DivX DVD Players

NiteShdw

(expletive deleted)

My Phillips DVP642 died today. It no longer recognizes any kind of disk (commercial CD, commercial DVD, home-burned CD) that I insert - and I haven't even had it 30 days yet!!!

Gotta pack it back up and return it ... But I'm gonna order another one!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently use the ACE MEGA Coded free of the web. This codec pac has support for just about any file, from avi to divx to xvid. Also will play odd ball codecs sush as matroski and ogg. the address is here:http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ACE_Mega_CoDecS_Pack.htm

I hope this helps everyone.

good god man, what did you do?

really though, that sucks! i hope i'm not so unfortunate!

I didn't watch any disks for nearly a week - perhaps it got terminally lonely? But thankfully, there's a warranty. And, I still have the original box. It's just a hassle.

Will these Phillips DivX DVD Players play DivX AVIs encoded with AC3 sound? I've only got TNG season 2, I don't know how the rest of these movies are encoded, but I've finally figured out how to burn a regular DVD, however, it takes about 5 hours for an episode and then takes up half of a DVD so I only get two eps per DVD (waste).

I want to get a Phillips DivX DVD Player so I don't have to wait countless hours switching to DVD player format. Plus, I'd make up for the cost in saving the cost of blank DVDs alone.

Do these players play DivX with AC3 sound, and other sound formats, or is there further conversion required. If there is, I might as well stick to burning them to DVD

Do these players play DivX with AC3 sound' date=' and other sound formats, or is there further conversion required. If there is, I might as well stick to burning them to DVD[/quote']

The only audio format it doesn't play is WMA that I know of. All other formats seem to work just fine!

:D

Burning disks as "DATA" is great.......No wasted space. You can put AVI files, MPEG files, MP3's, and JPEG's on the same disk & it even accepts folders!

:cyclops:

When burning the disks in "DATA" format, make sure you select "Track at One" instead of "Disk At One".

.....You XViD AVI's will play better, for some reason.

Why? Beats me!

:stare:

why not get a yamada dvx 6700 multi region

plays all my avi xvid mpegs also wma kicks klingon butt :cyclops:

Multi-Region ..........No

(Multi-Region means that the DVD player can play DVD discs from all over the world, not just discs from one region.)

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sound-and-vision/vision/dvd-players/276475/details

The 6600 is multi-region

http://specialreserve.co.uk/q_GG3334_umax__yamada_dvx66.html

EDIT: You are right, it is a superior player, so it seems.......It even supports QPel!

Unfortunately, it doesn't run on American electricity, apparently......Which means we'd have to buy an expensive adapter to play it over here.

:(

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go out and buy me one of these players tonight. It'll save a hella of a lot of time (10s of hours) for only maybe $20-$40 more after considering the cost of all the DVDs I'd use if burning to DVD.

The Philips is like $65 at Best Buy. They have a JVC one that seems similar for $93. I might spring for the JVC one - I've got a Best Buy gift card for $45 so it wouldn't be that much. Does anybody know if the JVC one is any good? It appears to be alright. Plus it has a separate slot for a memory card, which is kind of cool!

I'm pumped. I can finally start watching some episodes, and keep more torrents on my HD to seed. DivX DVD players rock (well hopefully), I'll let you how it works.

Peace,

Stoddard

well all know how good the phillips is. there is no getting around that! i am SUPER satisfied with my purchase of it. no buyers remorse at all! ;)

Me too! My Phillips is still going strong!

.......Sounds like the Yamada 6600 is the European equivalent to the Phillips.

:)

i think that's the one i was considering having my friend send me. from everything i could find on it' date=' it is a very good machine.[/quote']

It is superior in the types of files it can play.

The only "gripe" I could find on it is that the tray is very weak.........Almost flimsy, in fact.

I just bought the JVC XV-NP10SL. It's DivX certified and it apparently plays back WMAs, so it says on the box. I'm assuming that it will play back DivX files with WMA audio. TNG 3 should be downloaded by the time I get off of work. I'm going to burn it to DVD and see if it'll play them. I'll let you know. By the way, the DVD player was $93.99 on sale at BestBuy. I probably could've gotten it cheaper, but I had a gift card there.

Peace,

Stoddard