MISSING EPISODES!! What do u people think??????

underscore

As people here will be aware, i am an exponent of the missing episodes in private hands theory......

Well, check this anyone who thinks that idea is flakey!!!!

It would seem that episode 6 of A for andromeda, has finally been returned! It was a hot rumour that this was being held, along with certain episodes of who, by private and very selfish people...... and now that one specific episode has been returned!

I think this event mo than justifies the opinion that a lot of it is still out there.....

I will post more details 2mrw when im sober!!!!

I just want to know what happened to the 2 (yes 2) copies of Dalek Masterplan (incl Mission to the Unknown) that were sent to the Australian censor went.

Personally, I think the ABC in Australia has a few, but they just don't know it because they have a lot of archive material uncatalogued.

I remember watching Frontier in Space back in 1983 & was amazed. All the "official" records at the time said eps 4&5 only existed in B&W, but the ABC showed them in colour.

Yeah, well theres the devil in establishing fact from fiction in this whole game. The lack of correct documentation and organisation, could allow employees to quite easily disappear with something if they came accross it and they had a certain weak type of character (im not refering to anyone who saved anything from destruction, via the backdoor or skip diving, both venerable practices). There are genuinely selfish people out there, look at the state of the world, its not utopian.

I think it quite likely that, taking into account the widespread popularity that dr who achieved in the 60s / 70s, and also taking into account the unreasonably fanatical fanbase, that stuff WOULD have been pulled out of skips by casual fans and ended up who knows where; and / or stolen from poorly maintained archives by employees. Most work places I have ever worked in have had a crooked employee or two, who like to walk off with things, this coupled with the type of people who would naturally gravitate towards working in an archive, present some definite possibilities, even likelihoods for where some of the missing tapes probably ended up.

Lets face it, if this sort of thing didnt ever happen then the BBCs purges would have been effective and we wouldnt have much of the material we have now, this is a fact. That said, even a misguided sense of revenge by hoarders on the BBC establishment that has long since evolved its attitudes is only hurting the fans.

well next to mccoy, troughton is my second favourite doctor..funny how all my favourites seem to not have much material lol, so here goes :

The Power of the Daleks

The Moonbase (remaining 2)

The Faceless Ones

The Evil of the Daleks

The Abominable Snowmen

The Enemy of the World

The Web of Fear

Fury from the Deep

The Space Pirates

I'm curious as to who feels has more of these 'missing' episodes: Collectors or broadcasters?

Sort of a lot of overlap there. I know that several of the "mising" episodes that have surfaced over the years were from former BBC employees who grabbed an reel or two of film from the trah bin.

My person option is that there are probably a few more episodes tucked away in various stations around the wrld. It's not like people are scoureing through every tation' archies actively searching for old Who episodes.

• 1 month later...

I saw a program a little while ago that was about a guy that worked for the BBC in the 60`s and 70`s.

He explained that the cost of each reel was quite expensive (about £100 I think it was), this was a lot of money in those days, so re-using was the only option. This meant that many programs were recorded over. This guy put it upon himself to hide a few every now and then, he put them above the false ceiling. If I remember right, his main concern was Top Of The Pops, I can`t remember if he saved any others.

This would mean that some of the early episodes of other programs just don`t exist any more. Sorry to put a dampener on this.

I suppose that it may be possible that if some programs were copied and sent to other broadcasters then they might have a copy, but was this the case with Who?

Did the BBC actually sell copies to overseas companies back in the 60`s and 70`s?

B)

Oh yeah mate! ALL episodes of dr who were edited and mastered to old video tape and then either transfered to 16mm or 35 mm for overseas sales or archiving. Positives and negatives would generally be struck, usually in multiples, in fact pretty much always in multiples. I think the feast of steven was the only exception to this.

So the likely hood is imo that a lot more missing material is out there, either tucked away and forgotten about, held by collectors who dont realise what they have and most worryingly held by assholes who know exactly what they have but enjoy being the only one to own something and the power that that gives them. I believe that all of the 3 latter points are true and I would site the recent recovery of episode 6 of A for andromeda from a certain collector who we all knew had it for the last 15 to 20 years. You see by the time scale involved there that these selfish tossers can be very hard to persaude to let go of material.

Not wishing to be a gossip monger, but some other very persistent rumours that have stuck over the years, but may turn out to be fake, are marco polo, abominable snowmen, web of fear, 10th planet 4 and the savages. These have been VERY persistent rumours that have lasted a long time, ie that these are held by certain private collectors. The re-emergence of A for Andromeda totally vindicates the possibility that some of the other persistent stories are true as well imo.

What do you guys think??

Oh yeah, I saw the story about the top of the pops guy as well! Props to him for having more foresight than his dumbass employers!!!

Yeah, he used to save footage, I think he transfered it to 16mm film or something aftrer hours or in his lunch break, I really cant recall, and stash it above the ceiling for future generations to enjoy! What a guy!

I think that there is going to be a certain percentage of employees who end up working in Television because they are film / TV geeks and would feel ill of just disposing of a favorite program when it could sit quite happily under the stairs, forgotten for who knows how long! Just as long as their families dont throw them out!!

Oh and as for programs being definitively 'gone' check this thread I started a while ago :)

http://forum.niteshdw.com/index.php?a=topic&t=7488

Yeah, stuff that was never even taped by the BBC or destroyed after the fact can still turn up this way. For proof of what im saying I would point out that EVERY single missing episode of 'Steptoe and son' came back this way, so now we have a complete run of that series. Its something that needs serious investigation!!!

A couple of 16mm prints of missing Z-cars turned up on ebay as well a year or so ago. Who knows what will float to the surface next?!?!?!?!???

Yeah I heard about that! Props to them! Now if they can just remember where they put tenth planet episode 4 and the feast of steven we will be laughing ;)

*/ just in case you havent got a clue what im babbling about, those are episodes that were loaned to the blue peter team for using clips and no one knows what happened to them! /*