why is the states so stuborn when it comes to climate control

Ulysses

You are wrong. No man can stand for election as President more than twice. However, he could run as a Vice-Presidential Candidate.

The US's biggest problem with the Kyoto accords is in fact money.

I see; well, too bad for US. new president a la clinton is so unlikely to happen in near future..

and about kyoto - whose countries biggest problem isnt the money? :) all countries would need more money. US is nothig special in this regard.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But' date=' hey, Europeans telling the US what to do is old news. We aren't listening.[/quote']

Just remind me........did any large scale disasters occur in the USA this year? Oh no, that couldnt possibly have anything to do with global warming could it!

Its called learning the hard way or learning the USA way.

After all its written that man will destroy himself.......lets make it happen.

When the Chinese levels of pollution and greehouse gas output levels pass the U.S. levels while ours drop, will it still be all our fault?

When the Chinese levels of pollution and greehouse gas output levels pass the U.S. levels while ours drop' date=' will it still be all our fault?[/quote']

no, it will be chinese (it is also now - nobody is saying that it isnt) - but US cannot be first at giving good example, oh no, its dangerous to show your "weaker" side ;)

I have a friend who works for computer newspaper and not so long ago he was telling me about an article he was writing - US computer "recycling" is going straight to china and they "recycle" these parts in the open air with acid (europe and us would need special facilities for that sort of recycling), the water is undrinkable around the area and we get acid/sour rain from that.

its cheaper for US to send these parts to china and china is willing to get as much money they can get. but if chinese dont have enviromental avarenes, does that mean that is ok for US to do that? since we are all on the same planet I think not..

pointing fingers never solved any problem. you have to start with yourself first by being example to others.

why not? as far as I know you cant be elected more that 2 elections in a role. but to run for the third time when 4 or 8 years has passed - there is no obstacle there in the law as far as I know.. but its probably true - the democtrats will never go with that.

You are wrong. No man can stand for election as President more than twice. However, he could run as a Vice-Presidential Candidate. Read the 22nd Amendment.

The US's biggest problem with the Kyoto accords is in fact money. It's not that the US fears losing industry money to Europe, but to China, India, Mexico and other nations just now coming into full industrialisation.

The US economy is based less and less on manufacturing and industry, but it's still mammoth, and cutting emissions will be expensive. But, hey, Europeans telling the US what to do is old news. We aren't listening.

thats just typical arrogance, by countries like the states not listening and not even agreeing to talk about this HUGE problem will cause mass flooding around coastal areas which will mean millions of people losing there homes, not to mention many speices of wildlife being driven to extinction, just because of money...how niave and pathetic.

Its a bit of a silly attitude to take......saying........I wont do this until my next door neighbour does. Once the US cuts emissions world pressure will be focused on China. And if China refuses.......then other countries will refuse their exports which will cause a melt down of China's economy. So you see it is with in their best interests to act under pressure.

why not? as far as I know you cant be elected more that 2 elections in a role. but to run for the third time when 4 or 8 years has passed - there is no obstacle there in the law as far as I know.. but its probably true - the democtrats will never go with that.

You are wrong. No man can stand for election as President more than twice. However, he could run as a Vice-Presidential Candidate. Read the 22nd Amendment.

The US's biggest problem with the Kyoto accords is in fact money. It's not that the US fears losing industry money to Europe, but to China, India, Mexico and other nations just now coming into full industrialisation.

The US economy is based less and less on manufacturing and industry, but it's still mammoth, and cutting emissions will be expensive. But, hey, Europeans telling the US what to do is old news. We aren't listening.

thats just typical arrogance, by countries like the states not listening and not even agreeing to talk about this HUGE problem will cause mass flooding around coastal areas which will mean millions of people losing there homes, not to mention many speices of wildlife being driven to extinction, just because of money...how niave and pathetic.

Steven mate i wasnt actually saying you was naive & pathetic ...what i ment was the world govenments that put economics before this enviromental nightmare, sorry i just re-read that post and thought id better word it abit better.

We could argue this back and forth all day but the truth is that the average person in Europe and the average person in the United States have no idea what's really going on anyways. Most people aren't willing to believe in anything other than a pleasantly simplistic world view, and so it's pointless to try to explain anything outside those preset parameters.

Just my two cents.

The US is not the only ones, Canada is also to blame. There are whole areas that are uninhabitable and our ozone layer is in really bad shape. It is true however that much of the pollution in Toronto comes from across Lake Ontario from the States. There are just so many people down there that controlling pollution would cost a lot of money.

...how niave and pathetic.

Call it whatever you will, those with the ability to control a situation are in control. When was the last time Europe listened to the USA when it was the right thing to do? BS European arrogance got us into two World Wars in the last 100 years, wasn't any suffering and devastation attached to that, now, was there? :rolleyes:

I'm European, and as far as I'm concerned, Europe has no right to tell anyone how to do anything until it sorts itself out.

Naive? There's nothing naive about US economic policy, mate, it's taking advatage of its strength while it still has it. Arrogant, yes, naive, no. Flooding? So what, the USA's in more of a position to survive that than anyone else. And if the US does listen, try convincing the Chinese. It'll be a lot garder.

