A thought regarding Odo

Exterus

it would be easier for them to relate to Odo if they looked like him and it's not like they can't appear as Humans - there are several eps we see them acting as Humans

Yes, but in many situations where Odo isn't even in the same starsystems as them, they still look like him.

hmm... well you have to consider - when the female shapeshifter was on Cardassia commanding her forces and such - she had to have some form - and Odo's appearence was unique - she couldn't have been a human or Jem Hadar as that would have been weird - she had to be a form that was easily recognisable that she was the Founder.

hmm... well you have to consider - when the female shapeshifter was on Cardassia commanding her forces and such - she had to have some form - and Odo's appearence was unique - she couldn't have been a human or Jem Hadar as that would have been weird - she had to be a form that was easily recognisable that she was the Founder.

I think we place to much faith in the creators of the show. I think they probably just gave the founders that look to identify them as founders, without much in-plot reason, just like someone said earlier in the thread.

Up untill he met the Founders he really didn't have much skill in his metamorphic abilities - after that i think he could have had a Human face but that would have been wierd - he was unique that way :)

ALTHOUGH - if you watch that ep in Season 4 - Children of TIme or somthing like that - Odo has a more human face and says he's gotten better at shapeshifting....weird as that was after he met the Founders...

Children of Time had time travel, the Odo from the "past" had been there for over 200+ years so he had plenty of time to practice and hone in his abilities more precisely.

You would think they'd have let him just appear fully human. Think about it, there'd be virtually no need for makeup aside from his costume, it would cut back on money and time spent for him to get his face all made up.

Storywise it was a plot hole. He can't mimic a humanoid face precisely, yet he can nail humonoid hands perfectly right down to finger length, size, shape and even finger nails? Come on..Same with feet, and clothes for that matter ;\

He can shapeshift into complex animals, and even gas, fog, etc but not a humanoid face? Sorry I gotta call B.S. on that ;o

It was good to start with but by the end of season 7 he shoulda been much more able to be a humanoid.

well heres a thought. were the founders always shapeshifters? if you go back far enough into their history I bet they may have been humanoid and solid. and they would have retained that shape as their base shape even when they turned into fluid threw evolution. Thus odo's apearance is nothing more then instinct from before they became liquid. I don't think they could have been liquid throughout their evolution.

well heres a thought. were the founders always shapeshifters? if you go back far enough into their history I bet they may have been humanoid and solid. and they would have retained that shape as their base shape even when they turned into fluid threw evolution. Thus odo's apearance is nothing more then instinct from before they became liquid. I don't think they could have been liquid throughout their evolution.

well actually the scientist that worked with Odo when he found him was what Odo based his appearence on.

And as the Female Shapeshifter said - many melenia ago the solids feared our metamorphic abilities and chased us away - so the Founders were shapeshifters for a long time before this...

There is another reason which nobody has meantioned for making a simpler face.

Human faces a very complex underneath with over 200 muscles controlling facial expressions and our overall form. If theses muscles are paralysed the the face looks unnatural.

This would be a good reason for a simplified face by Odo as although he might be able to mimic the shape of the face he may not be able to realisticly control it so it doesn't look parlaysed so he just simplified the structure. Also in one episode ( I think it was Melara ) he said that to create structures like the ears was difficult and required a lot of concentration to form so maybe he just didn't bother he did say he paid special attention to certain parts like the eyes.

As I've said, whatever the multitude of reasons fans can think of for his appearance, I'm convinced that the creators of the show wanted to simplify matter from a production viewpoint. That smooth face gives him both an alien and generic look, which is a good way to indicate that he is a shapeshifter. The fact that they changed their story for the origin of his appearance after the first season also indicates that they didn't have this deep background story all set in stone. So, they probably didn't delve too deep into it and gave all the shapeshifters those same generic faces to illustrate that they are changelings.

Odo had human-style sexual intercourse with three women during the seven seasons of DS9. How did he know how to mimick the shape and feel of human male sexual organs??? With the other things he morphs into, he stares at them from point blank distance in order to learn how to shapeshift into them.

Just some food for thought. =P