I, Davros

Pella

Reported earlier on Outpost Gallifrey and now confirmed on the Big Finish site. BF are to make a mini series about the earlier life of Davros leading up to the events of 'Genesis Of The Daleks'

Thinking about it in hindsight, mit's not really a shock, BF have pretty much developed Davros into a dead end, with the events of 'Terror Firma' so the only thing that they could do is expand his back story. Aparently it will start with his his teenage years and incorporate the events in the play 'Davros' so I expect to see more of the character of Sharn for a start.

The thing is, it sounds a bit like their going to the 'Star Wars' route to me. Take the evilest person in the universe and give him a back story so he becomes more symapthethic. Hmmm Darth Vader anyone?

For me this will definitely be a 'try before you buy exercise'

• 2 weeks later...

Not got to Terra Firma yet, but Davros showed the slight incling to the pre-dalek Davros, so it did seem to be a potential area for future work.

Each 'chapter' of I' date=' Davros will relate a significant episode in Davros's life that will reveal the previously untold details of exactly how and why he became the notorious creator of the Daleks.[/quote']

Taken as is I can see why Star Wars parallels would be drawn. However I'm not sure its going to simply be that (or least hope not)

Big Finish have previously released a highly regarded double CD story entitled simply Davros by Lance Parkin. Elements from this story will also be woven in to this new mini-series.

The parts of this had Davros a control-freak, having to have his own name on all research, paranoid of colleagues, etc. So maybe they'll have Davros as a power hungry person aiming to do anything to succeed, starting off naive and the search for power corrupting him - rather than the Anakin powerful force for good that gets corrupted and turned by others.

I don't think Davros will ever be in the new series. Unless you count him as the Dalek Emperor. You have to remember in the Evil of the Daleks (the one that was suppose to be the last ever episode to featur Daleks. Like that lasted) there was a Dalek Emperor. There has been a Supreme Dalek since "The Chase". After Evil you never see anything about the Emperor until Remembrance of the Daleks. So it is implied that Davros becomes the Emperor Dalek. Which is the route Big Finish has taken with Terra Firma which can fit quite nicely with the new series (so much for avoiding forshadowing).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Listened to these and I must say that the fears voiced hear seem well unfounded.  Davros was just as unethical and blikered at 16 as he ever was in the series.  I thought it was a great series and tied in nicely to the beginning of Genesis of the Daleks.  With references to the Dals thrown in to tie genesis to the original Daleks story history.