Dr.Who--New series

wesireal

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Just read on BBC that the new series would be available in the US on sci-fi channel in March and in the UK sometimes in sring." - Season 1 begins in the US in March' date=' season 2 in the UK.[/quote']

New series begins on BBC 1 !!! in sring and in March in the US. Please read again.

I think its about time our US friends got their chance to get it over there, but to be honest, and correct me if Im wrong, any half decent Who fan existing in America will already have seen it via Torrents...maybe not but Im probably pretty close. Still it'll give a chance to recruit even more fans, 'specially the young ones, new Who blood for the coming decades....Im getting on a bit now and its sad to hear that kids nowadays (well up until last year) didnt even know what Dr Who was, or Daleks or TARDIS etc. SO sad! :( hehe

I am surprised that there is not alot, if any, commercials or any types of ads spreading the word that the show is coming to the US. It will be on Friday nights on Sci-Fi. I think it will be a major ratings grabber for the channel.

"New series begins on BBC 1 !!! in sring and in March in the US. Please read again." - Yes, season 2 begins in the UK in late March/early April while season 1 will begin in the US after the Stargates and BSG are done. It would make no sense for the Sci-fi channel to start with season 2. If you don't believe me, then look at what happened to the planned DVD-release of season 1 in the US. It got postponed so the Sci-fi channel could show it first.

I think its about time our US friends got their chance to get it over there' date=' but to be honest, and correct me if Im wrong, any half decent Who fan existing in America will already have seen it via Torrents...maybe not but Im probably pretty close. Still it'll give a chance to recruit even more fans, 'specially the young ones, new Who blood for the coming decades....[/quote'] :D Speaking for myself, I've seen them all several times already and had them downloaded, written to disk and watched within 12 hours of the BBC broadcast. But I'm still going to watch it on Sci-Fi and get as many people I know to watch it also, to help drive the ratings as high as possiable so we get season 2, 3, 4, etc...

And, I live close enough to Canada to get their broadcast, so I watch that too.

I am surprised that there is not alot' date=' if any, commercials or any types of ads spreading the word that the show is coming to the US. It will be on Friday nights on Sci-Fi. I think it will be a major ratings grabber for the channel.[/quote']Yea! It's almost March and I haven't actually seen a single commercial yet. :(

Sci-fi channel is not an over-the-air network (nbc,cbs,abc,fox). Sci-fi's a cable channel only available by subscription.

The lack of ads is due to Sci-Fi's belief that the Doctor will do poorly in America. Sci-Fi is stupid. Sci-Fi initially said in 2005, "Doctor Who does not fit our type of programming," and rejected it. So they are trying to avoid advertising that which they believe will flop. To save money.

Just read on BBC that the new series would be available in the US on sci-fi channel in March and in the UK sometimes in sring. No firm dates yet. So we in Europe will be dependent on someone capping and upping from the US!!!!!!! Oh please!

You. Are. Confus-ed.

The U.S. episodes are actually RERUNS of the old 2005 show.

I was wondering when we would see adverts for Doctor Who on the Scifi channel and was thinking it may have something to do with the fact that it is not a scifi produced show. They will be placing it on Friday nights and they never fail to mention that SG1 and such are all their lil lovechildren.

The lack of ads is due to Sci-Fi's belief that the Doctor will do poorly in America. Sci-Fi is stupid. Sci-Fi initially said in 2005, "Doctor Who does not fit our type of programming," and rejected it. So they are trying to avoid advertising that which they believe will flop. To save money.

SCI-FI channel has really gone downhill over the last couple of years. I have heard that execs have finally noticed that thier programming policy hasn't worked (generally dumping all thier Sci-Fi shows), and has in fact alientated thier viewer base. With Galactica doing so well, someone was able to point out to the channel' leadership that people really do want to watch space/futuristic Science Fiction.

I think the BBC's plans to relse the new series on DVD in North America probably helped to et a US network to commit.

I've yet to see any ads for it on the Sci-Fi channel, but that doesn't surprise me. They didn't really plug Firefly or John Doe, both non-SciFi produced show which aired in that same time-slot. I've already seen all the episodes from Series One, as well as the Christmas special, but I plan to watch it on the SciFi channel also. Hopefully they will get high enough rating to warrent airing Series Two in the future.

Yeah sci-fi had a great plicy. "We've decided that we don't want any proper science fiction. That's right, no more space based shows. Every show is going to be set on Earth in the present. Oh we will also have more fantasy because some weirdo decided years ago that fantasy and science fiction are the same thing. So to sum up no shows that are space based. Hence we won't pick finish Crusade or make another Babylon 5 series. We won't be screening (or producing) Farscpe: The Peacekeeper War. we will be keeping Stargate Sg1 as it gives us the best ratings. It is the only exception." Couple of years later, they get Stargate Atlantis, the remake of Battlestar Galactica (but we won't show any space based shows) and they were the first station in the world to screen The Peacekeeper War.

Yes, their policy really worked.

What's funny, I'm an Australain and I critise this channel. We don't get sci-fi but their decisions do affect us, since they produce most of the sci-fi hits these days when the axe something, then it means the world doesn't get anymore.