It's ok, we forgive Europe for starting two world wars. Europe can be congratulated for some of its countries health care vastly surpasses that of Canada, which is really disgusting considering we used to be number one in health care and standard of living. It's all the Conservatives and business people and ideology at fault! We spent so much money on Quebec and look what it got us, no voice on the world stage and a crappy standard of living compared to SOME European countries. I know that in some countries like France there is a lot of poverty.

It's ok, we forgive Europe for starting two world wars.

It was only one country that was the catalyst for those wars...........dont you dare tar brush Europe like that!

It's all the Conservatives and business people and ideology at fault!

Well said, damn capitalists and their greed retarding scientific development!

I blame the French for Canada's downfall LMAO

It's ok' date=' we forgive Europe for starting two world wars.[/quote']

It was only one country that was the catalyst for those wars...........dont you dare tar brush Europe like that!

It's all the Conservatives and business people and ideology at fault!

Well said, damn capitalists and their greed retarding scientific development!

I blame the French for Canada's downfall LMAO

How are the damn capitalists retarding scientific development?

retarding? I suposse you mean regarding..

they care about scientific development as long as it benefits them. they cut money from beneficial researches if there is no money in it - I know that they cut money from children cancer drug becose this specific cancer is rare and there is no money in making this drug even if some children migth be saved by this drug. this drug is no longer in production becose of that.

so, here is capitalism for you in all his glory.

No I mean retarding........

Have you ever sat down and wondered why we arent in space yet?

Where do you actually think all the money for Scientific research has gone? The USA is no worse tha China in plowing all its money into arms and a huge defence budget.......while there is still an arms race in the world space exploration is on hold.

.........So the capitalists can have their oil and other resources.

sea level will rise by 70m when all the ice goes. this will occur quite soon and will trigger a rapid cooling event as the global circulation system in the oceans stops and glaciation occurs at high latitudes.

the uk will become a barren tundra with no heat or moisture transported from low latitudes by the gulf stream.

buy some mittens lads and lasses - your kids are gonna need em

WAHAHAHA

In order to respond to "Global Warming", we must first ascertain if it exists.

FACT: Earth, by it's very nature, tends to correct itself from time to time via climate changes. Often these changes are extreme.

It's not uncommon for the Earth to go through 20 years of excessive heat, then 20 years later, extreme cold.

This up & down or "see-saw" effect is not only normal, it's nessesary to the well-being of the planet.

Earth is inhabited by 6.5 billion humanoid lifeforms. They by no means make up a large percentage of the Earth's surface.......Water has that claim.

Therefore, in order for humanoid life to effect the type of changes being reported, each human would have to own & operate no less than 50 automobiles.

........Alternatively, a family of four would have to have a factory belching out black smoke on a daily basis.

Since the amount of available land-mass prohibits such an endevor, I am highly suspect when someone tells me the "sky is falling" and it's my fault.

In fact, cow flatulance produces more harmful gas in one day than an entire city population does........Do we ban cows?

:stare:

As for whether we should be concerned, I'd say yes. Earth is going through a "warm spell", and we need to act accordingly.

As for whether the USA is at fault, I'd bring up the fact that I had a catalytic converter on my car since the late 70's.......To the best of my knowledge, no European car had them until the 80's.

:)

Where do you actually think all the money for Scientific research has gone? The USA is no worse tha China in plowing all its money into arms and a huge defence budget.......while there is still an arms race in the world space exploration is on hold.

Huge defense budget? You've got to be kidding.......We're still flying outdated B52's, for crying out loud!

As for space, I couldn't agree more. If "Global Warming" was as big a concern as they let on, why haven't we packed up our factories & moved them to Mars?

......The factory smoke is actually beneficial to Mars, speeding up the process of terra-forming! Further, Mars is rich in raw materials, just waiting to be gathered. Even NASA admitted to seeing huge piles of what appeared to be diamonds at the base of a mountain.

:stare:

Earth is inhabited by 6.5 billion humanoid lifeforms. They by no means make up a large percentage of the Earth's surface.......Water has that claim.

Therefore, in order for humanoid life to effect the type of changes being reported, each human would have to own & operate no less than 50 automobiles.

........Alternatively, a family of four would have to have a factory belching out black smoke on a daily basis.

Well, you're first statement is kinda wrong, just becasue something doesn't make up a large percentage of the earth doens't mean it can't have an effect.

It has been proven that humans do have an effect on our atmosphere, we are obviously accelerating the natural greenhouse effect. If this is screwing up our climate is still not entirely known.

So really we don't know, you can't say it doesn't exist, but you also can't say we should no longer emit any greenhouse gasses because we're ruining the climate.

But better safe then sorry I would say.

Info:

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/climateuncertainties.html

Huge defense budget? You've got to be kidding.......We're still flying outdated B52's, for crying out loud!

We don't even have b52's..... we got like 55.000 people in our army.... That's what I call an cheap army...