there are many people like this including many great generals of WW2.

Bapman..........I canot believe for one second you would say no.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes a re-imaged Captain Sulu where hes a gay Captain.........LMAO.........please if your American dont create a post telling me that Sulu's actor in real life is gay........that was the joke! ;-)

Well this is no joke, I was stunned when I herd about neary 3 months ago....

News just in:- (Source http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/14363.html)

Oh, My! George Steps Out of Closet

It's a news story that's getting almost equal billing to the indictment of a top White House official: George Takei has come out of the closet and admitted publicly that he is gay.

Takei ("Sulu") spoke about his orientation in the current issue of Frontiers, a biweekly L.A. magazine for the gay and lesbian community, and confirmed it with the Associated Press.

Takei told the AP yesterday that his new onstage role in "Equus" (related story) helped inspire him to publicly discuss his sexuality. The current social and political climate also motivated his disclosure.

"The world has changed from when I was a young teen feeling ashamed for being gay," Takei said. "The issue of gay marriage is now a political issue. That would have been unthinkable when I was young."

The 68-year-old actor revealed that he and his partner, Brad Altman, have been together for 18 years. Altman also serves as his business manager.

Takei, a Japanese-American who lived in a U.S. internment camp from age 4 to 8, said he grew up feeling ashamed of his ethnicity and sexuality. He likened prejudice against gays to racial segregation.

"It's against basic decency and what American values stand for," he said.

In the Frontiers interview (related link), Takei says he's been "open" about his relationship, particularly to his family, but simply hasn't talked to the press about it before. "I've not had a good experience with one sibling," he adds. "My mother, initially, had some adjustments to make, but she got to like Brad very much." He and Brad cared for her in their home until she died of Alzheimer's disease.

Takei further discusses how he has lived with the dual shame of being both a Japanese-American and a homosexual. "And then [as you grow older], with reading, and talking to other people, your understanding of the situation starts to grow. And you think, 'It's wrong, this [shame] is not right.' And you start sharing it with more people," he says.

"We talk about diversity, ethnic diversity, but there's another kind of diversity [sexual orientation] that we haven't really come to grips with as a society. And the segregationist mentality is so strong, but it's as destructive as racial segregation was in the South, or incarceration on the basis of looking like the enemy, as in the case of Japanese-Americans during the second World War  you know, it's that same mentality, and in order to be vocal on those issues, I think I need to address those issues as who I am," he states.

Takei further decries "Bible-thumping religiosos" for imposing their version of truth on the rest of society. He also refers to California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger as "a dangerous politician" for backtracking on his support of gay rights and acting "in a segregationist way."

Takei's 1994 autobiography "To the Stars" avoids any discussion of his personal relationships, focusing mainly on his childhood experiences and acting career.

Well, it's too bad that a gay character was never part of a line up like Rodenberry said he wanted there to be and told fans that he would implement. After he died and Berman took over, he refused to have a gay character no matter how much the fans and the casts called out for one. I read an interview with Kate Mulgrew (a.k.a. Janeway) and she said she approaced Berman on many occasions and talked about having one of the regular members of 'Voyager' be gay, but Berman refused. I guess Berman wasn't too concerned with following through on Gene's intensions for Star Trek.

On a side note, I hope that if there is another Star Trek series to come out, that they start from scratch and do NOT include Berman or Braga. Star Trek needs some new blood if it is to get going again.

she's one of the better written characters in the series

in the original, obvious starbuck was a he but he was so two dimensional. he had that whole cheesey 70's hair and attitude. it was like luke skywalker met miama vice met some cheesey male model

in the new one, you have this rough and tough chick fighting it out to save her people. while obviously the tone is changed since the character went male to female, the overall personality changed. she's flawed. she has her personality flaws that make us connect to her as a person. the whole thing about giving her soon-to-be husband a passing grade in flight school so she could be with him, the fact she's one of the best pilots they have (if not the best) etc

i like while (going off the opinion of most people) she isn't as "hot" as Tricia Heffer (#6) she can go from playing the crack shot pilot to the beauty of the ball in an easy transition (anyone that says she was bad looking in Colonial Day is out of his mind).

While I love science fiction above all else, she is very much a reason I watch the show. I rarely give two $hit's about a female character in any show cause most of the time they are there just for sex appeal it's not so much the case in Starbuck's situation.