why is the states so stuborn when it comes to climate control

Ulysses

Damn.... I hate it when people can back up their claims :) :p

But I didn't say anything about we causing the climate to change only that we're screwing up the atmosphere. Those links just say that the climate may or may not change because of us... I totally agree with that, we don't know if we are to blame.....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are wrong. No man can stand for election as President more than twice. However' date=' he could run as a Vice-Presidential Candidate. Read the 22nd Amendment.

Interesting. If I read it correctly, there is nothing in it that would prevent him from becoming president again for a third, fourth, or even tenth time, if he sets it up correctly...

Run for VP, then, when your P has won the race and has been sworn in, have him die. If the president dies, the VP automatically becomes President, without elections, and thus without the famous limitations. Do it two, three times, and use the time to press through an amendment that makes it legal for you to run for President again. After all, anyone opposing your wishes is a terrorist, right?

The US's biggest problem with the Kyoto accords is in fact money. It's not that the US fears losing industry money to Europe, but to China, India, Mexico and other nations just now coming into full industrialisation.

The US economy is based less and less on manufacturing and industry, but it's still mammoth, and cutting emissions will be expensive. But, hey, Europeans telling the US what to do is old news. We aren't listening.

Another thing that alway strikes me as odd is that everyone always talks only about CO2, while the Kyoto protocol and agreement cover much more. It's all kinds of greenhouse gasses, and there is one that is even more effective and in higher productoin than carbon dioxide. That's methane.

Cutting down on methane production would not even be that hard to do, as it can be used to produce (gasp!) fuel again, e.g. for cars...

Of course, that would make people more independent from oil and the oil companies, so we cannot have that either. B)

*grmblsmrf* Is there any way to have a subscript in MbCode? neither ... nor ... seem to work...

retarding? I suposse you mean regarding..No' date=' I did not. I meant retarding as in holding back[/color']

they care about scientific development as long as it benefits them. they cut money from beneficial researches if there is no money in it - I know that they cut money from children cancer drug becose this specific cancer is rare and there is no money in making this drug even if some children migth be saved by this drug. this drug is no longer in production becose of that.

so, here is capitalism for you in all his glory.

What did you do? There are various charities dedicated to cancer research which could use money to find cures for all cancers. Which have you donated to?

had a look at the first 2 refs you quoted and there appears to be a lot of "opinion".

intergovernmantal panel on climate change

will give much inf (tho i confess not to have looked at it for a while).

climate change data based on orbital forcing

much of the climate we experience is due to orbital forcing and the feedbacks it causes. i.e. albedo, ice advance melting etc

climate data centre - everything you could want

this url will provide access to data sets. the IPCC site is better for general info

the climate system works on a balance where it will fluctuate like a seesaw until it gets pushed to far to bounce back. climatologists are essentially worried that the emmissions from fossil fuels are pushing climate past the point no return.

the consequences of not doing this wont be any worse tahn what would occur naturally but it will simply happen sooner. if sea level rises by 70m the world doent have enough time to make wellies for 6.5Bn peeps

these sites provide facts.

you can plot the data to understand forcing variation and read blurb to understand more about EXACTLY what goes on.

the clathrate gun is an intersting theory and there should be data on the consequences of GW

have fun