DivX DVD Players

NiteShdw

If you guys really want to have the best-priced and best-performant DVD/DivX player out there' date=' you need to buy a [b']Sigmatek XM-400 Pro[/b]. They have excellent support, regular firmwareupdates, zonefree,.... I have one at home and it really is superb. Way better than that Philips-player and better support! It might be a little more expensive, but not that much. I don't know for sure if it's available in the US, but in Europe, it's no problem to order one.

Some features:

-DivX

-XViD

-3IVX

-DivX fusion

-AVI

-AVI bivx (2 audio streams)

-MP3

-WMA

-AC3

-OGM

-SVCD

-VCD

-DVD

-SACD

-HDCD

-SRT, SUB, SUB/IDX, SMI, SSA subtitle support

-DVD+R/-R/+RW/-RW/+R DL/-R DL

-CD R/RW

-regionfree

-hardware DTS decoder

-hardware Dolby Digital decoder

Video D/A converter 108 MHz/12-bits

Audio D/A converter 192 KHz/24-bits

+ A lot of other features, this baby is unbeatable in its price-class!

The only thing that I know of that is not supported, is MKV (matroska) files.

The image- and audio-quality is excellent because of the superb D/A converters.

Here is the usergroup support page with more info about it!

Pricing can be as low as € 85 if you search a little! As I said, a bit more expensive than the Philips, but way better and way better support!

They have other very interesting products as well: Sigmatek. Don't be alarmed that this site is in French, the seperate produkt pages are also available in English!

I'd feel a whole lot better about buying one if I could find a site selling them that wasn't entirely in French!!! I wonder if it would make it past US Customs? All that said, 99 Euros isn't THAT expensive for the features.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd feel a whole lot better about buying one if I could find a site selling them that wasn't entirely in French!!! I wonder if it would make it past US Customs? All that said' date=' 99 Euros isn't [b']THAT[/b] expensive for the features.

I did some searching on the net and the only sites in English I can find are in the UK. I don't think they are being sold in the US, but in the UK there are quite a few sites selling them. Most of those however, only ship to addresses in the UK.

The Yamada that MadMartha suggested has better availability in the US. It is a bit less complete, but it is also cheaper and still more complete than the Philips everybody was talking about here.

I hadn't really looked into this since I bought mine, but it appears that Philips has released a new model since then, in Europe at least, costs about € 100 and is a lot more complete than the other Philips: PHILIPS DVP5500 DVD/DivX/SACD player. Don't know if it's any good for real, but the specs are pretty good.

I bought mine (Sigmatek) from Pixmania, they're not the cheapest, but for me they were the easiest to order from. I'm not sure if they ship to the US.

The kiss dp-1500 does all those formats and even has webradio and a kml web browser

except maybe SACD and HDCD but then it does all the mp3 cd/dvd stuff

and is region free by going into the hidden menu by pressing eject clear 2 7 6

and in there you can set the monitor output

I have a Zensonic Z330 which does the job really well. It playes pretty much any format on any media and has upgradeable codec firmware. The player is also region free ;) Its possible that it also trades under a different name depends on what country your in.

I heard LG also released a divx/dvd player that can play almost as many formats as the Zensonic. The Zensonic is good but the build quality is average.

• 2 weeks later...
Best? From what I read there is a Yamaha that is absolutely fantastic. It supports DivX' date=' XviD, WMA, AC3, MP3... in other words just about any AVI file out there. Unfortuantely, I think it's only available in Europe.[/quote']

Yep, I hate to admit it, but Europe is kickin' our butts with DivX DVD Players!

:(

• 3 weeks later...

With that z500 series, you have to have your computer on at the same time if playing from it? Or does it store files internally?

Edit - I noticed some people on here have their TVs hooked up to their comps with a video card... what is the best card to go for? I'm still viewing on my PC but I prefer sitting down at the telly to watch something, and that seems like a pretty cheap solution. Cheers!

If your not very fussy about superb video quality, it doesn't really matter, any fairly recent card will do. Even a lowly gf fx5200 will do the trick. Just make sure you get some decent cables/connectors.

If you want higher quality, you can buy graphics cards advertised as home theatre graphics cards. They're supposed to deliver higher quality.

If you only want to display images on your tv, you don't need a video-in connection, only a video-out. If you want to capture stuff, a video-in connection is needed. But if you want to record tv-shows on you comp, a dedicated tv-card is recommended. Image quality will be much superior. But this is all about getting tv on your comp. To get comp-images on tv, nothing much special is needed. Nearly all graphics card support this. For higher quality go with home theatre cards, but it's usually not really needed. Most graphic chips will do fine...

You do have to keep in mind that most, not all, graphics chips only support 2 output signals. Meaning that if you've got a system with 2 active displays, your graphics chip will not be able to generate the necessary signals for the video-signal output. You'll have temporarily disalbe one screen, unless you've got a card that can do 3 signals, but those are pretty rare...

do you have to create a menu for your avi's to enable your dvd player to skip through the episodes? I am going to purchase one of these models, just haven't figured out which one yet. I thought I could go ahead and start making my dvd's if I know could only figure on more detailed steps. So, these players will play a data dvd, or are there others steps which need to be followed?

On the DVP642 (Philips) you don't create menus. You basically browse through the dvd like if you were in windows explorer, but it will only display the first 11 chars of files/folders. If there are a bunch of files in one folder, like ds9 season 1, you just start the first one, and it will go through all of the ones in the folder, unless you go back to the menu.

wow. that is about all i can say about my new phillips; it has played every data dvd that i've thrown at it. not just that, but i can actually fit 11 Babylon 5 350mb episodes per disc. Although i can only see the first six files - i can still skip forward through the episodes. Man, talking about a life-saver. No more making tons of DVD's at 4 hours burn time (due to file conversion). It takes such a short period of time to burn a Data DVD. This rocks. Quality has been exellent, and not one epiosde has failed to play. Audio is good, in fact, it is better than the regular dvd's i was making. Thanks for this recommendation.

I dunno.......Tapping the system button 2 times works!!

Nice, this works (file was ken burns the civil war)

-------------------------

is there a good program that will transcode muliple files to divx so i can leave my cpu running. there are so many files i wish to convert, i want to be able to walk away from my computer and let the process be somewhat automated.

No you just burn it as it is, so you get a data-CD or data-DVD and it plays it. That way I can get 12 350mb-episodes of ST on one DVD.

If you turn it into a normal DVD then any DVD-player would be able to play it and this thread wouldn't be necessary ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got an RCA DRC240N. So far it's played everything including xvid with no problems. I don't like phillips players and this one listed for $10 cheaper than the DVP 642. Acctually I got it for $39.99 becouse it was a display model and missing the remote. I haven't had any problems with sound sinc or colors being off like I've heard some people say about the DVP 642, and I'm not worried about the firmware needing updated. I'll have to see if there's a region free crack for it. I haven't tried divix 6 either.

Update: Divx 6 works fine, acctually seems to play the best of any codec I've tried.