What Captain takes the most risks

Greendusk

You know it's stupid - all these captains have made so many risks and yet Worf in the episode 'Change of Heart' took 1 risk to save his wife and because of that we hear he probably won't be getting a command of his own - that wouldn't have happened to Sisko or Kirk now would it! :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's down to the necessity of long term stability in Trek though.

I mean, let's face it - if people in TV shows were held to account for the risks they took, it wouldn't matter what they did they'd get hauled over the hot coals for it. I imagine Kirk, Sisko, Picard would all rot in jail and Janeway would end up swinging from a noose. Of course, that wouldn't make terribly good TV if every episode you had the entire crew dismissed for a crazy risk.

Besides, Worf's conduct in Change of Heart was poor. He put personal feelings above his duty as a star fleet officer - pretty out of character for him and unklingon really, given the number of times he's done EXACTLY that and screwed himself over because of his sense of duty.

Sisko.

He never has a casual day, he always have to weigh the fate of entire Bajor against his obligations as the Captain of the key location in the quadrant + the Dominion threat.

All the other Captains are mostly just risking their stupid ship or maybe a minor conflict with this or that empire whilst Sisko has the entire quadrant to worry about.

Well Picard did have to worry about that too - i mean i just watched Redemption - and it seems to me that Picard made some clever, calculated risks to avoid war between Romulans, Klingons + Federation - there are other instances of this as well

Each Captain takes risks in different ways. Sisko was often tied down by orders the Federation gave him - there didn't seem to be as much of a problem with Picard - he was more independent....

Janeway sure did take a lot of risks, and remember Starfleet said she had a record that compared favorably with Kirk's. The question I want answered:

Is Janeway a suicide bomber? She drove voyager into an alien timeship just because she broke her ship to the point it didn't work anymore and all her crew left her behind and she got some scars in a fire.

I suppose that's a risk because she nullified that timeline,

but, wait, maybe she didn't take the risk at all, being nullified and all.

Goddamn temporal anomolies!

Oh, and she traveled backwards in time and killed all the borg.

That's a pretty big risk. She lost too, suicide again!

So I think Janeway was the LEAST successful risk taker.

Kirk was the one who said "Risk is our business". It was his command philosophy, and holy crap he lived by it. But he died taking a risk! AAAAAAAArgh

Remember, EVERY captain has died due to a Temporal anomoly / Alternate universe. I suppose the nexus falls under both categories.

The captains are always taking a risk when they shuffle off this mortal coil.

I suppose it comes down to personal choice. I'm gonna go with Kirk, because he took the risks first.

Enterprise is like the Star Wars prequels, Best left ignored.

Admiral janeway died on the cube/city/whatever the hell the queen was located in.

Was it the assimilation attempt that infected the collective? or did the borg queen inject admiral janeway with poisoned nanoprobes? Either way, would have sucked to be there when it exploded.

So through a temporal anomaly she died again.

I don't mean to nitpick, but if you die, did you really pull things off as planned?

as for the timeship, insert your favorite woman driver joke :P

And once again, if the temporal anomaly cancels out two possibilities, is the risk nullified?

From another standpoint, is the resulting event caused by the risk?

Admiral Janeway infected the Borg with a Pathegen - so what the Queen assimilated her - She was infected with this pathegen that killed her and destroyed the Borg.

Yeah this temporal thing is really confusing....i'd say that running into the Timeship was a risk but wasn't a suicidal risk

Depends on weather or not you buy into string theory ghostshadow, if you do, it's not a universe, it's a multiverse.

time and time again in star trek, things change. It isn't always linear.

I think ramming the timeship was a suicidal risk, The time ship could have been armored better than the already fractured voyager, crushing it like an egg against a brick wall.

Janeway didn't know that ramming the timeship would fix things, she assumed it would.

Once again, the thought process leading up to the risk are interesting, but is the risk nullified if the timeline folds in on itself?

Worf isn't really taking risks, he views honorable death as a bonus. I think that does make him bolder, but not more likely to take risks.

The man drinks prune juice!

Well considering her ship was battered, her crew scattered or dead and the fact that Anerax had to be stopped - it was the best move - Janeway HAD to destroy the timeship and it was quite logical to assume that would revert the timeline back

Well considering her ship was battered' date=' her crew scattered or dead and the fact that Anerax had to be stopped - it was the best move - Janeway HAD to destroy the timeship and it was quite logical to assume that would revert the timeline back[/quote']

I do agree with your comments. I believe it was the simple fact that Anerax had to be stopped (as you said). He was destroying countless civilizations. It was NOT a suicide move by any stretch of the imagination (IMHO).

c4 B)