Stargate SG-1 9x16

mateya

This ep was actually quite funny. The funniest line from this ep was:

Vorel (alliance man): Ah, so you were done slaying system Lords and decided to move on to more pressing agricultural conserns?

Mitchell: Thats exactly it. Corn control.

(slap!)

lol :D

Edit: I should also add

Official episode discussion. Off topic remarks will be sent to Lucian Alliance for further genetic corn experiments. ;)

Character wise I think it was a great episode for Mitchell. If people haven't warmed up to him now then I doubt they will, Ben can pull off a variety of personalities and Mitchell is great.

Storyline wise, *shrug*. All the Baal/Nerus stuff was great. It's nice to see the one last System Lord struggling to stay afloat. But the Lucian Alliance? It's like we got enough on our backs already with the Ori and everything. And since the sad :( demise of Prometheus..when did we begin building our third intergalactic vessel? I mean yes we expect Earth to continue construction and bettering the design with each new ship. But like, there was no mention that I recall, of a third ship being built. It was like Ship 1 goes boom, ok we need a Ship 3 so let's just write one in, since obviously Ship 2 is in another galaxy at the moment..

If anything I think we can see the Lucian Alliance becoming a rogue figure in the equation. They don't seem to care about Baal, nor the Ori (though they haven't met a Prior yet). So far it seems anything that hampers them from making money, they dislike. While normally you'd think "hey thats a good thing maybe the SGC can temporarily ally with them aganist the Ori?" it's too, cliche. Too obvious. Even the casual viewing fan can see that one coming a mile away. Besides, the Ori are brand new. We can't have the SGC gathering a ton of allies right off the bat, we need them to stick around a few seasons as villians ;o

How did the Lucien alliance get their hands on so many motherships? I vaguely recall that they aonly had cargo vessels and bombers when they were first introduced. A mothershp was manned by hundreds of jaffa, and I doubt a gang of pirates and smugglers would have been able to board them in the aftermath of the Goauld demise. The jaffa don't seem susceptible to bribery I think.

IMO this is one more of the "deux ex machina" solutions by the writers "We need to make the Lucien alliance tough. M'kay, let's make them have many motherships now."

A bit overstretched.

And when is Earth finally going to acquire some beam weapons? Or a fleet that is comprised of more than 2 active ships? We eant star destroyers!! :D

To be honest, why do they bother with railguns? About as much use a chocolate teapot against anything with shields. You'd think they'd have got some kind of energy weapons by now.

I still don't like Mitchell but to be honest, O'Neil didn't really do it for me either.

The Lucian alliance thing was a bit of a joke. One minute they're basically a bunch of thugs in souped attack craft - the next minute they're genetically engineering supercrops (although I suppose they could have just stolen it or found it) and flying around in motherships. Now, unless I'm mistaken that wasn't more than a few months ago?

Also - I'm fairly sure that Baal is gonna be fine.

To be honest, why do they bother with railguns? About as much use a chocolate teapot against anything with shields. You'd think they'd have got some kind of energy weapons by now.

They seem to work okay against small fighter craft like Wraith darts.

I really enjoyed watching this episode. Classic Stargate. Actually, for the first time, I felt a good chemistry among the cast. I think that Mitchell has finally settled down. Regarding the ships, yes, there seems to be a lot of them coming out of nowhere lately. Strange. I also agree with Tenebrae on the energy weapon issue. Indeed, SGC has had access to plenty of off-world technology over the years. It's hard to believe they haven't come up with something based, at least, on Goa'uld design. Baal will come back, of course. I guess one of his clones was killed by the Lucian Alliance.

How did the Lucien alliance get their hands on so many motherships? I vaguely recall that they aonly had cargo vessels and bombers when they were first introduced. A mothershp was manned by hundreds of jaffa' date=' and I doubt a gang of pirates and smugglers would have been able to board them in the aftermath of the Goauld demise. The jaffa don't seem susceptible to bribery I think.[/quote']

Aside from guarding key areas (the rings, weapons locker and the bridge) there normally isn't a need for a ton of Jaffa to crew a mothership. You just gotta remember the Goa'uld were some nervous paranoid people, aside from their love of surrounding themselves with worshippers they always had plenty of loyal Jaffa to play fodder defense.

Also the Jaffa Nation is still split. Putting the Council issues aside, the Jaffa fall into two groups: those in the Free Jaffa Nation and those Jaffa that still serve the few remaining Goa'uld left, like Baal. While the first group might not be so easy to bribe, the second group is always a possibility.

The number of people to run a mothership is about 3 - as demnostrated from that time the SG-1 team were flying one.

They're just big so they can ferry troops around and carry fighters/bombers/giant pizzas.

They never really explained how the Hatak ships became prevalent so quickly though. The first time Teal'c gets on one, he says "oh, these ships only do 10c so it'll be ages before we reach earth" when of course, it manages to get to Earth in a matter of hours.

Also - I'm sad we haven't seen anymore Uber capital ships. Apophesis had his, Anubis had his WITH ITS MIGHTY MORPHIN' DEATH STAR "LASER" - we'd best be seeing one soon.

i agree about energy weapons, i mean kinetic weapons like rail gunds cant actually do damage to energy based shields, even though they are able to somehow in sg-1 and sg-a. it seems absurd that they have all this Asguard technology, but no feasabe weapons, cant even reverse engeneer them from Goauld energy weapons. Energy weapons never run out unlike those missles they have on the f-302. I mean missles for short range fighters coupled with energy weapons is good but having missiles on Deadulus class warships is lame. They are easily shot down and intercepted.

The Asgard would never give humans any sort of offensive weapon. It is against their beliefs. They have no problem with helping to protect humans as that's what they have done all down through the ages. Theoretically speaking, rail guns would do damage to energy shields, just not nearly as much as an energy weapon would. I would guess that it would take several minutes to an hour of continuing fire on a shield to have the effect of a single blast of an energy weapon. Of course, that means railguns are fairly worthless when in a fight one on one. If they can fire the rail guns before the enemy's defenses are up, then they're good for something. Shields aren't made to run 24-7. It would drain too much energy to keep them all on all the time and deflection requires at least an equal amount of energy to whatever it is their deflecting. That's why whenever there is a hit in SF shows shields go down by percentage points.

I'm sure Earthships will have energy weapons in time. But for a realistic perspective, these ships would be astronomically expensive to produce. What is it, $10 billion for a single stealth bomber? What would a ship like Prometheus cost? Adding lasers or whatever could jack up the cost twice over and then there's the problem of power. Also, on a basic storytelling level, having these sorts of weapons would make it too easy (and thus boring) to defend Earth.

I dunno, seems like they knowed out that new Daedulus classs ship fast enough.

To be honest, having ships somewhat diminishes the show period but then it did take them forever to actually get one and then even longer one that could actually go anywhere and do anything.

Course if they're going to go and get them destroyed.

But I don't think there is much point as to speculation on the cost of these ships, the damage a railgun can do etc. because it's not as if they'll ever say "Gee Sam, let's have a detailed look at the cost of these new ships and their weapons!"

Though the kinetic projectiles are BSG stylee and hence cool.

But I don't think there is much point as to speculation on the cost of these ships, the damage a railgun can do etc. because it's not as if they'll ever say "Gee Sam, let's have a detailed look at the cost of these new ships and their weapons!"

Of course there isn't much point in speculating in these things, but by that same token, there's about as much point in it as wondering why they don't have energy weapons, either. Why bother discussing the show at all?