Which trek was ur fav

jhug666

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont want to blaspheme but i find voyager the only watchable trek largely due to the absence of the sillier aliens and the stronger basic storyline (7of 9's a pretty good reason 2 watch 2) but even then....why send the entire command structure off on every dangerous mission-what are the other 200 odd people on the ship actually doing? tho im told that after a certain point ds9 is pretty damn good.

My first Star Trek experience was TNG Season 1 - a baaaaad place to start! Nevertheless, I was hooked from the beginning. As I watched more and more I was drawn into this strange and wonderful world. By the end of Season 4 Star Trek TNG had become my favourite TV show ever, Q had become my favourite character, "Darmok" was my favourite episode and I just wanted MORE TREK!!! :)

At the time I had no idea that any other shows or movies even existed (I live in a country that used to be very sheltered and at the time I had no access to the Internet). When I "discovered" DS9 and Voyager a few years later, things got a much broader perspective. Later I saw all of the movies and only recently I had the chance to watch TOS (thanks to a wonderful website...).

I love them all. Every show has its own charm that the others can never have. But "my crew" is the crew of the Enterprise-D and always will be.

bigV

(trying v hard not to swear!)

My point was that on the posts in this thread, a number of people have posted their favourite Star Trek Series in a ranking system, completely ignoring the original series, simply because it was "old" and "had bad FX" (or some such nonsense), and indicating that they had not watched the original series.

If you want to have an opinion on something, you should at least have done some research. Watching 10 minutes of TOS and then stating that you thought that the FX were bad and that it wasn't worth watching, is not research. If you'd have done that with any of the other Trek series, you could just have easily caught a bad episode (and there are a few).

My definition of being a fan is not that you have to particularly know every episode or be able to quote every line, and tell somebody what colour Worf's pyjamas are, or anything like that. But, you should have an appreciation of the various incarnations of the mythos, and should attempt to watch it, such that you can understand the later incarnations, even if you only watch it once.

As to the Doctor Who comment; I watch Dr Who if it's on the TV, whatever series happens to be showing, but I don't particularly consider myself a fan, because I am not too bothered about watching all the episodes etc, but if I was, I would want to watch all the canon material, before making statements about it on the internet. My opinion on who the best Doctor is invalid, and I wouldn't even start to speculate, simply because I have only seen 6 of the doctors (Baker, Eccleston, Tennant, Davidson, McCoy, Pertwee), and haven't seen all the episodes.

Thus, in the same way, how can you rank the Trek Series, if you haven't seen them all.

(deep breath!)

Well I have seen every episode of Star Trek and I can comment that from a storyline/script-quality and acting point of view the series' rank in this order:

1)DS9 (Simply amazing story ark that keeps you interested all the way to the end, with 4 being the stand-out)

2)TNG (Fantastic cast, and really got going after shoddy 2nd series)

3)TOS (One and a half good, iconic, well-played series', with one and a half of throwaway pap)

4) Enterprise (If it wasn't Star Trek it probably would have done better, but seeing as it was it just lacked the punch until the 3rd series and then jumped the shark)

5) Voyager (So much potential gone to waste with some awful and incoherent scripts and performances, combined with a poor Captain and a crew that you just really want to die throughout)