A for Andromeda - returned to the archives!!

underscore

Hi all, just found out that episode 6 of the lost series A for andromeda has finally been returned to the BBC archives, more than 40 years after it was last seen by the public!!! WOW!!!

This is the episode that was always said to be being held by a private collector. Seems these rumours are true sometimes, eh?

In addition to this it is also said that the rest of it is held by another collector, who is offering it for sale at too high a price for the BBC or BFI accept. Watch this space I guess to see what comes of this. What an awesome thing to finally get back to the BBC archives:) :) :) :)!!!

Yep, youll get no argument from me on that one! But the implication of this recovery is pretty clear. The 'rumours' of lost material being in private hands has been vindicated; it has always been strongly claimed that this one was in private hands, and now it has been proven to have been.

So who knows.... certain persistent rumours about certain troughton episodes being in private hands may also turn out to be entirely accurate. Ive heard so many times that a couple of episodes from power of the daleks still exist in a collection, and also that fury of the deep 3, marco polo 2, and a few others as well. Maybe in the next few years we might see a few of thes come back. then again, maybe not :( :) Wait and see!

Yeah, im with you on that...it gives me hope more stuff will be found too now its proven some rumours like this one ARE actually true. And yeah fury from the deep, web of fear, abominable snowman, evil and power ect id LOVE to see again, lets hope they are out there eh ? :)

God yeah!!!!!

I think there are going to be more great things coming back when they can be prised out of greedy selfish mitts :)

Also of note is something that I recently found out, apparently it is documented that a complete print on 16mm was sold to Pakistan of A for andromeda, no one is at all sure what has happened to it and as far as im aware the Pakistani archives havent been even remotely mined yet, so who knows, a complete set might either turn up from Pakistan or the alledged private collector who is asking too much money for it!!!

Anyway, im feeling all optimistic :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah mav! youre not very up on British sci fi are you :) Yeah, this is a totaly dif thing. A for Andromeda is an early 60s British sci fi show about a binary transmission that is recieved from Andromeda, which turns out to be the plans for building a super computer and an OS that makes it sentient. The problem is though that the AI doesnt have human values and is in fact evil by human standards.

Some of the bad guys of the story are actually INTEL (!!!), yes that intel, weird huh?!? I wont go too in depth here, but I read the book and it was amazingly good, its also rated by the BFI (British film institute) as being the lost footage that they most want to see returned. There has been quite a big hunt on for a long time to try and find out what happened to the episodes and the private collector weve all known about for years has finally relented and given this episode back.

Theres a few clips surviving from the other episodes and they are uniformly excellent. I really cannot wait to see this recovered gem :)

If you work at an educational establishment, you can get a digital key to the BFI's educational archive, which basically means you can watch unimaginably rare and unavailable footage streamed from their website that is totally unavailable. Theyve got stuff like most of episode 7 of A for Andromeda, ace of wands, adam adamant lives!, the american titles to the rigg avengers, loads of really rare stuff. Check it if you get the chance :)

The BBCs website also has a brief clip from episode 1 of A for Andromeda that was recently recovered that you can watch in real player :)

Well we don't get much British science fiction across the pond ;p (we're just NOW getting Dr. Who).

Though I have seen my share of Avengers from time to time, though it was more of a British secret spy show than science fiction (think James Bond).

Oh I love the avengers! A seriously great show!!! Pity the film sucked so.... not even uma thurman in a leather catsuit could save that heap!

Speaking of avengers, did you hear, they recently recovered half of the first ever episode that was considered to be irrepairably lost!! Great news eh?

Awesome. Wonder if they'll ever allow it to be viewed by the public, either a dvd release or free online legal download?

Thats one show I always wanted them to bring to America, it was pretty cutting edge stuff for it's time and probably would have gone over well here.

And yea the film sucked. It was like they tried to make it with too much action and stuff.

I heard a whisper that the bits of the first ever episode and the other recently recovered first season episode were scheduled for release at some stage with some other odds and ends. Looking forward to it a lot. Apparently the complete episode that was recovered features an avengers girl that doesnt exist in any surviving episodes at all, so when that comes out we get a whole new avengers girl! Sorted :)

I know they showed them at the BFIs annual cinema night in London for recovered television stuff, I couldnt get tickets tho! Maybe i'll get tickets this year, because its a given that A for Andromeda is going to be shown!!!!!!

Thats the one!!!

Wicked I didnt know they had been released already!! The frightners was out on a nice quality UK video release from a few years back, and its a pretty good episode. Im really excited about girl on a trapese though, thats supposed to be a great episode. Gonna have a hunt on ebay right now :)

Did anyone see the article in dreamwatch about the remake of A for Andromeda thats currently being filmed by BBC 4???? It looks like its going to be great!!!!! Its being made by people who are sensitive to original, although I have to say, when they pointed out they are putting more of an emphasis on the relationships between the characters and the love triangle thing, alarm bells did go off.

I for one think that remakes of lost shows should be as militantly close to the original as humanly possible!!

Either way, it should still be a lot of fun!! Filming started in early february, so I guess it'll be out later this year!! :)