The new improved DS9 ending

maverick

i have read a lot of debate in here regarding the ending of all 3 three series (not counting ENT cos it all happened too soon) and most people are disappointed.

comments have been made on the voyager ending, which i think was good, so now..........DS9.

whaddya all think?

I thought the DS9 ending was great the way it is - i wouldn't really change anything about it......EXCEPT....i didn't really like that episode Chimera - if we had a different story there that would make Season 7 perfect i think... :)

I thought the DS9 was probably one of the most well thought out endings of any series. I can tell some effort actually went into it unlike all the others.....including Voyager. It brought good closer to Cisco and Gul Du Cot. However I always wondered what Jake would of thought about losing his father?

I believe I've already stated my opinion.

It was a good conclusion but as an ending it was a bit of a lame duck.

It spent too long on schmaltzy flashbacks that made the episode dangerously close to being a compilation episode at the end. They could have gone out with a bang but it was more of a whimper. I feel it could have been a much better end if it hadn't been so full of sap.

The final episode had to show flash backs because unless your a Star Trek freak you probably couldnt remember season 1 because it was shown years previous. I think you've all been watching too many back to back DIVX episodes.

The final episode had to show flash backs because unless your a Star Trek freak you probably couldnt remember season 1 because it was shown years previous.

I dont get it; why exactly must we remember season 1 in the end episode - is that some sort of guideline or a must for a good ending?

Your reasoning is totally flawed chiggy - as I recall, 90% of the clips were from seasons 6-7 and there are far better ways to recount a moment than a flashback. You don't get authors going "Let's have a flashback, I'll just copy and paste." It was a cheap and cheerful way to get people feeling weepy and had nothing to do with developing an understanding of Sisko.

Even if there were season 1 flashbacks, what would they show? Sisko and the crew having their bodies/ the station taken over (that seemed to happen ever other episode).

Maybe instead of a s7, with the whole sisko/prophet thing (dont wanna spoil it for someone who hasnt seen it) but have s6 be the defeat of the dominion and Bajor accepting the "Prophets" as just another alien life form that may or may not have powers similar to the Q, but also recognizing they are not gods. This could clear up the whole dominion thing, wrap it up with the Cardassian rebellion, Odo leaving, and Sisko flying off into the sunset to make his home with Cassidy and Jake.

Here is what I come up with had Jadzia not been killed.

Should be noted that these are just a few ideas that I had that I jotted down on Word on the 9th March 2003 - thought I would just share - sorry for the formatting - and the length - if anyone is interested.

Deep Space Nine Season Seven (as we know it - and yes Tears of the Prophets is from season 6)

Tears of the Prophets

Image in the Sand

Shadows and Symbols

After Image

Take Me Out to the Holosuite

Chrysalis

Treachery, Faith, and the Great River

Once More unto the Breach

The Siege of AR-558

Covenant

Its Only a Paper Moon

Prodical Daughter

The Emperor’s Cloak

Field of Fire

Chimera

Badda-Bing Badda-Bang

Inter Arma Enim Silent Legas

Penumbra

Til Death Do us Part

Strange Bedfellows

The Changing Face of Evil

When it Rains

Tacking into the Wind

Extreme Measures

The Dogs of War

What You Leave Behind

Season Seven Episode Revision

Tears of the Prophets*

The Silent Storm

The Restoration

Treachery, Faith, and the Great River*

Death, Defiance, and the Great Link

The Siege of AR-558 Part One*

The Siege of AR-558 Part Two(need to extend this episode)

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures

Once More unto the Breach*

The Changing Face of Evil*

Where Does all the Honour Lie

Back into the Fold

Field of Fire*

Laying in Shadows

Inter Arma Enim Silent Legas*

Fallen Comrades Part One

Fallen Comrades Part Two

Entrapment

New Arrivals

The Long and Bitter Struggle

The Noble and the Just

When It Rains

The Fall of Grace

The Struggle for Salvation

Articles of War

What You Leave Behind*

*Existing Episodes that need to be altered or extended upon.

Tears of the Prophets

(Different ending, Jadzia does not die, but the wormhole is closed by Dukat. Jadzia is only wounded not killed although she does have to travel back to the Trill Homeworld for Major surgery on the Dax Symbiont, another Starfleet vessel in the area takes Jadzia, Bashir and Worf to the Trill homeworld)

The Silent Storm

(Negotiations begin between Breen and Dominion, as a direct result of the Bajoran Wormhole being closed by the possessed Gul Dukat, Jadzia having to undergo some kind of surgery, more on the Dax Symbiont rather then on Jadzia herself. Some reason need to come up with, possibly something like the neural link between host and symbiont is in danger of breaking down. Back at the station Sisko is getting grief from the Bajoran population because of the disappearance of the Wormhole, visit form Kai Winn to the station to offer her insights to the Emissary. Kira we learn has been promoted to Colonel, and is assuming more of a command presence in Ops, temporarily assuming command whilst Sisko has to deal with the problems of the closer of the wormhole. Meanwhile Worf is weary on Trill waiting for the news about the surgery on Jadzia. Bashir comes out of the theatre, minor scene between Worf and Bashir, along the lines of if she dies, you die. Kira meets with Winn to talk about what has happened with the wormhole. Winn blames Sisko for the closer of the wormhole, stating how can a none believer and an alien expect to understand the needs of the prophets and the Bajoran people. Kira also points out that Sisko met with the approval of Kai Opaka, and that it was because of Winn's intervention that the restoration did not take place. At the end of the episode learn that the Breen have agreed to be part of the Dominion, but not without certain conditions of their own)

The Restoration

(Deals with the Prophets and Pah Wraith's, conclusion to the events seen in the Reckoning)

Treachery, Faith and the Great River

(Almost the same episode, a few minor changes needed, at the Station however the Romulans establish a permanent presence on Deep Space Nine, in order to oversee the war against the Dominion. Helps quicken the pace between the different members of the Alliance when planning strategies.)

Death, Defiance and the Great Link

(Odo Episode after hearing the news, and the first insight into what has been happening in the Gamma Quadrant since the extermination of the Dominion forces in Fortune Favour the Bold. We learn that the Great Link is dying, that the Dominions hold on the Gamma Quadrant is not quite as stable as it once was, although it still exists, the Dominion has been weakened since the intervention of the Prophets.

Several Key Dominion systems are in revolt, although the Founders are managing to breed more Jem Hadar troops, and build more and more ships, and a hint of a battle against an unknown force is described. Meanwhile whilst all this is happening we continue to shift between Odo's thoughts about what is happening and what his life has been like since he knew his people were the Founders of the Dominion, and after the events that the Dominion have taken so far. Just how far will they go?)

The Siege of AR-558 Part One

(Same episode almost, made longer, and only appearance of Vic's other then possibly being in the Finale, like the idea of sending in holographic troops to fool the enemy, may try to extend that scene a little more, need to watch the episode in greater detail to fully comment on the changes that need to be made)

The Siege of AR-558 Part Two

(Same episode almost, made longer, need more focus on actual trench warfare and also more fighting, actual reconnaissance missions, other then the one involving Nog which results in him getting his leg blown off)

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures

(Right from the moment go we see a vast Breen fleet attack Federation vessels, heading straight for Earth itself. News has spread through out the whole Federation, and any Federation Starship that is not currently serving at the front lines has been ordered to defend Earth. The reports are coming in at Deep Space Nine, and all Sisko can do is watch the horror as Federation vessel after Federation vessel is destroyed. We see in this instance actual crews of other starships here, trying in vein to protect Earth and Federation space itself, in a hopeless battle that they know that they can not win. Starfleet has been caught off guard and their forces have been spread to thin. We see Federation ship after Federation ship destroyed, along with a few Breen loses. However the Breen are hell bent on making it to Earth, passing several other installations in order to accomplish their mission.

Down on Earth the streets are filled with chaos as the first of the Breen ships begin to unleash its bombardment. The shear number of Breen vessels that have been used on this mission must at least go into the thousands. However Earth is not completely defenceless, and its orbiting defence platforms and planetary defences begin to fire back. Although events seem clear, that the Breen will loose almost the entire fleet to the Federation defences and Starships that are now entering the system, the attack presses on. Breen vessel after Breen vessel continue to penetrate the atmosphere, and fire at key Starfleet installations, mainly focussing on San Francisco, and the areas surrounding it. Sisko and the crew can only watch the horror as they see their homeland invaded and destroyed. Back at the attack Starfleet has begun to assemble a bigger fleet, and the remaining Breen vessels are ordered out of the system. But just before they depart several cruisers begin an assault on the Golden Gate Bridge, one damaged Breen vessel crashing straight into it. The remaining fleet tries to escape the sector, some destroyed by the orbiting defence platforms, and others by the fleet now amassed around Earth. Very few Breen ships make it out and back into their own space. Back on the Planet fires rage across San Francisco and other areas.

