The name 'Niteshdw'

TFMF

This is probebly not the best place to put this topic so i expcet it to be moved.

but anyway - i was just thinking - where did the name Niteshdw come from?

Also - how did you find this site?

I found this site on google a while ago, before it was Invite only

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody told me about it back in February, when the unauthorized preview of the first Doctor Who episode of the new series 'mysteriously' appeared on the Internet. I couldn't make head-nor-tail out of what to do when I got here and had no idea what bittorrent was about; so, I never did download it.

Somebody told me about it back in February' date=' when the unauthorized preview of the first Doctor Who episode of the new series 'mysteriously' appeared on the Internet. I couldn't make head-nor-tail out of what to do when I got here and had no idea what bittorrent was about; so, I never did download it.[/quote']

For the time or so surrounding that Dr. Who episode leakage, the site went for about 200,000 hits per month to well over 900,000 hits in HALF a month.

I even read a bunch of news online about the BBC looking to crack some heads over the leak, and that's when I moved the site's URL and switched to invite only. Traffic is down now to about 350,000 hits a month.

BTW, the name NiteShadow appeared in my head sometime around the age of 8 or 10. I used to use it for my name on BBSes, and even signed it in my journal (diary). The name was shortened to NiteShdw when certain applications back them wouldn't accept anything longer than 8 characters for a name (I think IRC was one of them).

I really picked up the name again when I started getting into the video encoding scene starting with Enterprise Season 3.

I found an encode of niteshdw on Kazaa (I apologize for ever using this software :p). Then I discovered the existence of bittorrent, and soon after that I accidentally found nite's site.... (must have seen it on either irc, googled it, or some weird forum)

Soon after that I started to use the forum sometimes and never stopped doing that. :)

I found the site late last year, in early December if I recall, when I realized that I had missed most of Enterprise seasons 2 and 3, but had been downloading the newer releases of Enterprise seasons 3 and 4 for about 6 months. So, the thought occurred to me: "maybe some older season torrents exists out there somewhere."

One day, I did a search on Suprnova, and came across some Enterprise Season 1, 2, and 3 torrents, if I recall. I also remember seeing the name [NiteShdw] after at least one of them. After they loaded in my BT client, I looked at the torrent details, saw the URL of the tracker, and from a simple process of elimination, quickly discovered the site (completely different URL then that it is now). I never used google or any other means to find it personaly.

I registered right away, and have been here since...

Why did you decide to create a torrent site?

Should you not be just very greatfull that he did?

I know i am!!

Able to find every bit of Sci-Fi i could ever want all in one place.

Once again we thank you Nite....

Oh i know!!! - i was only wondering - and i'm certainly greatful!!!

Why did you decide to create a torrent site?

I originally downloaded Enterprise episodes from CHerron on IRC. It was there they I discovered that a number of the XDCC servers also had these weird files that ended in ".torrent".

I asked that they were all about. I found the 350mb rips of Enterprise, and decided that it would be useful to have an encode that was better quality than CHerron's 80mb, but easier to download than the 350mb. I originally released encodes at 115mb, then I moved to 175mb (though I made both versions through all of season 3).

Well, once I decided to start releasing my 115mb/175mb encodes, I found BNBT to use a tracker to host my torrents. (I didn't know about any free hosts back them) If you goggle niteshdw.dyndns.org you might still find a cached page of that BNBT server.

I eventually, for an unknown reason, moved into setting up a full website based on TorrentTrader, which I slowly hacked and modified. The site was originally "NiteShdw's Star Trek Torrents"... then became "NiteShdw's Sci-Fi Torrents" and on the to famous "NiteShdw's Sci-Fi Fansite and Forum".

As the site became more and more popular, I added categories for more and more Sci-Fi content. For example, previously there was only a single "Sci-Fi TV" category, which has now morphed into a dozen sub-categories.