Highlander

MrDad

Why can there only be one? I've never really understood why.

After an Immortal is vanquished and beheaded, the victor absorbs some sort of energy from the body. What is the nature of this energy? There are apparently no degrees of immortality, they appear no stronger than regular humans nor do they appear to gain new abilities as a result.

All Immortals are engaged in an ongoing struggle they call the Game. The ultimate goal is to kill all other Immortals - taking their Quickening - until only one Immortal remains. This Immortal will then receive the Prize: the 'power', knowledge and experiences of all other Immortals who have ever lived. This is the source of the phrase "There can be only one". The only firm rule in the Game is that there can be no fighting on holy ground, which is land consecrated for religious purposes. (At one point, it is said that this rule was broken once - on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius. The implication is that the destruction of Pompeii was due to this rule being broken, suggesting that a Higher Power enforces the rules.) Immortals generally duel one-on-one and with edged weapons, although unlike the holy ground stricture, these are conventions rather than firm rules. (The one-on-one rule is largely due to the fact that an Immortal who has taken a Quickening becomes unable to defend himself while he absorbs the Quickening.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highlander:_The_Series

I know that much. Why must they play the Game? Has there ever been any explanation of how all of it came to pass or does no one really know? Perhaps I just ask too many questions?

Have you seen the first two movies?

The second one goes on a tangent but was an interesting concept for the origins of the immortals.

The first one explains pretty thoroughly what the game is all about. It is a search for power that the good play only to keep it out of the hands of the evil. In the end, when connor Mcleod wins the final title he enters a state of all knowing, all seeing. Maybe he doesn't wholey accept the prize or maybe that is the extent of the prize. However, seeing all, at any time in history, is a pretty powerful weapon if used properly and in the wrong hands.

If you have seen the movies and want more than this, well, I think you'll have to write it yourself. ;)

P.S. No one has to play the game its just that if you don't you aren't learning how to defend yourself and are easy pickins for those that do.

The highlander series should have evolved away from swords in my opinion. Guns would be used to incapacitate and a smaller blade to deal the final blow (or strategically placed exploding bullets :-) ) They may have used this a bit in the series but can't honestly remember.

The thing that ruined the idea of the 'The Game' and 'There can be only one' was when in the series and Highlander Endgame, we saw that new immortals (Richie for example) were being born all of the time. How could they fight down to the last when that was going on?

I think the series was quite inventive at times - the idea of the Watchers, ambigious immortals like Methos and Amanda etc (I absolutely loved the small story Arc of Methos and his dying girlfriend), daemons ansd suoernatural forces etc. But that one single idea made the whole concept lose credibility.

The thing that ruined the idea of the 'The Game' and 'There can be only one' was when in the series and Highlander Endgame, we saw that new immortals (Richie for example) were being born all of the time. How could they fight down to the last when that was going on?

I think the series was quite inventive at times - the idea of the Watchers, ambigious immortals like Methos and Amanda etc (I absolutely loved the small story Arc of Methos and his dying girlfriend), daemons ansd suoernatural forces etc. But that one single idea made the whole concept lose credibility.

If I recall correctly, the real canon/backstory pretty much ignores the second movie. While it can be argued if it was a good movie or not, the entire concept of the alien background really threw a wrench in the works in terms of how it worked.

Basically the Game works somewhat parallel alongside destiny. Immortals could not have children, think of them are sterile, for all time. The only time an Immortal could have children, is if he "won" the game, aka being the last one, in which case he'd begin to grow old as a normal person and could then have children. (You see this in the second movie, BUT since there are never any "only one"'s in the rest of the series/movies the Game continues).

Since the Game works somewhat parallel with destiny, we can assume that whatever is considered a "soul" in the Highlander universe is predetermined before the birth of the human body. Maybe they live previous lives, maybe they are just a form of energy, who knows (lore never specified). With that in mind, it could be possible for the soul to be determined immortal at some point long before the person ever dies the "first" time. Other wise as you say, the Game is "never" ending cause quite literally the only One would have to kill every other immortal there is AND any new ones that spring up while he's doing so.

Now, as said alot of it is assumption since there's not alot of 100% true written lore and the second movie kinda drives some of it out of the park and other bits just off the wall. However, you have to take into account the other movies and episodes of the show. I can't remember the asian guys name but the one who had the power to morph that was killed by the character played by Mario Van Peebles. Surely in a world where people are immortal (minus decapitation), and ancient asian sorcerers have mastered abilities such as teleportation, morphing and other abilities, it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to assume the Game works along side something simiilar or equal to a destiny or fate.

