Captains?

Azrael

Because i'm a conversationalist. and for so long before i found this place, i never had anyone to discuss with lol

Which is everyones favorite captain? i'm sure there is a thread or two like this, but maybe peoples opinions have changed.

Mine is Sisko, Followed by Picard.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like any of the captians except Picard. He's intelligent, dedicated, willful, honorable, highly educated and passionate about his principles.

I did like Sisko but he became all about letting the "Prophets" control him and that diminished Starfleet. That's basicly what DS9 did on the whole; mess up Starfleet principles.

Janeway wasn't a really strong captain; I never felt like Kate Mulgrew was the right woman for the part.

Kirk was just... well, totally ridiculous. But at least we got something funny out of him... Zaph Brannigan, the ultimate Star Trek caricature.

SNIPPET:

Janeway wasn't a really strong captain; I never felt like Kate Mulgrew was the right woman for the part.

WTF show were you watching? Not strong? Not right for the part?

c4 :stare: <-- this is a stare. I'm staring cause I can't believe what you said!

Well, I'm sorry to have to say this, but imo Janeway was the worst captain ever. She very often made the wrong choices for the wrong reasons, if Chakotay hadn't been around, I'm pretty certain the entire crew had gotten vaporised at one point or another, maybe they had better had switched places Chacotay captain and Janeway first officer,...., euhm..., no, that wouldn't have worked either. I don't know if it was the character (and thus the writers fault) or the actress, but I really really really didn't like her and would definately not have liked serving under her.

Sisko was pretty cool, although when he went on his over emotional shout-scream thingy... that allways sounded really lame...

Kirk was great, if even just for the fact that he was the first, he was a 'bit', ahum..., of an ego man and made some really weird decisions, but somehow they nearly allways turned out okay...

I used to think Picard was super! I still think that in the end he's my favourite, even though he's not perfect either, especially the latest movies were not very good for Picard.

Archer, wel..., he's kind of a captain apart, not really comparable to the others, different times, different morals,...., didn't really like him, but don't have anything against him either...

So, here's my list.

1. Picard

2. Sisko

3. Kirk

4. Archer

5. Nobody

6. Vacant

666. Janeway

Oh, Picard is in a league far beyond that of anyone else.

He's the only captain that was consistent. It's annoying that they felt compelled to make him some kind of strapping action hero from time to time but that was going to be explained in season 5 of ENT, when Captain Archer started leaps of a quantum nature to other well known starfleet captains to explain why they sometimes dramatically and inexplicably acted totally out of type.

I didn't like Sisko that much (someone really ought to have related to Avery Brooks that shouting does not equal acting at SOME point during those seven years) but he did face some moral dilemmas that were a trifle more tricky.

Janeway - I'm sure if they'd got her on Prozac, she'd have been far more sensible... but I never liked her and Mulgrew's voice for me is on a par with drawing nails across a blackboard.

That still made her better than Archer. I guess one of the effects of the Delphic Expanse is to supress the moral compass.

Tough call, really tough. I love both Picard and Sisko. But if I have to choose..

1. Picard

2. Sisko

3. Kirk

4. Janeway

5. Archer

1 & 2 are only slightly different in my choice cause, while I did enjoy TOS I wasn't so much a huge fan as I was for TNG/DS9. And anyone can tell you Picard is really almost a mirror difference of Kirk. He almost always chose a diplomatic solution instead of going in phasers blazing, and he didn't always woe the local native princess (Riker did ;p ) so for that alone I think he stood apart from Kirk/Sisko. Sisko well, the man just had moxie. He was like the Wesley Wyndham-Pryce of Star Trek, he went through everything and kept coming back for more. Kirk for obvious reasons was 3, Janeway was better than Archer so 4 was fine for her. While I enjoy Scott Bakula and his portrayal of Capn. Archer I wasn't a huge Ent fan.

oh - well fav captain other than the 5 series captains would be.....hmm...maybe Captain Randsom - he had the right idea about dealing with the Delta Quadrent...

Hey, that was that guy from equinox, that was so wrong what he did... And he rightfully died for it, well no, that's a bit exaggerated what I say here, but still... From the viewpoint of Star Trek it was even more wrong...

oh - well fav captain other than the 5 series captains would be.....hmm...maybe Captain Randsom - he had the right idea about dealing with the Delta Quadrent...

Hey, that was that guy from equinox, that was so wrong what he did... And he rightfully died for it, well no, that's a bit exaggerated what I say here, but still... From the viewpoint of Star Trek it was even more wrong...

ITs the captins highest obligation to keep the crew safe. He was trying to get the crew home in a way that he thought was more safe than travling years through the delta quadrent. And yes it was wronge, but a lot of things where wronge with VOY.

Randsom was great, he finally dropped all that peace and love crap and did what was necessary to ge his crew home, and he would have if it wasn't for Janeway. It's not like she's got a whiter than white record.

On topic, however:

1. Picard

2. Sisko

3. Archer

4. Kirk

5. Janeway

Picard was the best all round captain. He didn't have the serious short fall of Archer - the light switch morals (Janeway had those as well). Sisko had the major flaw of being as an actor, unable to portray emotion and as a character unable to let go of personal vendettas (against Eddington). Janeway, aside the morals, had as an actress, as already mentioned, a voice that can drive one to rip off ones own face and boil it in acid, and as a character she had the inane tendancy to perform every job on the ship, rather than using her crew properly. Kirk was just a 'man-whore', and as an actor, just plain terrible, but at least entertaining on both counts.

I think what really annoyed me about Janway was when she went with the Prime Directive in that episode Prime Factors - she knew fine well that the technology could have gotten her crew home but instead she said it was against the prime directive and refused it. And don't say that it was pointless because the technology wasn't compatible with Voyager anyway because she DIDN'T KNOW that at the time.