The Facts

S0V13T

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while picking your battles wisely is a good choice the prize at stake here is freedom of speech . In a country that seems to so easily be giving away its civil rights the line must be drawn . while Nite has not the resources to fight this fight know that there are others who do . Know that the case that I am talking about is under way and supported by the A C L U . in conjunction with some other sites . so Nite need not fight this battle for the battle is already under way

- T

"Hopefully one day downloading tv will be legal. " - Crewman thearrogantq

Oh i'm sure one day it shall be... say off a future iMovie.com or some such pay site, once they figure out how to make money out of internet downloads.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!

Or so i've heard....

while picking your battles wisely is a good choice the prize at stake here is freedom of speech . In a country that seems to so easily be giving away its civil rights the line must be drawn . while Nite has not the resources to fight this fight know that there are others who do . Know that the case that I am talking about is under way and supported by the A C L U . in conjunction with some other sites . so Nite need not fight this battle for the battle is already under way

- T

**Sorry, but I couldnt let this soap box go by... (this is not a flame so dont treat it as such please). **

Uh... Freedom of Speech? How is downloading torrents a freedom of speech issue? I would be interested to talk to an Iranian or North Korean (who can be killed for questioning their govts) about their views on what freedom of speech means to them, and then compare it to the issue of downloading torrents in the USA.

As for the ACLU, they are the biggest threat to American freedom there is; telling us, in the name of freedom, what we can and cannot do. The ACLU is for freedom for everyone who thinks ideologicaly alike themselves, and is for shutting down and taking away freedoms from those who are not.

**End of Soap box**

**Sorry, but I couldnt let this soap box go by... (this is not a flame so dont treat it as such please). **

Uh... Freedom of Speech? How is downloading torrents a freedom of speech issue?

I completely agree. I believe downloading video is an 'intellectual property' issue, just like downloading music.

The reason there hasnt been an official notice or accusation list, Is they are just trying to scare the owners of these sites... They have no legal right to sue the owners for allowing TV shows to be swapped... MPAA has started this new campaign in terror to try and scare away sharing of TV Programs, They are also trying to go after ISP for this also, But most have brushed them off due to the fact that its pure nonsense and totally legal to share TV Shows... I never purused enough of NITESHDWS site to see if any movies were being shared, as I was only looking for certain TV Series... I would like to ADD this site was awsome, and had a great number of the Series Ive been trying to find... Its too bad to hear the towel has been thrown in... So hopefully NITESHDW wont sweat it too much....

Actually Isohunt and Torrentspy have had charges formally pressed against them.

This may be because after recieving the same warning as all the other sites, they kept chugging along as usual (they still are in fact).

I pray that the same thing hasn't happen to NiteShdw.

Do you all remember when Nite got that cease and desist letter in regards to a movie that he didnt even have on his site? I wouldnt be surprised if this is similiar... no real case against him but just him being caught in a "net" being thrown out to grab torrent sites.

This is really sad. Nite is a realist and committing financial suicide is not an option when you have a family to consider. The forum is great and will continue to flourish if we want it to.

As far as lost torrents go, they are still out there. The Armed Forces of the western world all know, for every enemy you knock out, four more will appear out of the woodwork in due time. Just keep your eyes open. New trackers and torrent sites appear every day of the week.

I hope Nite managed to duck quickly enough to avoid further action against him and I wish him and his family well.

In the meantime, sci-fi discussion anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

- Do not post comments like "death to the MPAA, let's bomb them / crash an airplane into their buildings, lets start our own network, etc" as death threats, terrorisim, and conspiracy are widely concitered to be a criminal acts in the free world, and will not be tolerated on these boards. We are science fiction fans, not wanna be terrorists.

It would be an interesting experiment to become "blessingists." Pray to whatever Gods you may believe in, or simply focus your intent for a few minutes that things work out OK for Nite. Then ...

... and this is the hard one: do the same for the MPAA. They may be misguided, they may be hurtful, but in the end, what have any of us to lose by doing so? The worst we can do is improve our own mental state.

Anger (such as would prompt "terrorist" language) is a natural defensive emotion. This MPAA group is out to harm our benefactor and friend, Niteshdw. That is a threat to all of us. We should feel some anger at that.

But anger only helps in a mano y mano fight. Otherwise, it damages the body and psyche. To become engraged at the MPAA is to harm ourselves. Suppressing anger, however, is physically harmful also. The simplest solution is to reframe the problem: what are other ways to think about the MPAA's actions.

Forgive the MPAA, for they are misguided. Say a prayer or focus your heart on blessings for the people who make up the MPAA (not for their cause or actions). In a PM months ago, Niteshdw told me how he endeavors to "hate the sin and love the sinner." (We weren't discussing the MPAA)

Can we learn to hate the behavior and love the inddividuals responsible for it? If for no other reason that it reflects Nite's ethics and practice?

• 5 weeks later...

Sad to see....

A little story I would like to relive and I hope the message inside this story is clear.

I am an Australian and more accurately from Melbourne Victoria. Quite a few years ago as 'Australian Rules' football was moving from a state based league to a nation based league some of the state clubs were pressured to relocate out of the state, merge or be expelled from the league. One of the poorer clubs at the time (Footscray) resisted both the merger and relocation pressure and the League proceeded to expell the club. Knowing the risks of the potential costs of losing a defence a consortium of supporters including a legal team mounted a defence on behalf of one of the club members (just a supporter). This member was a grandmother with basically no assets and only a government pension.

The legal team actually won the case challenging the legality of the league's actions.... BUT... if they had lost then there was no possible way for either the league or the government to recover any costs, as this woman had no assets and her pension being basically on the subsistence line meant that the most she could lose MAY have been $5 per week, which I speculate the consortium had guaranteed (informally of course) in the event they lost the case....

I am no legal expert, but I believe a strategy against these (insert nasty names here) lies in the very same principle... Launching a counter attack with lawsuits from people with nothing to lose... two possible outcomes here... Firstly, one might actually WIN!!!! (notice I said MIGHT)... or secondly the same principle as a DOS attack... use up their resources fighting off multiple actions questioning their legal right to pursue innocent people!!!!

I wonder how long it would take them to fight off an injunction???? *purely speculation*

Somehow, I imagine that angry people are more likely to actually achieve results than people up themselves with airy fairy notions of love, understanding and forgiveness.

Unless you're carebears and can fire some kind of lovebeam at the MPAA pragmatism is going to be a more useful mindset than new aged nonsense. Even God said he'd only help those who help themselves.

Sure, getting angry at the MPAA and stamping your foot like some petulant child isn't going to help stop their reign of tyranny but then again, neither is crossing your legs and humming.