The real question is, who wins? At the end of the last movie, Duncan killed Connor to power up enough to kill the evil guy (I suck at remembering names. I know faces but not names). When last checked by Duncan's ex Watcher buddy, there were still several hundred (300+ if I recall) immortals across the globe, that the Watchers knew of (probably more).

I guess the movie was a passing of the torch from Connor to Duncan, but what about Duncan now? Do we just assume he's going to swash buckle his way through the last few hundred of them?

And they never explained the Quickening enough. I know you gain the persons knowledge (and the knowledge of all the people they killed) but you supposedly gain their "power" right? Assuming we equate "strength" to power, shouldn't Duncan be really frakking strong at the end of the last movie? When you add his kill count, with Connors AND the bad kill he offs, he should be able to pick up buses with one hand ;p

It maybe explained better soon apparently there is a trilogy in the works starring Duncan - it's title at the moment is known as 'The Source'

Nice. There any sites that have information on this? I'd like to bookmark something so I'll remember whenever it comes out, I have a habit of forgetting things and I doubt it'll be advertised much.

Theater movies or like, straight to dvd? Either or will work, long as it's new Highlander material I'm happy ;)

The anser sort of varies a bit depending on what version of Highlander you are going by: The Original Film and TV series are sort of "alternate" versions. Highlnader 2, 3 and 4 all just complicate and condradict each other and everything else. But...

If you go with Gregory Widen's orgianl story, the reason why "there can be only one" was that when only a few immortal remained the "Time of the Gathering " would occur. The remaining immortals would feel an irrestiable urge to travel to a faraway land to battle to the last for "the Prize". This makes the fighting until only one remained something of forced happening (or as other have mentioned pre-detined, or fated).

That being said, there seems to be some "flexiblity" involved with "battle to the last" . In parts of the scrip that didn't make it to the final film, there is a scence where an immortal has lost the will to fight/live and just gives up to the Kurgan, and another scene where Kastigar tries to talk Conner into an alliance to kill off the Kurgan. The latter is very interesting as Kastigar even states that with the Kurgan out of the way, the final fight could be put off until some indefinate time.

Now, as every immortal other than Connor gets killed off by the end of the first Higherlander film, every sequel has had t condradict this is some way or other.

That being said, there seems to be some "flexiblity" involved with "battle to the last" . In parts of the scrip that didn't make it to the final film, there is a scence where an immortal has lost the will to fight/live and just gives up to the Kurgan, and another scene where Kastigar tries to talk Conner into an alliance to kill off the Kurgan. The latter is very interesting as Kastigar even states that with the Kurgan out of the way, the final fight could be put off until some indefinate time.

Now, as every immortal other than Connor gets killed off by the end of the first Higherlander film, every sequel has had t condradict this is some way or other.

There was always some kind of flexibility to it. I can't remember his name but he was one of Duncan's best friends in the series. He was the immortal priest who lived on holy ground 24/7 thus no other immortal dared breaking The Rules to kill him. And he himself never took up violence. Sadly his life was ended when some rogue Watchers decided to eliminate him regardless of the fact he was docile and non-violent. (I suck at names, remembering them and such, forgive me).

Plus if you do take into account some of the movie's canon they try to establish (not counting Highlander 2 and it's alien crap) we can assume that out of all the Watchers in the world, much like in Endgame (I believe it was Endgame) at least one Watcher or small group of Watchers will attempt to keep at least one or more Immortals in that vegetative state. Alive but hidden and non active. Thus keeping The Game ongoing. Even if The Gathering happened, I doubt an unconcious drugged Immortal would be able to fight off some of the strongest sediative medications known to man, awaken, and fight off his captors to go fight in some place.

I am curious, since some of the real backstory lore is scattered, assuming The Gathering took place, would they still observe the Rules? The dude in Endgame didn't, nor did his lackies as they killed and fought on holy ground. So would the Gathering have effect on say, the 1 vs 1 rule? Would they just all go at it in some kind of big rumble? If they did go 1 vs 1, do you think they'd give the winner of each fight time to recoup? The Quickening takes alot out of them when they absorb the knowledge and power of those just killed. I know it won't be like 20 or 30 of them left at that point but I figure like if there are 10 left in the world they'd be summoned.

Btw, I don't recall Connor dying in the first film. If I recall, he kills on Immortal or at least fights one, in a parking garage. Thus involving the police which kinda hinders his movements and stuff. I remember the big climatic battle cause he kills the dude but his head stays on his neck a few seconds then falls off. Connor does not die, as in real death not just immortal die-a-few-minutes death, until the last film in which case Duncan kills him. He's old as dust in the second movie, prompting him to regain his youth and bring back his old buddy and the third one has him fighting the ancient guy buryed in the ice cave (like I said I really, suck, at names).

