How did Doctor Who survive?

motoxjesse

I dont know if this topic comes up all the time, but wat was the reason that Doctor Who was on TV for soooo long? Im not sure as to how long exactly of how many seasons, but i know it was alot, and as good as i think it is, i know it wasnt like that for everyone. so yeah any thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for me, I feel the reason it survived so long was due to its appeal to both children and adults especially in the 60s and 70s and the early 80s. The escapism and adventure of travelling in time and space was enough for most people to get away from the drudgery of real life, ESPECIALLY in that era, if you remember the cold war days as I do!

I knew something was going wrong with the show after Colin Baker, the quality was starting to wain and the regualr Saturday slots were no longer....regular. ANd the children of those earlier days were mostly grown up and no longer interested, only the die hard fans survived I guess. Michael Grade, the BBC controller at the time was IMHO the main reason for the death of Dr Who at the end of the 80s. Selling it to the States in 1996 for the Movie, as we all know just didnt work so along came Russell T. Davis, a long time fan (probably one of those die hard children I spoke of) and revived Dr Who to what it was in the classic days...only MUCH BETTER! Long live Dr Who I say!

Limitless possibilities. Every time the show got tired they could add some new element to it easily and still be inside the established framework. So many different people contributed so many different ideas that it's bound to appeal to a wide range of people. The Universe of Doctor Who is just so huge.

According to some of the people involved with the series, the show surivived primarily becuase they couldn't think of anything better to replace it with. After each series/season the production staff would be asked to come up with new ideas for shows to replace Doctor Who. BBC management would then look over the ideas and, generally, decide that the concepts were not as good as Dr Who, or would cost too much, etc.

I agree with drken although some of the concepts added didnt work that well k9 for instance.... although this was the heyday of my dr who memories that damn robot dog was able to do way to much. Kind of a cross between R2D2 with a laser gun and Orac (Blake's 7), but it was as daft as a brush when it came to it and i gave a big affermative when it was killed off .... it also would call the doctor the master now how wrong was that lol the damn stupid thing must have had its morallity chip screwed up from the start.

Well i do have a soft spot for k9 but he is my least favourite companion but damn would still sooner watch a k-9 episode than any star trek... sorry trekkie fans but its my view lol. The best thing about the k9 period tho is Romana and the big shame in my mind was having Romana leave when k9 did, but it was a good story.

I dont remember ever seeing K-9' date=' maybe us canadians werent alowed....lol[/quote']

Oh, yes we were. :cyclops:

As for Romana II leaving, I didn't like her anyway; I preferred Romana I and was disappointed when she was replaced. :o

As for DW vs. Trek that's a difficult comparison for me, as I think they are quite different, each with it's own pros and cons.

If I had to make a choice right now, though, I would probably go with the classic WHO. :cyclops:

Glad to see we agree on something at least stitchintime Classic Who is... well Classic.

I do like star trek and if Dr Who and Star trek were screened at the same time on diff stations i would watch the Who but record the trek for later viewing. Yes they are completely different from each other but I would call myself a Who fan not a trekkie and after that a sci-fi fan. I love almost anything Sci-fi which is why i love this forum.

I can name practically every assistant and doctor and many of the support cast involved in almost any episode, I know i have no such knowledge of Star trek tho i do know a surprising amount when i think about it.

I think to compare something against Star Trek it would usually be Star Wars, again (bar jah jah binks and company) i would sooner watch star wars also then star trek.

I do have favourite episodes the seeds of Ellysium (where Spock falls in love) is high on my list but i have that on VHS so would still watch dr who in preferance.

Our differences are what makes human beings so fascinating, so I will stick to my guns and say Dr Who anytime over star trek

Doctor Who v The Tomorrow People mmmmmm now that is tough!!!

The tomorrow people is ITV's finest sci-fi program it is about the next evolution of humanity... Homo Superiour normal humans are called Sap's lol as in homo Sapian heres a few links btw if anyone is interested

http://www.visimag.com/culttimes/cx36_instant.htm

http://www.effdee.demon.co.uk/tp/tomorrow_people.htm

I really should buy the boxset for this as i am missing all of season four and cant find it online anywhere :(

You have good taste in literature dude :) more the crysalids for sure, the first of this new race type story. But is kind of childhoods end but with natural evolution rather than alien intervention.

You really should see some, it has the same niaevity and low budget as DR Who, but as with the Doctor, very interesting plots that more than make up for the low budget.