Recommend a DVD burner

MindTrick

There are plenty of different DVD burners out there, and choosing between them all for a novice can be confusing. Personally I've heard the best of the lot are BenQ burners. I was using an LG, but it quit after only 8months. I ended up getting a hp 640c with lightscribe, the only reason for that being it was on sale, it was dual layer, I had about only 3gig left for storage, and i needed to get my rips off my Hard Drive :) It seems to be working fine, the buffer varies a bit compared to my lg (My lg held at a steady 99-100 percent, where is the hp varies between 87-100).

So what would ya'll recommend, and what do you currently have in your system?

What I heard, the LG GSA-4167B, the Benq DW1640 and the Plextor PX-716A (if you can spare the cash for this one since it's real expensive) are your best choices.

I've got a Benq and the writer buffer somethimes goes as low as 30% and still I have very high quality burns, 98% with Nero cd-speed.

Any burner with only 2MB of cache and speeds of up 16x will have trouble keeping its buffer completely filled:

16x = 21MB/s

2MB buffer

buffer empty in 2/21= 0.1s that's not a whole lot of buffer now is it?? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

You know what, I have this cheapo Rosewill DVD-DL burner from newegg.com and it has never let me down. The thing is quiet, blazing fast, and beats the ones at school (i'm a multimedia major, so we have good comp's) by a long shot. Rosewill actually is a respectable brand name. For just $40, I was willing to take the risk. I came out on top on this one!

yeap i'd go for the cheapest branded name one... like lg. pioneer...

but i got a phillips one (£30 the cheapest i could get was 25 so i didn't care!)

i has dl too but can't seem to find the disc's on sale... anywho i use sl disc all the time!!!!

btw i got a benq one on my laptop... pretty good but picky on media to what it bruns on (well)...

Personally I have a LiteOn SHW1635S it was relatively cheap at about £45 and it says it can do double layer and dual layer(what`s the difference?), although I haven`t tried it yet.

I have had it for a few months now, and so far there have been no problems burning or reading.

Oh, and it came with an extra black bezel set....ooohhh!! ;)

Personally I have a LiteOn SHW1635S it was relatively cheap at about £45 and it says it can do double layer and dual layer(what`s the difference?)

This difference is in what type (format) discs it can burn. Double Layer is DVD+R

and Dual Layer is DVD-R. This might be important depending on what sort of drives or DVD players you own. It used to be that + and - were incompatable with each other, but these days many manufactueres make drives that can can use either format.

Nowadays, every burner I have ever seen burns everything. Anything above $35 will have dual layer DVD+/-R, and burn 16x. Some people like the expensive Pioneer or Benq drives, but most $40-50 models are great values. I, personally, like burning a disc in 5:40 with my LG 4167