Rip Richard Pryor

Guest Mrthumps

Sure......I know who he is.

I heard he had a few million to waste in one of his films.......lol Awesome film and very funny. I`ll always remember him for that one film.

Of course I've seen SIII.......he was the IT expert with the design for the super computer.......am I showing my age!?!

Its a shame he couldnt make an appearance in one of the new Superman films.

Guest Mrthumps

That would be "Brewster's Millions". I didn't list it because I doubt people aorund here would know of that movie given how old it is.

It was funny stuff and still holds up today.

One of the funniest things i ever saw him do was a Saturday Night Live sketch with Chevy Chase. It's pretty racy, but the premise is that Chevy is interviewing Pryor and asks him to do some word associations, Chevy starts using racial slurs and Pryors comebacks are hilarious. He will be missed.

During his TV show (which didn't last long) he portrayed a preacher who was having trouble raising money during a telethon targeting rich white folks. In order to increase the coffers he announced that any monies raised would be used to fund the BTAM (Back To Africa Movement). The phone lines lit up! It was one of his funniest sketches I've ever seen. :p

NOTE: I could have sworn I posted this yesterday. Did someone delete the post because they were offended???

Very weird...anyway...

In quotes, here is: Richard Pryor

ON RACISM AND RACE

I live in racist America and I'm uneducated, yet a lot of people love me and like what I do, and I can make a living from it. You can't do much better than that.

I went to Zimbabwe... I know how white people feel in America now, relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me!

I went through every phone book in Africa, and I didn't find one goddamned Pryor!

ON RELATIONSHIPS

Marriage is really tough because you have to deal with feelings... and lawyers.

I believe in the institution of marriage, and I intend to keep trying till I get it right.

ON MARK TWAIN

Asked what he felt about receiving an award named after the famous writer, Pryor said:

I didn't know him personally.

ON DRUGS

I couldn't stop. I put the pipe down. It jumped back in my hand.

ON HIS LIFE

I had some great things and I had some bad things. The best and the worst... In other words, I had a life.

You have to have lived some life. You've got to have paid some dues.

ON COMEDY

I'd like to make you laugh for about ten minutes. Though I'm gonna be on for an hour.

ON MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS

To be diagnosed was the hardest thing because I didn't know what they were talking about... And the doctor said, "Don't worry, in three months you'll know." So I went about my business and then, one day, it jumped me. I couldn't get up... Your muscles trick you; they did me.

During a stand-up routine in 1992, he asked:

Is there a doctor in the audience? No, I'm serious. I want to know if there's a doctor here.

After some nervous laughter from the audience, a hand finally went up. Pryor continued:

Doctor - I need to know one thing. What the [expletive] is MS?

c4 B)

As far as quotes go, one of the things he said during a comedy act has stuck itself in my head, and. "Be happy for any n***** doing anything."

Anyone ever see "See No Evil, Hear No Evil"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098282/

Man that was a good one. The first time I saw it, I was in stiches.

It's about a blind guy (Pryor) and a deaf guy (Wilder) who innocently get caught up in some evil plan kinda stuff beginning with a murder they happen to be present during. One of my favorite scenes is when Pryor's character (Wally) gets into a fight and Wilder's character (Dave) has to shout instructions at him because he can't see where to hit. :D

• 2 weeks later...