I just noticed a major plothole with Voyager..

Pavey1991

Not too convinced with that Carnifex. Vidians may be more medically advanced, but i don't think there's a cure for death / age.

"Oh take two of these tablets twice a week and you'll be alive again in no time Mrs. Williams! Nurse, send in the next corpse please!" - Rimmer, Red Dwarf.

Each to our own' date=' i guess.[/quote']

Heh, well it's either this or we're dealing with an incredibly dumb, medically adavance race... even the most cursory of genetic scans would have revealed to them Nelix's lifespan and if they didn't think that the lungs would be useful they probably wouldn't have taken the risks to get them.

EDIT:SORRY DUDE, i'VE COMPLETELY MISREAD YOUR FIRST POST, IGNORE EVERYTHING I'VE JUST WRITTEN. LMAO

Well ignore the stuff about the Viideans anyway (got confused quite easy for me. :p) ok... genetic manipulation would still have taken place for kes' lung to be able to have been used for Nelix so that point still stands, the new lung would have taken on new characteristics and therefore would be something different.. I still don't think that it would be subject to the 5 year lifespan in it's new form.. it would have been adapted to fit Nelix's body chem.

(That's better.lol)

Not too convinced with that Carnifex. Vidians may be more medically advanced, but i don't think there's a cure for death / age.

Sure there is. Genetic Entertainment. If your cells never get bored, they stay in motion doing their job. Doing the same thing day in day out your entire life, they bore easily.

- DS9 ;p

Anyways, didn't Kes live longer than 5 years? I suck at time tables, but I recall there was a time period after Kes left the ship, and then showed up again down the road. I don't remember her dying when she came back that one time, where she damn near destroyed the ship. *Shrug* memory isn't what it used to be.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned it, but not quite: Couldn't the Doctor just have replicated a synthetic set of lungs? Much like Picard has a synthetic heart, I'm sure lungs can't be that far off the scale from that, they function similarly except they pump/store oxygen not blood. Sure Talaxian physiology may play a role but come on, if an Ocampan lung works, couldn't the Doctor have just replicated a synthetic Ocampan lung?

And btw, in the episode as voyager had contact with the female caretaker, there was an ocampa that had a quite highly increased lifetime...even though I dont remember why etc, but the biological condition of the ocampa therefore seems to support a longer lifetime than originally assumed.

Ocampa live for nine years (first episode when Maj Kullah tels of how worthless they are).

Vidiians are so medically advanced that can cure almost all ailments except their own Vidiian phage. They transmute organs into their own bodies which means they have to alter the DNA of the organs so their bodies won't reject it. A similar process would've been used for Kes's lung to put into Neelix. Using his DNA they convert it for his body and so it gains his lifespan.

The female Caretaker bonded with her Ocampa and her essense increaed their lifespans (the main guy was almost thirteen while his dad lived to sixteen)

And btw' date=' in the episode as voyager had contact with the female caretaker, there was an ocampa that had a quite highly increased lifetime...even though I dont remember why etc, but the biological condition of the ocampa therefore seems to support a longer lifetime than originally assumed.[/quote']

Here's a bit for startrek.com on the matter:

Ten months after being drawn to the Delta quadrant, the U.S.S. Voyager found Ocampa on the Array of another Nacene entity and the Caretaker's mate, Suspiria. The stories of the Nacene proved to be true. Through her guidance, these Ocampa had developed telekinetic and telepathic abilities, and had extended their lifespan to over 20 years.

The link.

c4 B)