My Father.........

VonHelton

As you now know, my father is in the hospital, and has been for several days.

Unfortunately the dye test they took today showed he had 100% blockages in most of his arteries, so they are sending him to St Josef's in Lexington, Ky. He will arrive there sometime tommorrow.

Those that wish to call or visit may do so. The prognosis is grim to impossible.....

Ask for patient "Irvin Helton".

For those of you who don't know, my father is a true hero. He served as a 40mm gunner on a fast frigate, as part of a destroyer screen. He fought in almost every major naval engagement, and witnessed first-hand the "divine wind" of Japan.

The WW2 veterans are leaving us, and this may be your only chance to touch the past. I'm sure he'd appreciate a visit or a phone call of encouragement.

.....Just tell him your a freind of his son's.

:(

I'll light a green candle for his health.

My father was in WW2 also. He was assigned to the Phillipines mostly. Smoking was a big thing back then and it eventually weakened his lungs where cancer could eat him up. He died when I was still young.

When his time comes, at least you'll have memories and know how much you both cared for each other. Be sure to tell him while you have that chance. :(

I'm sorry to hear this, I wish you both a lot of strength for the times to come. I hope you still get the chance to make some important memories.

I lost my father unexpectedly a few weeks ago so I know how you must feel :(

One story I can recall that stuck with me......

His ship (FF-51) had sustained heavy damage in one of the later campaigns in the Pacific.

(It was well after Coarl Sea & Midway)

The Japanese were throwing wave after wave of Kates & Vals at his carrier group, and his ship in particular. A near miss had caused the starbord side of the hull to buckle, and fires had broken out amid-ships.

His "pod" (the area where his gun was) was near the flames. He & his loader had fired the gun so many times that in conjunction with the flames on board, the heat had bent the barrels.

He had taken a break to man the water hose to keep the fire from getting to his ammo. About that time, a couple of kates were bearing down on his ship. Whether by accident, or divine intervention, he had swung the water hose on the barrels of his gun.

The barrels bent back straight, and he was able to shoot down the kates before they sunk the ship. Thereafter, every time the barrels got too hot, he'd take a water hose to them.

The reason I know this story is true is because he kept insisting that it was a "team effort". I know this is bull, because the "team" was busy putting out fires all over the ship!

.....But that's the type of guy he is.

:stare: