for the UK users...be careful of bulldog communications

Ulysses

hiya peeps

Just a quick warning about bulldogs adverts about a 8mb connection, what they dont actually admit is the fact that they cant always provide it even in large towns like my own.

appartently i am 4km away from the exchange and instead of getting a 8mb download speeds i am only getting 2mb so basically ive said either sort it or i will be contacting OFTEL about miss-leading advertising..and reminded them about BBC's watchdog hehe

Oh well better get myself over to NTL cable instead....bummmer

I suppose it's ADSL, right?

Connection speeds allways go down in speed resonably fast the farther you are away from a junction.

Over here they admit that the speeds go down by 50% for 5km and past 10 you can't even get a connection. Keeping that in mind, only 2Mbps remaining from a 8Mbps connection is indeed a very steep drop over only 4km. I don't think they can justify that solely by distance and you're absolutely right to complain about it.

They should provide people with a better connection, but usually they advertise saying something like: 8Mbps maximum and not saying anything about minimum, so I doubt you can really do anything legally, but if you can, you sure should, b'cause they ARE out of line, giving such slow speeds!

hiya peeps

Just a quick warning about bulldogs adverts about a 8mb connection, what they dont actually admit is the fact that they cant always provide it even in large towns like my own.

appartently i am 4km away from the exchange and instead of getting a 8mb download speeds i am only getting 2mb so basically ive said either sort it or i will be contacting OFTEL about miss-leading advertising..and reminded them about BBC's watchdog hehe

Oh well better get myself over to NTL cable instead....bummmer

Yeah - it's the same with Wanadoo - they offer 8 meg broadband for £14.99 - YEAH - WHATEVER... :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You want to try UKONLINE.

They offer 1mb at only £9.99 per month or even better 2 mb at only £14.99 per month.

With both of these there is no download limits.

They are also rolling out a 24mbs service, £29.99 per month.However i do not see how they can offer this when the speed drops so much the further you are away from the exchange.

I have had my line tested and the say the max i can have is 4mbs ,,,,,, Bummer :(

• 3 weeks later...

is dsl all they have in the UK? no cable or even isdn? ive gotten the same if not slightly higher speeds (not 8m obviously) compared to typical dsl in america. and if worst came to worse being too far for dsl you might get lucky for a dual isdn setup (not as fast but hey better than dialup by far).

A phone company here is offering dsl for $1499 a month, but it's top down speed is 786k I think, people are jumping all over it...at least it isn't dial-up, but I get my 6 megabit-on with cable. They charge $43 a month for that, about £21 if I have it figured properly. Of course, I'm not paying for the internet, just the cable, the modem is mine and they "give" me the internet. I got a file earlier that dropped at 846kb/s, how does that come out in megabits?