Where have the torrents gone?

species8472

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commodore S0V13T said:

- We have volunterilly removed all the torrents, related software, and databases from the site.

Might I suggest....

EasTek Erasure

This was/is a great site. Being located in the U.S. was always a bad idea.

You did mention databases however, seems that our logins still work for the forums, which is/was the same as the torrent site, so I'm told ;)

Good luck guys....G

I've honestly thought about moving to Canada where file sharing is currently legal. Plus all the other benefits Canadians get' date=' like free health care doesn't hurt either ;p[/quote']

It's not as free as it seems. They keep delisting services to save money, and you still have to pay for all prescription medications yourself, unless you can purchase extended health coverage or your employer has it.

I have no coverage and no money to pay for drugs, and therefore have to get by on free samples from my doctor. Otherwise, I'd be out of luck.

You want to get an annual physical? You have to pay for it yourself. You need to get your eyes tested every two years? You pay for it yourself or you go without, like I do. You need physiotherapy? You pay for it yourself or you go without. You need a chiropractor? You pay for it yourself or go without. And, on and on it goes. And, as for dental care, forget about it. If you can't come up with the cash, you do without. If you've got good coverage where you are, my advice is, stay there.

And, oh, I forgot to mention that there are also long waiting lists for many essential services, such as heart surgery, chemotherapy for cancer, joint replacements, etc. :rolleyes:

Luckily, all my problems are chronic, but there are many medications I'd like to try, but cannot due to lack of funds, that might improve my quality of life enough for me to work more hours, which would enable me to make enough money to pay for the medications. But, I can't try them out, because I can't afford to, and I can't go into debt to try them, because if they don't work, I'd never be able to pay if off. :rolleyes:

(A friend of mine even recommended a chiropractor who she says could probably help me with my condition, but I just haven't got the bucks to try it.)

So, yeah, it's better than nothing, but unless you're fairly well off, it's not enough.

Getting back to the topic, in conclusion, it may not be worth your while to move just for the downloading.

The MPAA estimates that the film industry lost approximately

$3.5 billion to movie piracy in 2004, a total that does not include losses due to Internet

piracy. According to a study by Smith Barney, predicted losses were $5.4 billion in 2005

when including Internet piracy.

Link to above MPAA article

What losses are they talking about?

How can they claim that everybody will for sure buy something, they can't get for free...

If I couldn't get it for free, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know about it, afford it or value it worth buying. There are a lot of other free stuff in the world I live in; TV, news, magazines, books, forums, games, a walk in the forest, hobbies, whatever.

I do spend money on what I value worth buying, not because someone tells me to or assumes I will.

And to state the obvious, it's the forum and the people on the forum that makes me visit this awesome corner of the internetworld, not the torrents that easily can be found with Google and on hundreds of other sites.

i think its funny how this site was all torrent this and torrent that! and now the fuss is on your back... its dont say torrent anymore!! i mean' date=' its always been illegal and wrong, but now people acually listen![/quote']

OK you're entitled to your opinion and it certainly seems illegal (as far as MPAA is concerned), but "wrong"?- Well that's a matter of opinion.

Yes, people's intellectual property should be protected. Yes, the creators should get a cut. But to say it's wrong to fileshare is a cop out too.

The MPAA is not about protecting the creator's rights, but rather it;s protecting the distributor's bottom line. And that's not necessarily wrong either, after all they put up the money in the first place that gets these movies/songs/shows made.

However, when you look at the history of the movie and music industries, you see many, many injustices against the very artists that they claim to represent. The Producers made incredible sums of money and quite often the artist didn't, at least not in a reasonable proportion. Slowly but surely, artists are making headway against the Industries that profits incredibly on their work, but it is slow.

That is neither here nor there I suppose, but my point is that it is just as wrong what the industries have done to artists' rights, and it is the industry which is more affected than the artists whom I may have "wronged". And I am not spending less money than I did years ago, before all this filesharing craze.

Now whether it's illegal- that's what the hub-bub is about. But "wrong"? Well....

I certainly haven't wronged anyone.

Mav said:

You do realize it is technically "stealing"?

No, I do not......Someone bought the content with money, or paid to see the content in a theater.

Nobody "stole" anything!!

Now had someone broken into their warehouse & stole the master copy, they'd have a legit gripe, but that has never happened, to my knowledge.

It's only stealing if the country you live in makes the laws work that way. In Canada, aside from our "free" healthcare which includes no prescriptions, glasses, or dentists as StichInTime pointed out, we have already paid for the right to download music in the way of a flat tax incorporated in the price of MP3 players up here. If the US government weren't such morons, they could figure out a way for Hollywood to get its damned pound of flesh and not make criminals out of most of the population of the country.

How can they claim that everybody will for sure buy something' date=' they can't get for free...[/quote']

That's one of the key points they always ignore. I don't make enough money to go and buy all the seasons of all the Star Trek, Stargate, etc DVDs. If I had that kind of disposable income, sure I'd buy them. But why should I have to wait 10 years until I'm making enough money to be able to watch what I want, when I want?

The other point they ignore is the group of people who go out and buy stuff BECAUSE and ONLY BECAUSE they had downloaded it first. I've spent hundreds (and will spend hundreds more) buying various anime DVDs that I never would have had I not downloaded them first. (Hell, one series I bought the first DVD for with a month or so, IIRC, of watching the copy I had downloaded)

Noone's ever called the MPAA on these things, though. It's quite a shame. :(

I would like to thank everybody here for the amazing "community spirit" that has been shown here in the past .

A special thanks to Nite himself and all those other sharing minded souls.

I guess the oracle from the crappy third matrix movie was right though..

"Everything that has a beginning ; has an end"

Good luck to you all ;)

Assuming one was too have some torrents from Niteshdw, what should one do with them now? seeing how they are incomplete, should one abandon them? or keep them in the hopes that things pick up?

Hypothetically of course.

Well, if I'm music artist and I release a torrent of my songs on Tracker A, then someone downloads them and makes another torrent out of those files (without doing anything that changes their structure) and uploads it to Tracker B, then if something happened to Tracker A, someone who hadn't finished downloading them could download the torrent file from Tracker B and resume to the files he had started from A.

I agree we all owe Nite a lot for the wonderful thing he has made available for us. However let me point out that as of yet we do not know HIS reason for taking the files down or weather he will put them back or if they are gone for good.

So it would be nice if he would pop in and make a comment of what is going on and where he stands in all this.

And I guess that I am even doing what the MPAA calls stealing when I watch TV because I can tell you I do NOT watch commercials I turn the TV off and seance the commercial break lasts about 2 min then I don't miss any of you show that or I mute it or walk out of the room so I guess that seance I don't watch the commercials I am stealing.

Maybe some of we users of this site can help make sure the torrents stay out there...

I had just finshed downloading the collection of all the Star Trek movies for example. I'm going to creat a new torrent file and associate it with the Pirate Bay tracker as well as any other free trackers I can find. Then at least the torrents will still be availble through another tracker.

My burning question is should the "Niteshdw" tag still stay on the torrent filename? If it stays on it'll be a lot easier for other Netizens to find these great-quality encodes, but could bring further heat to Nite. If I remove the "Niteshdw" tag from the torrent filenames, it'll be harder to find but nothing can come back to Nite.

Any suggestions?

This is scary now - it's Friday and I don't know where my next ep of Battlestar is going to come from... :stare: