good scifi show that got canceld

eddie4

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Visionaries! That was HIGHlarious.

Farscape could probably have done with some more airtime...

Angel got kicked when it had redeemed itself from a 2 season slump...

Firefly isn't quite the most amazing thing ever that some fanboys blab about but it beat the pants off the last decade of Trek.

Dark Skies - I personally think that show had quite a lot of potential but I suppose it wasn't exactly novel... It gave Jeri Ryan her break though.

People should try and remember though that "only the good die young". If a show dies in its infancy, it's easy to think of what could have been and assume it would all have been of similarly good quality. One need only look at Smallville though, to see that shows can fall from grace.

But an 8th season of TNG? I'm not sure you know what you're asking for. I honestly don't think that TNG could have gone out on a higher note, season 7 was great and I'm pretty sure that anything that followed would probably have only been inferior. You've got to know when to draw the line, 7 years is a long time.

I mean, maybe there should be a sister thread - Good sci-fi that SHOULD have been cancelled. I'd nominate SG-1 for that. It was in a downward spiral since Daniel left the first time and Anderson started to look increasingly bored with each passing season, despite his ever diminishing screentime.

Season 9 had pretty much everything wrapped up though. Evil vanquished, Sam and Jack etc. It screamed "and they lived happily ever after." but no, now we have to have a new enemy to conquer, while also trying to develop an entirely new lead character. Bah.

Speaking of Sliders:

After John Rhys-Davies (Prof. Maximilian P. Arturo [1995-1997]) left the show (I believe he left because he considered the scripts to be too childish) it began to go downhill. Then Sabrina Lloyd (Wade Welles [1995-1997]) went poof. What really killed it (at least for myself) was when Jerry O'Connell (Quinn Mallory [1995-1999]) left. :(

That left Cleavant Derricks (Rembrandt "Crying Man" Brown) as the only original player (he was my fav).

Sliders slide right into the vortex (so to speak)...

c4 B)

wait, O'Connell left the show? Like I said I never saw season 5 cause it's a pretty rare thing to find online. So I just assume other than Remmy it was Maggie and Colin? Ugh.

i knew the show was going downhill not cause Arturo's actor was leaving but the stupid frakking way they killed him. A brain stem serum addicted changling guy attacks him leaving him basically a blathering idiot but the last rational thought he has is to jump infront of a bullet that saves Quinn? Come on..Arturo deserved better than that, much better.

Ugh, thanks for the heads up though now I don't really wanna bother with season 5. I at least hoped they'd bring Wade back, since ya know Quinn was still hoping to find her, but with him gone it's pointless. I loved Remmy like the rest but he's not the same without Quinn Wade and Arturo.

Shjt! Sorry for the spoiler Mav.

Hehe...

Ya know sliders got Really Bad when Jerry O'Connell started producing and directing a lot of the episodes,

and inviting his brother along to star in the series with him........

----------------------------------------------

Did anyone mention Star Trek: TNG...

... it supposedly got axed so they could rush out the more lucrative Films.

Yeah...I was wondering why his real life brother show up on the show. Now I know. Being the brother of a star has its perks!

Never heard that about TNG...but it makes sense for sure.

c4 B)

SNIPPETS:

Sliders slide right into the vortex (so to speak)...

c4 B)

Like I said I never saw season 5 cause it's a pretty rare thing to find online.

Well, here's the torrent link from IsoHunt for season 5.

c4 B)

w00t thanks. it's gonna be sad to see Quinn leave but hey' date=' least I'll see what else happens to the gang.[/quote']

You might not want too. Some of the EPs are quite dopey (don't forget that "needle in the neck" guy).

Personally...I think Remmy should have snatched the "timer" and asked for his own show :p

c4 B)

More an example of a show that lost its focus. When season 3 became the movie remake of the week Sliders was dead. Season 4 was an admirable effort and although better than the previous season it still was not great and season 5 wasn't even as good as season 3.

Space: Above and Beyond is number one on my list. Its got big guns, big action, good looking women, men for the ladies :-), kick ass plot, every episode is different and its written by some of the biggest Sc-Fi talents in the world.

Frankly I am glad Angel got cancelled...........whats a poser...........he deserved it! That was a show trying too hard to be be cool. Frankly the plot for most Buffy episodes was identical.......monster kills someone............buffy fights monster.......buffy goes to library........buffy kills monster. That kind of crap didnt derserve all those seasons. The martial arts was pathetic!

.........Frankly I am glad Angel got cancelled...........whats a poser...........he deserved it! That was a show trying too hard to be be cool. Frankly the plot for most Buffy episodes was identical.......monster kills someone............buffy fights monster.......buffy goes to library........buffy kills monster. That kind of crap didnt derserve all those seasons. The martial arts was pathetic!

Steve.

I agree up to a point with you (although I quite liked Angel) however the 5th (final) series changed format quite drastically and I thought that it had potential if done properly.

Buffy went on too long... Angel felt like it missed a trick... I suppose it's a bit like ENT, they got it right and then got cancelled.

I think Space: Above and Beyond had potential... and it was interesting but it wasn't amazing. The whole concept of a crew of people that basically did everything from handing out lollypops to being top guns to being commandos was stretching it a bit for me though...

Still, it was original and it gets kudos for that.

I think I've said this about North American networks before, but it seems to be a law that only crappy shows make it past the first season. If a show is at all interesting, they stick it into horrible time slots or kill it outright after the first season. (Fox is THE biggest offender in this respect...)

SAAB did have some flaws but not as many as other shows mentioned here. In the day it was like watching a film not some under budget saturday night sc-fii show. I dont mean to be pedantic but in WW2 the USMC did have a branch of pilots, although they were mainly ground pounders. With all the references to WW2 history I think the script writers wanted to take this on board to create more twists in the plot. Remember the 58th are an elite unit.........just as men in modern special forces can fly helicopters yet still operate behind ememy lines on foot. At least no one can criticise SAAB for having a standard plot theme in every episode like Buffy.

I liked Firefly but that was over hyped......I think the real reason why is got cancelled is because people ran out of ideas of where to take it.

Sliders is another overated show............when I first saw it I thought it was a lot like Quantum Leap re-invented with Star Trek like mirror universes.

Now one Sc-Fi series I did like was the Outer Limits (1995). Even as a teenager I thought some of these episodes were very frightening........notice how they never ended on a good note........great stuff.

http://www.theouterlimits.com/

Steve.

I'm aware that there are combined arm units but a bunch of teens basically doing it all was a bit much for me is all, although I realise that it's hardly uncommon in network TV. In Alias, I've yet to see a task that Jennifer Garner can't master within about 3 seconds but yes - I don't think one could say that it was generic. That's probably what condemned it.

Firefly got cancelled because it had poor ratings and wasn't renewed. Which was because the episodes were shown out of sequence and were bounced around the schedule, apparently. I hardly think Whedon would make a film if he'd run out of ideas.

At the risk of repeating myself - Sliders was a show with unlimited potential that in my limited experience went to world's pretty much like Earth where they made places more like America. A bit of a waste, really.

I think I've said this about North American networks before' date=' but it seems to be a law that only crappy shows make it past the first season. If a show is at all interesting, they stick it into horrible time slots or kill it outright after the first season. (Fox is THE biggest offender in this respect...)[/quote']

In the US this is due to the haphazard way that they calculate ratings. A Family is picked at random and all their equipment is wired to a computer that keeps track of what this one family watches (as long as they remember to hit the button every 10 mins or so) and they say that that family represents thousands of families around the country. So the ratings are basically a joke. It's a case of the few deciding what the many watch.