What DVDs did you buy because of *.torrents?

theaveng

Here's my list:

Phantom of the Opera - thought it would be trash, but ended up buying it.

I Robot - ditto

Earth Final Conflict Year 4 - (and avoided buying the lousy years 3 or 5)

Star Trek DS9

Babylon 5 - actually I already knew this was a good show... but it was nice to have the torrents, when the DVDs were not yet released

troy

I have not downloaded anything and then bought the DVD of it after. I'm happy with what i get with torrents. I download many Star Trek Episodes anyway so all the special features can be downloaded as well.

- Frasier

- Just Shoot Me

- News Radio

- The X-Files

- Some DS9/TNG

- Lots of Movies I don't really care to type out. For the series I have mentioned I currently own all seasons/released seasons(except ST). For the series that have not released all seasons I have the downloaded versions and when they come out, I buy them and delete the season from my computer.

Since I'm unemployed' date=' I don't buy many DVDs either, but I do rent them, so I do pay for them in some sense. I do plan on buying DVDs when I have a job, and when there are more than 4 episodes on a disc.[/quote']

i am sorry to hear that come to canada and ill give you a job(jokes)

Guest c4evap
I don't buy DVD's. I rent them' date=' then rip them, then shrink them if needed, then burn them. Some, I encode the seperate episodes from if applicable, then torrent them.[/quote']

Sounds like a plan! ;)

I didn't buy any. I don't plan to buy any. I'm going to steal them all...

MAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

c4 B)

I have not downloaded anything and then bought the DVD of it after. I'm happy with what i get with torrents. I download many Star Trek Episodes

Don't you think the actors deserve to get paid? Every DVD you buy, puts money into the actors & writers paychecks.

If you like Star Trek, then you should go buy the set.

troy

Don't you think the actors deserve to get paid? Every DVD you buy, puts money into the actors & writers paychecks.

troy

I agree with you, if you like them, you should buy them.

But in the movie/tv-industry things don't go like in the music-world. Actors and screenwriters usually get paid on a per episode basis. So after the series end, the only ones you'll be supporting with the money are the studios. You will still be "symbolically" supporting the series/actors/writers/..., but they don't get even a penny from that money. They got theirs when the shows were recorded (and plenty of it, believe me!).

That still doesn't mean you shouldn't buy them, b'cause you still should: like 'em -> buy 'em. And if you can't afford to, at least buy one season or so...

You never heard of "residuals"? Every time an episode of Star Trek is rerun on tv, or a DVD sold, the actors get paid. Ditto the writers.

So if you like a show, you should buy it, so the actors/writers get the money they deserve.

troy

I have not downloaded anything and then bought the DVD of it after. I'm happy with what i get with torrents. I download many Star Trek Episodes

troy

All well and good but some people cant afford to buy box sets at 80 quid a pop (about $150) per season, Ive been lucky and managed to buy all the TNG and DS9's but some people cant.

troy

All well and good but some people cant afford to buy box sets at 80 quid a pop (about $150) per season, Ive been lucky and managed to buy all the TNG and DS9's but some people cant.

If there was a way to download the episodes you wanted to download and each episode cost a couple of pounds then that might be a good idea - but the episodes are sold on DVD boxsets that are so expensive put together (and singualary if you divide the cost per episode)

You never heard of "residuals"? Every time an episode of Star Trek is rerun on tv, or a DVD sold, the actors get paid. Ditto the writers.

troy

Yes, you're right of course, but not all actors get residuals. They have to have this in their contract or be 'union actors'. I'm not entirely sure that most of the StarTrek actors go under this category. I don't know anything about the other shows...