p!r@cy

drtim

I had a conversation earlier this week with a guy I know. We were discussing piracy specifically piracy of software. He was stuck on the idea that by cracking, copying and distributing games people engaged in piracy were making all software more expensive to all users. I wont go into trying to quantify his argument but many years ago I would have supported his 'No Piracy' call because I didnt want to see coders, developers etc done out of their royalties.

In recent years though, I have come to see piracy as a perhaps the only legitimate form of recourse available to most consumers to get their own back against software companies.

Case in point: who has ever bought a game, gotten it home, found out the damn thing wont work and emailed the developer for support. You read tha FAQ, unmount your virtual drives, reformat your hard drive, buy a new DVD drive and still the game doesn't work and you've still NOT had any satisfactory response from the company.

Could you imagine what would happen if you moved into a house that functioned as poorly as some software and you weren't able to seek redress? Imagine it, you walk up to the door of your new house insert the key and the door fails to open. So you call the builder who charges you $2:50 a minute to talk to you about the problem and rather than providing you with a solution you get the impression from the way he is speaking that he doesn't even know what a f*****g door is. He tells you to remove the roof and try getting in that way but that doesn't work and in the process of taking the roof off, your house suddenly collapses taking out your car, destroying your furniture and killing your dog. BUT, because you signed a waiver when he began his building work, you dont have any rights in this matter. If you'd read the damn contract at the beginning you would have seen the clause where he says "Dude, if this all turns to S***, I'll still have your money, and you'll have your memories". But, try kicking the door down and the builder is over at your house in a second dragging with him the police and issuing you with a habeus corpus writ for willful damage and break & enter

Im tired of these guys not realising that we are the ones who buy their damn software so we're the ones keeping their fat, white a**** in coke and cheap w****s. Im tired of the companies taking the money and basically telling us all to go to hell in a hand cart. Im tired of software companies releasing titles that aren't fully tested, that aren't functioning. And I am tired of paying $AU90+ for the pleasure of experiencing this crap.

On the other and, if a piece of free software fails to work and i can't get support, what have I lost? But when I pay for something and approach the distributor for backup and I am treated like a syphalitic p****, I think I can just about see myself forever more supporting the idea of ripping, copying and distributing every subsequent release that that company makes.

By the way, UBISOFT are a crap company, with crap software support. They wont answer the questions I posted to their support section, but it took them less than 20 minutes to boot my arse from their tech support forum when i posted ideas like this.

UBISOFTcock, kiss my ring hole!

I agree with myself on this one. What I dont understand is why my profile has somehow split into 2 and i can logon as me but be only 'drtim' and not "thedrtim"? What the hell is that about????

Oh but please reply to my original post because I would love to know what other people's experiences are.

I think I just like the whinge. ;)

I agree, Civilization four still doesn't work properly after 3 patches.... I really am sorry for the guys who bought this game. And well the quality of most games is really crap.... I often see pirated releases which work better than the original. I mean if pirated stuff is better than the original why in hell should I buy legal games.....

I only own some really good classics because those really deserve it, and aren't extremely expensive.

I admit NOTHING!!

I just like to use up the lack of bandwidth I have for the amount of goddamn money I pay. I ought to get something, instead of having an idle connection.

That's an excellent way of putting it.

UBISOFT are a crap company' date=' with crap software support. They wont answer the questions I posted to their support section, but it took them less than 20 minutes to boot my arse from their tech support forum when i posted ideas like this.[/quote']

I have to agree that UBISOFT are quite bad, which is a pity since some of their games are very good (eg. the Splinter Cell series). Their new copy protection just causes major headaches for the legitimate users :mad:. And their support does indeed suck. :(