What Captain takes the most risks

Greendusk

Yes the vulcans helped Starfleet but not to the point that they told them everything or protected them from every danger earth would encounter Archer was very much alone when he went out there was no Gigantic Star fleet backing him up (much like Janeway)

How did Janeway have the "Gigantic Star fleet" backing her up when she was in the Delta quad??? I do believe they were like 70,000 light years from home! Come on!

:thinking:

I said Kirk. Only because his show was the shortest.

Wasn't the animated show as short or shorter?

c4 B)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the vulcans helped Starfleet but not to the point that they told them everything or protected them from every danger earth would encounter Archer was very much alone when he went out there was no Gigantic Star fleet backing him up (much like Janeway)

How did Janeway have the "Gigantic Star fleet" backing her up when she was in the Delta quad??? I do believe they were like 70,000 light years from home! Come on!

Answers in the question.

Answers in the question.

heh, heh, a slight case of misinterpretation... :)

happens to everybody at one time or the other... ;)

^ and what the f*@# does that MEAN??? Do you know you can get yourself a BAN no matter what color is your skin, he???

Maybe you're right about Janeway, but technically, she just didn't have any choise. I mean, how should she behave in a situation like this (in ST VGR)? She's doing what she MUST do all the time. Taking risks means to choose the less comfortable and safe way of doing something - that means you've got to have a choise, so you could take risks. What would Janeway do if she had the choise?

My first instinct, and the one I went with, was Archer. That man just flipped out and said to hell with everything. Sure I'll board and take your ship and leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. I have a problem and I'm willing to risk you and my crew any day to solve it.

Had to like his morals. ;)

Maybe I'm slanting the original intent of the poll but I couln't get past this part of his personality. No other captain risked stepping past this line in my opinion. Ya, they broke the prime directive, but they never sacrificed their own morals. They only recognised when the prime directive didn't apply.

Answers in the question.

Where? There was no Star Fleet in the Delta quad. What am I missing?

c4 :thinking:

Answers in the question.

Where? There was no Star Fleet in the Delta quad. What am I missing?

c4 :thinking:

Well, Terme intended to say exactly the opposite of what you thought he said.

much like Janeway: meaning Janeway was also very much alone out there... :)

Kirk was a downright maniac. How Starfleet could commission someone so brash, with a complete disregard for his personal well-being, and easily influenced by pheremones is a mystery. Any given voyage had more casualties than Gettysburg, relatively speaking. At some point the red shirts probably held some sort of last rights service for those called to the transporter room.

Not to mention, most of Kirk's solutions to problems at first employ violence. Either that or overhauling the ship's engines to the brink of self-destruction. Whenever there's a crisis, he'd get on the intercom and address an oblivious crew, all of whom were going about their own business peacefully until crazy Jim Kirk informs them they're about to become space dust.

If he is not the riskiest captain, it is because he had the best advisors. Without Bones and Spock, his risks on a whole would not have been very calculated.

Kirk was a downright maniac. How Starfleet could commission someone so brash, with a complete disregard for his personal well-being, and easily influenced by pheremones is a mystery. Any given voyage had more casualties than Gettysburg, relatively speaking. At some point the red shirts probably held some sort of last rights service for those called to the transporter room.

Not to mention, most of Kirk's solutions to problems at first employ violence. Either that or overhauling the ship's engines to the brink of self-destruction. Whenever there's a crisis, he'd get on the intercom and address an oblivious crew, all of whom were going about their own business peacefully until crazy Jim Kirk informs them they're about to become space dust.

If he is not the riskiest captain, it is because he had the best advisors. Without Bones and Spock, his risks on a whole would not have been very calculated.

That just gave me the chuckles reading it...you should publish that somewhere. Are you sure you didn't steel that from Dave Berry? :) If not, he should steel it from you.

kirk violated EVERY directive ever made' date=' and still managed to retain captaincy of his ship. Janeway did too, but she did it to get people home and survive. Kirk did it because he was Kirk-the-magnificent, poster-boy for the federation.[/quote']

if i am not mistaken, kirk broke every directive and was freaking promoted.... that is hilarious. lmao

he was made admiral rite? so that he wont command a ship and wld atay out of trouble. but he always does.

Picard had to go against Q in the trial. but when Q visited Janeway i guess they've became friends. the Q nephew even calls janeway aunt cathy.

sisko? the bajouran god....

what do u guys think about archer again?

i'd go with Janeway any day.

I don't know Janeway or Kirk well enough to judge them, and between Sisko, Archer, and Picard, I definitely choose Sisko. Archer was quite restrained, and when he forgot himself, T'Pol reminded him. Sure he had no one's example to follow, but T'Pol's Vulcan database helped him to avoid a lot of risks.

Picard may have had to make a lot of life or death decisions, but he always thought about them a lot. He never did anything rash unless he had no choice, and even then he usually thought about it for more time than he had. So, as I know nothing of Janeway, I would rate the other four in this order: Sisko, Kirk, Archer, Picard. Sisko, Kirk, and Archer all reasonably close.

I voted Archer.

He started his explorations armed with torpedoes that barely could hit a planet from any distance and the phasors hadn't even been installed. Also since he was the first captain out in the dark cold space, he had to improvise every new decision he made and learn it the hard way by trial and error.

All the other captains had guidelines (Prime directive) to follow in situations when decisions were difficult to make.

Anyone starting to watch one of the series' date=' or re-watching them, should keep track of risks taken by captains, and we can answer this statistically.[/quote']

That's really tough to do considering Kirk had only 3 seasons whereas the other captains (minus poor Archer) had 7.