How long would it take for 1 Borg to assimilate Earth (2005)

Nightmare

yeah, but have you seen the borg fight, they will swing their arm around and hope to hit you, they are also very slow and confined to the limits to which they can adapt. And the only way they could assimilate a large group of ppl with out imediate retaliation, they would have to assimilate a third world country.

And our mariens excel in defeating the unexpected. Humans adapt too.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real question is how quickly the Borg could spread before the threat is recognised. This is no easy task as they would find it hard to get on a commercial airliner. Setting up in an isolated third world country might help them establish a base but it would also limit there movement. The Night's Dawn series of books by Peter Hamilton ( which i just read) dealt with a similar problem.

The Borg face heap of problems establishing themselves. If they are isolated then they are in real trouble because they have to make so many modifications to technology to stand a chance planes would need shields or they would be shot out of the sky etc. However as soon as they Borg had some of their high tech equipment it would be over fairly quickly you couldn't even hide.

Yeah, but there's a difference between a space submarine like the NX series, and a planet. Now, I assume we're talking about some 21st century Borg, and not some time-travelling ones, in which case we would easily triumph. Since they only assimiliate advanced cultures, they are only equipped to handle such a people's defenses. Granted, against us, an advanced culture would be triumphant, but it's really a Rock/Paper/Scissors scenario. The Borg are able to easily defeat a people who use focused energy-based weapons, and so have little or no defense against primitive kinetic energy-based weapons. They can adapt their shielding so as to become invisible to advanced sensors, but our world still heavily relies upon visual sensor technology. They can effectively cripple societies which rely heavily upon computers to function via the uploading of a Borg virus, but at this stage in our society, such a virus would be a mere inconvenience, in the overall scheme of things (sure, it would throw our economy into ruin, but that doesn't keep us from shooting bullets at some cyborgs). Remember: the Borg are not a technologically advanced society; they are, rather, a group designed specifically to DEFEAT advanced societies, and as such have little to no ability to defeat a primitive culture such as ours.

Now, one might posit First Contact as an example of my mistaken conclusions, but one must remember that that world was already heavily devastated by internal conflict. Once they take out everybody from orbit, they just set down and reproduce. Couldn't happen to us.

Well yes it is a planet - which makes it much worse - i mean on the ENT E they had a much higher chance of being discovered - than if the Borg infiltrated a planet - they could build up there forces (by assimilation of course) quickly but quietly - i mean the Borg are smart - they won't just waltz into New York and start assimilating people there, they'd pick people off one by one and then they would sperate there forces all over the world....and before you know it - there everywhere and there to spread out to stop.....

Well the borg are fake, and bullets are not, lol. You all give to much credit to the borg. It would take a while for teh borg to adapt.... A CD player can not become much more than a CD player... all that could happen if you put advanced technology is have a better anti-shock system in there.

But this my friends is not fake, the 82nd airborne :p

82nd_iraq.jpg

Why does everybody assume that more advanced tech doesn't affect low tech?

The Borg must have been "primitive" in their past and since they assimilate technology they surely must have assimilated more primitive tech as well. Or have they "forgot" more primitive techs or what? No way!

I think the Borg would use less "primitive" tech to assimilate humanity and that wouldn't be so efficient, but whatever works will do the job.

The US army has less than 3 million soldiars ( i know it could be much less or even more but lets just take that figure) - So the Borg start assimilating more deprived countries - suddenly - the Borg outnumber the army - but there still outgunned - oh - but look at that - the Borg have the Internet now. - They can take down communications and cause chaos. - news programs and all that have gone down - EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED - It's like in First Conntact - they take out power, access, communications and everything and even the crew of the ENT with there technology couldn't stop them

I think you glazed over the topic of the US army, True we have around 3 million ppl in our army.... but they are 3 million of the most well traind soliders on earth. And The US military does not use Civilian connections, they have their own private companies that run a very secure connection that is based at the US Pentagon. And security there is tight. Every security gaurd has at least served in the military for 5 years, or are former law enforcement officers, or are NSA, FBI, CAI agents. They ALL carry fully automatic machine guns, sub machine guns, grenades, and side arms. I wont go into teh full security of the pentagon b/c its a very long list. but in short- god himself would find trouble breaking into the pentagon.

So its not like the borg could assimilate comcast HQ and control the world.

And if i am not mistaken the borg are all wires and stuff... would a chaff grenade stun them for a bit?

The Military can't protect everyone - the Borg will go for the weaker countries first - and i mean they could build there army really quickly by doing that the army would find themselves outnumbered by far - too far....trade would be cut off and everything - communications - and if the US fired nukes - they wouldn't be defeating the Borg - there would be too many to kill...and it would only kill inocent people

Ok... the reason I haven't joined this conversation for sooo long is 'cause its sooo rediculous.

1) Regardless WHERE a drone is dropped off... if it's only 1. They'll never survive.

WHY !?

'Cause they can be killed by bullets... so by the time they can ACTUALLY get a sufficieny number to start having a huge collective to start adapting... they'll either get killed or shot by the military... police or rednecks with guns.

Even if the the borg drops in low tech areas... people can kill them with bear traps n swords.

Soooo 1 borg... can't take over Earth.

2) If its just about math... 1 borg slowly taking over EARTH... then no idea... simply 'cause the maths is too long n I can't be bothered.

it's weird that the Federation never used Bullets as an effective way of dealing with the Borg....or rather - why the writers never used them....but we know the answer to that....but if you watch first contact - the bit where Picard and that other woman were in the Holodeck - it took many bullets to take down that borg....though i suppose it depends how powerful the gun is....

Ok... here some weaknesses to BORG that they HAVEN'T adapted to.

1) Pulling of their pipes connected anywhere on the head

2) Directly HITTING them with stuff... like pipes... bullets... swords/battlaths

3) Cracking their necks... which is very easily done... heck PICARD even cracked the BORG queen's mechanical spine with his bare hands.

If in modern day BORGS attack... they r not gonna live through infanrtry mines... armour piercing sniper bullets... napalm... BIG A$$ BOMBS.

I think you're being a bit jingoistic. The borg are far more advanced than us. It probably is reasonably safe to assume that they could make mincemeat out of most any military force we' date=' as humanity, could muster.[/quote']

No i am just a Nationalist :)

AND TEH BORG ARE FAKE, THIS IS A LOADED QUESTION. lol so we dont need to pull out Stats.. i cant believe this has gone on for three pages :o

Well i think that the drone would be completely noticeable by anyone and would be killed before it could infect anyone, but you could imagin, about 8 billion people, would take a few months, because they would also have to cross water and huge distances, etc, etc.