Back on the Station, the majority of Starfleet personnel are trying to communicate back to Earth, everyone having or at least knowing someone back home. Sisko sits in his office with General Martok.

Martok saying that today we have learned that the Breen are a race of Warriors. Not even my people at the height of the Empire attempted such an attack.

On Cardassia, the news of the success of the Breen attack puts more then a smile on the face of the Vorta, and the Founder is most pleased with the success. Only Damar points out that it's a shame that so few of the Breen vessels involved in the attack made it back home. Thort Gor says something in his usual shrilled voice, and the Founder agrees that the sacrifices made by the Breen had not gone in vein and that the success of the mission was of Key importance here. She also makes a comment that the Breen have been able to do far more than the Cardassian's ever accomplished in the past Two years.

Damar also learns through his sources that key Cardassian territory is to be handed over to the Breen. This is the last straw and Damar decides right there that something needs to be done about the Dominion. (Witness the Birth of the Cardassian resistance)

Once More unto the Breach

(Klingon raise the attacks after Federation caught off guard, the destruction of Vorta Cloning facility by the Resistance, at a high price, almost exactly the same episode)

The Changing Face of Evil

(Death of the Defiant at Chin Toka, but without the Pah Wraith stuff, a direct attack after the events seen in Once More unto the Breach, literally takes place days after the initial Breen attack on Earth)

Where Does all the Honour Lie

(Worf is lost in the Escape Pod, Jadzia goes to search for him and Odo is found to be infected with the same Founder Disease. Introduction of more active presence of the Son'a, (also need something relatively big that the Son'a are developing to make them targets for the Romulans) and with the loss on recent attacks made by the Cardassian Resistance, help is obviously needed. Hence Starfleet begin to support the Cardassian uprising, and also asks for the help of Colonel Kira.)

Back into the Fold

(Worf and Jadzia have been found by the Son'a, but what are their intentions? And Kira is initially greeted with fear and hostility, but proves her worth in a daring mission, assisted by an infected Odo. Worf and Jadzia are rescued in the end by Klingon ships that patrol the borders of Federation space against the new Breen weapon.)

Field of Fire

(Initially I thought about keeping this the same episode, however, instead of Starfleet Officers being killed, how about killing the Romulans that have established a presence on the station, obviously not with the same motive, however, could still use the Vulcan guy, and for similar reasons. Kira is thought to be killed, betrayed by the Cardassian that she does not get along with. Odo goes in search for her.)

Laying in Shadows

(Something with Section 31,and possibly involvement with the Cardassian Resistance, or a direct plot development with the upcoming episode, a way to show more of a continuing story line without the need of a multi-part episode? Or as a side not more something to do with the Cardassian Resistance and Kira, perhaps with Kira capturing the Breen Weapon? Must hear about the loss of several Romulan vessels in recent attacks, and their displeasure at the Klingons in-efficiency to protect their ships.)

Inter Arma Enim Silent Legas

(The Section 31 episode involving the Romulans and also mentioning perhaps something that happened the episode before hand.)

Fallen Comrades Part One

(Romulan Episode, very much needed. The Romulan Fleet is suffering badly in recent attacks. With the acquisition of the Breen Weapon the Romulans decide that a victory is very much needed. The crew of DS9 temporally take command of a vessel, and the combined fleet attack the Son'a. See a couple of new Romulan vessels here I think)

Fallen Comrades Part Two

(Having severely dealt a blow to the Son'a (Still deal with this for half the episode), the Dominion act in kind. They immediately despatch Dominion and Breen forces to attack the Romulan vessels. This tests the new counter weapon to the Breens Energy Dampening weapon. From witnessing the uselessness of the Breen Energy Dampening weapon in Combat, the Dominion and Breen forces have only one choice, the retreat and preserve their remaining forces.)

Entrapment

(Last encounter with section 31. Odo is cured from this point on, need something a little better then the actual episode dealing with this. Perhaps dealing with Odo's and Kira's continued relationship, and perhaps just taking a step back from the events that are happening in the quadrant, but not a major step back like nothing is happening. Perhaps include Charlie Reynolds coming to the station, as last heard in A Time to Stand, and Rocks and Shoals.

New Arrivals

(A New Defiant Class Warship is delivered to the Station, and is commissioned U.S.S. Defiant, NCC-74205-A, and with the success of the Romulan attack, the Anti dampening device is installed on all Federation, and Romulan vessels. Meanwhile a Cardassian Gul dupes the Cardassian resistance forces. Upon beaming down to a Cardassian moon to rendezvous with defecting Cardassian personal, they witness the death of hundreds of men at the hands of the Dominion and this new Cardassian Traitor.)