May,

I didn't write that Connor died in the first film. I typed that every immortal OTHER than Connor gets killed off in the first film.

In the film, the "Gathering" is the final battle amosnt the immortals to determine who will win the "Prize". As far as the film went the "Gathering" occured in 1985, Connor was the last immortal and won the "Prize". No more immortals fighting each other, end of story. That didn't leave much room for sequels, so the producers changed various parts of the story, serveral different times, in order to make a few more films and a couple of TV series.

In the TV series, the "Gathering" starts in 1985, but is still going on. Connor's fight against the Kurgan is just one of many battles that occuring during the "TIme of the Gathering". Basically, it is a alternave version of the story. If you look carefully, the rules for imortals are different between the film and the series. In the film immortal don't die unless beheaded. In the series they do die, but recover. For example, in the movie, Connor can't drown, but in the series, Duncan and Amada are drowned but "get better".

BTW, the immortal Priest's name was Darius. He was supposed to be a major supporting character in the series, but the actor who portrayed the character passed away. I think most of his backstory was reworked into the Methos character.

it was a shame about the actor who played Darius, but i thought the charather of Methos was much better played and had more of an edge to him. I loved the episode in season 4 where Amanda fights him because she thinks he is trying to steal her crystal to save his girlfriend. One of the best episodes imho

Did anyone see the Raven - ialways wanted to see that series but it never came on over here and then it got cancelled.

I saw a few episodes of it and didn't like it-althought I really wanted to. I really liked the character of Amada, but her personality was a bit different in the Raven series. Apparently the series wasn't supposed to be about Amanda, but a different female immortal. When Adrian Paul decided to quit the Highlander TV series, Elizabeth Gracen was suddenly available and Raven got reworked as an Amada series. A nice idea, except in many cases they altered Amanda to fit the Raven concept rather than altering the plots of the Raven stories to account for Amanda. Amanda went from a con artist sneak thief to a female Duncan McCleod.

Did anyone see the Raven - ialways wanted to see that series but it never came on over here and then it got cancelled.

I saw a few episodes of it and didn't like it-althought I really wanted to. I really liked the character of Amada, but her personality was a bit different in the Raven series. Apparently the series wasn't supposed to be about Amanda, but a different female immortal. When Adrian Paul decided to quit the Highlander TV series, Elizabeth Gracen was suddenly available and Raven got reworked as an Amada series. A nice idea, except in many cases they altered Amanda to fit the Raven concept rather than altering the plots of the Raven stories to account for Amanda. Amanda went from a con artist sneak thief to a female Duncan McCleod.

I've seen quite a few of these and although what you say is true in some of them, she is more reconizably Amanda especially as the season went on. The final episode rocks by the way...what a cliffhanger to leave after the cancellation.

It maybe explained better soon apparently there is a trilogy in the works starring Duncan - it's title at the moment is known as 'The Source'

Nice. There any sites that have information on this? I'd like to bookmark something so I'll remember whenever it comes out, I have a habit of forgetting things and I doubt it'll be advertised much.

Theater movies or like, straight to dvd? Either or will work, long as it's new Highlander material I'm happy ;)

These are theatrical movies... the first was filming in Europe near the end of 2005 for a release later this year.

The anser sort of varies a bit depending on what version of Highlander you are going by: The Original Film and TV series are sort of "alternate" versions. Highlnader 2' date=' 3 and 4 all just complicate and condradict each other and everything else. But...[/quote']

Not to mention which version of Highlander 2 you go buy. The theatrical one where they are aliens from the planet Zeist or the Director's cut where they are exiles from an ancient civilization here on Earth (Immortality is something the already had wereas in the theatrical it is something they aquire on Earth like Superman's powers.)

The producers pretty much explain all the inconsistancies away by saying that they are parrallel universes where some events and people are the same or similar but not all.

Oh, just to muddy the waters more, no one has mentioned the animated series where the good immortals just voluntarily give away their quickining without losing their heads so that Quentin MacLeod can gain the power to defeat the evil Immortal Kortan who has enslaved the Earth.

PS there is also an Anime version of Highlander in Development (with yet another MacLeod) for release in the near future.

[quote=Potato

I've seen quite a few of these and although what you say is true in some of them, she is more reconizably Amanda especially as the season went on. The final episode rocks by the way...what a cliffhanger to leave after the cancellation.

Well, as I stopped watching the show about 5 or 6 episodes into it, I probably dropped out of it before they "Amada-ized" the series.