Is there a god?

mcant

Actually, according to the theory, there are eleven dimensions.

Of course theories keep changing as new information comes to light.

String theory! Still unproven, but it's being worked on. And the number of dimensions depends on which version of string theory you are talking about.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they ARE having trouble figuring out how to get a theory that can describe an infinity of possible universes to talk about this one without resorting to filling in the slots with constants from older theory...

Edit: Only a very, very small subset of belief ever makes it to knowledge status...

Suspect indeed.

Throughout history, in all cultures of the world, people have been convinced there is a God.

Billions of people, who represent diverse sociological, intellectual, emotional, educational makeups...believe that there is a Creator, a God to be worshipped.

That's point 1? This does not look promising. Believing in something doesn't make it real; I don't care how many people it is. And a lot of these people believe in an entirely different deity or deitys than the christian one, yet their beliefs are used in an attempt to justify the christian ones?

The complexity of our planet points to a deliberate Designer who not only created our universe' date=' but sustains it today.[/quote']

The old Watchmaker argument. This is way more reasonable, I'd have to say that this is probably the best argument I've ever heard.

Mere "chance" is not an adequate explanation of creation.

That is correct. Chance by itself is not enough. But when you take into account the unfathomable number of stars and planets in the universe, suddenly it is.

Humankind's inherent sense of right and wrong cannot be biologically explained.

Yes it can. There is a specific cluster of cells in the human brain which are responsible for empathy. What they do is allow you to basicly "put yourself in someone else's shoes". It's what stands between a normal person and a psychopath.

God not only has revealed Himself in what can be observed in nature' date=' and in human life, but He has even more specifically shown Himself in the Bible.[/quote']

There are two seperate points here. We already covered the Watchmaker argument, so on to point two.

The Bible is a revisionist work, and furthermore many books never made the cut. It mainly consists of the stuff churches in the time period the Bible was put together were most commonly studying. How can you say that the Bible is the absolute word of God when it needed revision and depended on popularity to become cannon?

Unlike any other revelation of God' date=' Jesus Christ is the clearest, most specific picture of God.[/quote']

So you say. Reasons?

He did what people can't do. Jesus performed miracles.

People today perform the same kinds of miracles and are often exposed as frauds.

The most conclusive proof that Jesus is equal to God was Jesus' most closely scrutinized miracle - His own resurrection from the dead.

Proof... did you know that Jesus wasn't the first person to be placed in a tomb with a boulder rolled in the front of the entrance, and then resurected three days later? I must say I was very supprised to learn of this. Rehearsal, perhaps?

Believing in something doesn't make it real

Try to remember that next time you're in a dream. Believing something in this reality might not make it real, but who's to say this is the dominant reality. Life is but a dream; a bad one.

The complexity of our planet points to a deliberate Designer who not only created our universe' date=' but sustains it today.[/quote']

How about just setting things in motion and let them play out. Why does everything have to be an act of God. You can blow your brains out right now and no one would stop you, but something might intervene to bring you back to learn a lesson.

He has even more specifically shown Himself in the Bible.

Contradiction here. How can God show itself when others are quoted as saying God has never shown itself to man.

People today perform the same kinds of miracles and are often exposed as frauds.

I love me some of them teleee vangelists. Been exposed and still come back after they think people have forgotten about them. There's a place for them under a steamy pile of wretch acid.

I must say I was very supprised to learn of this. Rehearsal' date=' perhaps?[/quote']

Might be surprised to learn that others say there was a back entrance to the cave. And Jesus wasn't dead, just unconscious. Why did they take him down after only a few hours when it takes days to die on the cross. Malnourished? heh.

Believing in something doesn't make it real

Try to remember that next time you're in a dream. Believing something in this reality might not make it real, but who's to say this is the dominant reality. Life is but a dream; a bad one.? heh.

Life is nothing like a dream, and when I am dreaming, I know I am dreaming. Don't you?

When I was a child I somehow learned the art of 'directed dreaming.' So, for example, when I had a nightmare, if it got too scary, I could wake myself up, at will, by simply blinking in the dream.

Later, I was able to consciously decide to return to a specific dream, even the next night, continue where I left off, or redream it and change it in accordance with the way I wanted it to turn out.

Now, I don't know about you, but I've never been able to replay real life and fix it so it turned out the way I wanted it to the next time around, especially, since in life, . . . well, as far as I know, nobody's figured out a way to time travel yet. Thus, you can't go back and fix it.

Hence, for me, dreaming is very different from real life, and, with practice, you could learn to see this as well.

I forget the names, but there are a number of star trek epidodes where directed dreaming is used, and you can take it from me that they didn't make this up. You really can do this, and it's not that difficult to learn.

http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

This article will give you six reasons why God must exist. Take a look, and judge for yourself.

Each of those can be easily exploded, but I don't have time to disuss them all, and I notice that others already have.

My favourite one, however, is, perhaps, the one about everybody believing it; so, it must be so, which is such a spurious argument. People have believed all sorts of things that have been proven false, and I'm sure I need not go through the list.

In some circumstances, however, having faith, increases one's chances of survival, an obvious evolutionary advantage. Indeed, there is evidence that religuosity itself has a genetic component, and scientists have identified the part of the brain involved.

Faith can motivate people in positive ways (as well as being used as an excuse for the negative), and keep them from losing heart or giving up in terrible situations. The ability to survive is an obvious advantage, and faith probably helps people to keep going in situations where others might give up, crawl away, and die.

Mind you, religious faith is not the only kind. For example, faith in science is still faith, as was pointed out in one of my favourite Voyager episodes, "Sacred Ground."

Which really means; science and religion eventually go hand in hand - in a sense!

Not necessarily. Historically, and even today, religion and science have often been at odds. In particular, religion has the tendency to attempt to prescribe the sorts of questions that we are allowed to ask and the kind of research we are permitted to do, and to restrict freedom of choice in general. One of the most famous examples is Gallileo, but even today religious leaders figure prominently among the voices attempting to ban certain types of research.

That which used to be 'belief' becomes fact

Unless it’s proven false.

Life is nothing like a dream, and when I am dreaming, I know I am dreaming. Don't you?

When I was a child I somehow learned the art of 'directed dreaming.'

And before you learned that? Your dreams were real and you couldn't control them or know you were dreaming most of the time. It's just one of the many levels of consciousness. One day you might expand into the higher levels, like some of us have. Then it gets harder to determine what is real. You'll know when it happens, and you'll never forget it over time, like you would a dream.

Same might be said for people who eat mushrooms, but it's not the same experience.13.gif

but even today religious leaders figure prominently among the voices attempting to ban certain types of research.

Did I forget to mention, don't trust priests? hehe. They'll lead you down their own path. Not yours.

And before you learned that? Your dreams were real and you couldn't control them or know you were dreaming most of the time. It's just one of the many levels of consciousness. One day you might expand into the higher levels' date=' like some of us have. Then it gets harder to determine what is real. You'll know when it happens, and you'll never forget it over time, like you would a dream.[/quote']

But, that still doesn't make it reality.

The idea of levels of consciousness is a disputed one. Some scientists deny that they even exist, and their proof is partially in the PET scans they have done on the brains of people who claim to have these experiences. The exact same pattern changes can be found in actors playing roles or being asked to fake it.

everything that exist... it mustve been created by someone. i voted YES. i do believe in devine power.

but if there is life on another planet, do they still worship GOD, JESUS, ALLAH... believe in adam, noah, abaham, muhammad? are we the center of the universe? people of the book! what do the holy books say on this matter?

Q is like god... supreme being... but god's power shldve no limit... if not our billion prayers wld never be heard.

perhaps our futile minds would never comprehend GOD

• 2 weeks later...

Is There A God? :mad: NO NO NO God and the whole idea of Gods Spirts Higher Beings and of course jesus christ is all historic Bull its sad that billions of people go to church say grace ask for forgiveness or whatever they say in them places and then fanatics decide oh god says blow myself up in his name whats that line thou shall not KILL and yet they do.God is the worst peice of bull ever created and i know what you think oh hes a satanic but im not i refuse to beleive in the BIG LIE Which is GOD Allah Budda Or any other name that it goes by isnt and never will be real

heaven and hell is medieval bull crap to scare kids the world is the way it is now IE terrorism holy wars mass murders its all because morons and i mean morons in the politest way possible beleive in GOD its not your fault its generations of this crap Ban All RELIGON wars stop no religous fanatics no Holy wars the world will be a better place welll thats my opinion

PS

G.S.D have a guess what this means LOL