The Long and Bitter Struggle

(Having been dealt a serious blow at the hands of the Dominion, the Cardassian Resistance has no choice but to lay in hiding, keeping a low profile. To make things worse, because of the recent betrayal of the Cardassian, now Legate of the Cardassian Union, the Dominion takes their time to eliminate all the Cardassian Resistance bases one by one, and Kira and co are unable to prevent them.)

The Noble and the Just

(The Cardassian resistance are now taking a more active role down on Cardassia Prime, enlisting the help of the populace of Cardassia to fight against the combined Breen, Son'a and Dominion force's. The Resistance is now a Revolution.)

When It Rains

(Damar's effort on Cardassian Prime are not in Vein, he has won the support of virtually all the Civilian Population, Dominion facilities and stations are currently destroyed, under attack or waiting to be attacked. The Dominion Central Command facility located in the Capital is being heavily fortified. Located in the Capital means it is one of the most difficult facilities to strike at. Jem Hadar Soldiers are taking a more aggressive stand against the Cardassian revolt, just adding more people to side with the Revolution.

The Federation/Klingon/Romulan fleets begin to strike out at Key territories that surround the area of Space between DS9, Bajor and the outer boundaries of Federation Space. The occupying Dominion Forces abandon Key Federation planets lost to the Dominion a year earlier. )

The Fall of Grace

(Aware that any offensive against the Dominion will be planned and launched from Deep Space Nine, the Dominion stage one final assault against the Federation, Romulans and the Klingons, preparations are begun to launch the initiative. In the meantime measures are being taken to stop the revolt against the uprising Cardassian people, measures such as the extermination of several thousand Cardassians as a consequence of the continued act of aggression.)

The Struggle for Salvation

(Attack on Deep Space Nine by Dominion, Cardassian, Breen and Son'a Forces. The Cardassian Forces switch sides here, more of a visual feast rather then actual plot lines as such, but get to see one hell of a space battle between the Federation/Romulan/Klingon forces against the Dominion/Cardassian/Breen and Son'a forces)

Articles of War

(With the Final betrayal of the Cardassian forces against the Dominion, the Founder decided to enact their revenge, wiping out the entire Cardassian race from the Alpha Quadrant, not only on Cardassia Prime. All Dominion vessels begin to attack Cardassian facilities, also ordering the help of the Breen and the Son’a. With this news the Federation, Klingons and Romulans decide that the time to end the war with the Dominion is at hand, not to mention the survival of the Cardassian race is a stake.)

What You Leave Behind

Attack on Cardassia Prime itself.

I too happened to enjoy DS9's "ending" as it was. Honestly, considering all the resistance from Para-Borg about the serialized nature of the final arc, I'm glad that were able to do as much as they did. And I for one LOVED the montage at the end. Very moving, and one of my favorite pieces of ST music.

Of course, if you're an avid reader like myself, you already know about the stellar DS9 "post-series" set of books. :)

PS: re, Chimera - LOVED IT. Odo/Kira was probably the best Trek romance ever done. Sure, the lead up took about 8 billion years, but when they finally pulled the trigger, it was very well done.

It seemed to me that on the whole up to about 3/4 of S7 things were plausible.

Sometimes only just! (That is allow telepathic commumication by the prophets)

BUT the ending was not science fiction or future prediction as Gene envisaged it.

It was unadulterated FANTASY. My personal opinion is that GR would have blocked

it in favour of a more consistent and believable ending.

So a God like being known as Q is more plausible then the egg timer Prophets, or a race of cybernetic humanoids getting distroyed becuase of their vortex being blown up?

Cant really say that Fantasy is not in the Star Trek world.

Technically GR has never penned or overseen an ending for any of his series.

TOS was cancelled and never had an ending as such

He died before Season 7 of TNG so never saw that either.

So a God like being known as Q is more plausible then the egg timer Prophets, or a race of cybernetic humanoids getting distroyed becuase of their vortex being blown up?

Cant really say that Fantasy is not in the Star Trek world.

Technically GR has never penned or overseen an ending for any of his series.

TOS was cancelled and never had an ending as such

He died before Season 7 of TNG so never saw that either.

If anything I think Gene would have been very pleased with the ending to TNG. It didn't have the concepts of war or death such as DS9 and Voyager did at their endings. And it ended just like it began: Q placing Picard and humanity at the mercy of the Continum. Just like Gene started it with. I liked that.