Scariest Sci-Fi Ever?

Tenebrae

I was just a wondering...

Sci-fi and horror do often walk hand in hand but just what is the scariest or most atmospheric science fiction type horror of them all and no, this is not the bland "if there is a snake larger that 3 feet long IT IS SCI-FI". Stuff that is in your opinion science-fiction and has a horror element.

It can be of any description - TV, film, book, comic, short story, play etc.

I'll make it a little harder by eliminating:

Alien.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Event Horizon was another one. Some people seem to write it off but it had Sam Neill in and he's ACE.

It went a bit nuts at the end but before that they really managed to get some good tension - and it's Morpheus pre-flub!

Definitely had its creepy moments.

I'd have thought the obvious other choice was Star Trek: First Contact - it wasn't very consistent but it did manage some good periods of tension.

yes, first I thouhgt about Event Horizon and then realized that without Alien (first movie) I have to think really hard to pull up some sci-fi horror into memory.

here are my 2 favorites:

- Cube, Natali 1997, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/

- The Thing, Carpenter 1982, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084787/

I highly recommend both of them, one of the best in sci-fi horror genre imho.

oh yeah dudes i so forgot about the thing!!!!!!!!

thats the thing about the thing,,, you watch it & then you forget about it.... & when you watch it again (after a while), you only rem some bits, not enough to make it boring....

btw the best scene when theyre testing the blood and it comes to the last two.......

it is one of my fav movie I guess it didn't really see it as a horro though it ws suppose to be!!! :)

Well plenty of sci fi movies have had some thrills in them. I think the harder part to nail is scariest sci fi tv show.

I'd say it's a tie between X-Files and Millenium.

Yea I found X-Files scary, mainly cause most of the "creepy" episodes were ones that were really phobic ones for me. Like some of the cheesey alien effects, I've never liked the whole "bug eyed" aliens cool, they give me the freaky shiver-down-the-spine spooks. Even Thor from SG-1 kinda spooks me out some from time to time.

Millenium, cause well, I was young. I got into X-files when I was real young, like 14 maybe 15. Loved it, other than TNG it was one of my first real sci fi shows. So Millienium was made by the same guy who did X-Files (I forget his name), and it was highly recommended to me by some fellow fans. Most of the stories were a tad, dark, for a 14 year old kid to watch. I watched like two episodes and then stopped it was just freaky..

Hahaha, the original was ok but pretty campy.

The 1980s remake was suitably more gruesome though and a trifle more chilling though.

AvP was pretty damned scary - that that two such great franchises could meet and be so tired, weak and horrible is quite terrfiying ;)

I remember as a child the two sci-fi things that scared me.

1. Quantum Leap - The Egyptian Mummy episode. I couldn't sleep for a week after that... although watching it alone at night in my room with the lights off probably didn't help.

2. Superman III - when the woman got robotised, I was rather scared.